Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2013:Creating a Surface-Using PNEZD, not PENZD. Why?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
scottchang
2060 Views, 6 Replies

C3D 2013:Creating a Surface-Using PNEZD, not PENZD. Why?

Hi all,

On Page 140 of the book "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013" written by L. Holland and K. Mercier (Sybex/John Wiley & Sons, Inc.),for Chapter 4 SURFACES,  I saw "(Step) 9. Set the Specfy Point File Format to PNEZD (Comma Delimited).  Make sure it is PNEZD or your results will be off completely. I don't know why we should use PNEZD (not PENZD) to create a Surface?  Please tell me why we should use PNEZD (not PENZD) to create a surface.

Thanks,

Scott Chang

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: scottchang

I prefer to use DPENZ 🙂

The point they are making is that you can use any format so long as you always use the correct matching format. As there is a PENZD and a PNEZD format that are easily mistakable (we have all done it and caused a lot of head scratching before we realise the school boy error) I think its nice they are trying to save you face.

Basically if your point file is EN and you import it as NE then the points will be wrong. Whatever way you use, be consistant and only use that format (E/N/Z etc) that way you wont be caught out.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 7
scottchang

Hi Mike, Thanks for your response.

Your response cleared up my understainding of the using right inpt data format more.

One question to ask you: Why do you prefer the DPENZ format? Is the "D" for "Description" in input?

Please respond.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott Chang  

Message 4 of 7
neilyj666

NE is more an American thing: in the UK, Eastings are always quoted before Northings.....and D is indeed for description

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 7
MikeEvansUK

"DPENZ" (DEPENDS)? Gerrit?
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 6 of 7
caddguru
in reply to: neilyj666

Neil,

More than a regional thing, I've recently found the difference to be a vendor issue. For example, my Sokkia Total Station uses PENZD. I happen to like that because it matches PXYZD.

It seems there isn't a universal standard. If there is ever one, PXYZD would be nice.

Warm regards from Los Angeles,

Emmanuel

Message 7 of 7
sboon

Many many years ago in school it was explained to me by the surveying instructor using this example.

Hold out your left hand, palm facing towards you, with the thumb pointing up.  Your thumb represents Northings and your index finger is the Eastings.  Bearings are measured clockwise from your thumb.

Now switch to palm facing away from you and with your thumb sticking out to the side.  Your thumb now represents the X, and your index finger the Y values of a Cartesian coordinate system.  Angles are still measured from the direction your thumb is pointing, and increase in a counter-clockwise direction.  If you're a surveyor calculating Sin, Cos and Tan in the field then it's easier to sort out which value goes where in the equations if you vizualize it that way.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report