Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3d 2011 Deployment issues

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
BCogsCAD
549 Views, 6 Replies

C3d 2011 Deployment issues

Downloaded 64bit > Extracted

From 64bit win 7 machine run installer > deployment mode

Nowhere to create custom Icons or edit support paths for minor customizations...

Since 2006/2008 I've been able to customize the installs a bit .... now only 8 pages of customizations vs the normal 12-14...

Anyone else use them?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: BCogsCAD

The deployment options that were in place were never actually sticking
to the default C3D icons that were created and placed on your desktop,
so those options were removed in 2011. Our hope is that most people will
customize on their test deployment, then use that arg file to push a
profile out to other users within their firm. Ideally, you would use a
GPO to manage the delivery of your custom profile across the network.

I know this isn't much help, but hope it clarifies the issue.

JW
Message 3 of 7
idmadcadder

Interesting solution. Removing something instead of making it work? Setting up the Vanilla AutoCAD deployment was slick, and it all stuck through the installation. I'm not saying this is an easy or not easy fix, but this has been broken for a while as you stated, and AutoCAD is the core, it would seem fixable. I was really looking forward to the whole deployment and installation procedure this year, especially after the Vanilla AutoCAD ran so smoothly, till I realized how quickly I was able to setup the C3D deployment...because there was nothing to setup. Dissapointment with regards to this area of the software. I guess my "hope" is that you'll get it fixed for next years version. End rant.

Brent Daley
Civil Designer/CAD Services Manager
The Land Group, Inc.
Civil 3D 2016 SP1
Windows 10 x64
Core i7 3.40 GHz 8gb RAM
Message 4 of 7
BCogsCAD

Seems there are workarounds... editing the setup.ini seems to give me back my normal functionality...

Okay... Odd...

I've heard that many people had trouble with deploying settings via the install.. yet all my installs have been seemingly fine...
Our trouble almost always has been with other factors... like 32bit and low memory issues...

Now I would imagine that my support paths being read only for 98% of users causes some slowness on startup but other than that my crashes are almost always low memory errors... or the fact that I have drawings that have other corruption in them....

the support path edits seem to work great as long as you don't over do them... has worked for every one I've done...

However I really like the Arg setup however what if someone chooses to change their setup?

now they are changing the deployment arg file?
or I need to path them a new one? locally on their machine?

with 2008 / 2010 I could copy a local arg file via the installation deployment then create one icon (2010) with parameters to a local install of c:\c3dprofile\file.arg that seems it would work better... but all of that functionality is gone right?

so what is the best deployment "By the Book"
Message 5 of 7
reenienal

I found it quite convenient to be able to edit the support file search paths and add files to my deployment image. It aided in adherence to company standards and allowed me to create a customized desktop icon that would always load the correct profile. All I would have to do is run the deployment and I was done.

I am very disappointed that this has been removed from Civil 3D 2011. It's enough to make Benley InRoads more appealing.
Message 6 of 7
ThomasGlidewell
in reply to: reenienal

I have to agree i was very happy that the Custom Icon creation was in the 2010 Deplyoment set up and didn't have any issues with it. Why did they have to take it out? I know there are work arounds for this but come on.

Message 7 of 7

Can someone detail the resolution/hack to get those screens back?

Thx

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report