Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2010 Ribbon glitch

64 REPLIES 64
Message 1 of 65
Anonymous
471 Views, 64 Replies

C3D 2010 Ribbon glitch

I've been running C3D 2010 for a few days now after switching from 2009. I'm getting a reoccuring error wih the ribbion. The ribbon and quick access toolbar will stop working. They are still visible on the screen and C3D hasn't frozen or crashed I just can't select anything on the ribbon. I can still access commands via the toolbars and menubar. The ribbon will do this at random, however it seems to do this after Crtl-Tab switch between drawings the most(not everytime). I've tried to close the ribbon or switch drawings, but it still remains frozen. Currently the only way I've found to fix it is to restart C3D.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone know of a work around or think that a reinstall or repair may make a difference?
64 REPLIES 64
Message 2 of 65
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have one 2010 machine running with the same
issue. Ribbon frozen with out a cursor showing over it. The rest of the
application is working normal & we can type commands.

I just restart for now. I will try a repair when I
can get the user off the machine.

--
John Mayo, PE

Civil 3D 2009 SP2.1, LDT 2009 SP2.1, Raster Design 2009 SP1
P-IV at 3.5
GHz, 2 GB Ram, Nvidea Quadro FX w/ 128 MB Ram

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I've
been running C3D 2010 for a few days now after switching from 2009. I'm
getting a reoccuring error wih the ribbion. The ribbon and quick access
toolbar will stop working. They are still visible on the screen and C3D hasn't
frozen or crashed I just can't select anything on the ribbon. I can still
access commands via the toolbars and menubar. The ribbon will do this at
random, however it seems to do this after Crtl-Tab switch between drawings the
most(not everytime). I've tried to close the ribbon or switch drawings, but it
still remains frozen. Currently the only way I've found to fix it is to
restart C3D. Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone know of a work around or
think that a reinstall or repair may make a
difference?
Message 3 of 65
thejac

I've seen a similar issue happen in other previous versions of CAD. When I had this happen, it was because an input box or dialogue box was open off the screen where you can't see it. So it looks like CAD is frozen but really it's just waiting for input and you can't see the input window.

If that happens again try these things and see if it works:

Try changing your screen resolution to larger if possible, or smaller and see if that snaps the input window over.

Try press ALT, then Spacebar, then select Move, then press the arrow keys and see if it moves the window back where you can see it.

Hope this helps

Jesse

Jesse Cook
The Land Group, Inc.
www.thelandgroupinc.com
Message 4 of 65
Anonymous

I'll have the user give it a shot & post
back.

Thanks.

--
John Mayo, PE

Civil 3D 2009 SP2.1, LDT 2009 SP2.1, Raster Design 2009 SP1
P-IV at 3.5
GHz, 2 GB Ram, Nvidea Quadro FX w/ 128 MB Ram

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I've
seen a similar issue happen in other previous versions of CAD. When I had this
happen, it was because an input box or dialogue box was open off the screen
where you can't see it. So it looks like CAD is frozen but really it's just
waiting for input and you can't see the input window. If that happens again
try these things and see if it works: Try changing your screen resolution to
larger if possible, or smaller and see if that snaps the input window over.
Try press ALT, then Spacebar, then select Move, then press the arrow keys and
see if it moves the window back where you can see it. Hope this helps
Jesse
Message 5 of 65
Anonymous

Just for the record.  I have not seen
this.

YET !

Bill

style="MARGIN: 5pt 0in; mso-pagination: none; mso-layout-grid-align: none">
face=Arial size=2>Civil 3D

face=Arial size=2>Intel i7 
Extreme Edition 3.20 GHz

Gigabyte MB

Corsair Dominator 12 Gb Ram

Fast Raid drives (2)

Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT

Using Windows 7 x 64 Ultimate
(Beta)
Message 6 of 65
Anonymous

WAG. Is the user switching between a drawing that
was last used on a two monitor setup, and is now using a one monitor setup? I
have randomly had this problem in the past where a drawing doesn't "know" it has
switched to a one monitor setup, and  opens a dialog on the other
non-existent screen.

Tim

Just for the record.  I have not seen
this.

YET !

Bill

face=Arial size=2>Civil 3D

face=Arial size=2>Intel
i7  Extreme Edition 3.20 GHz

Gigabyte MB

Corsair Dominator 12 Gb Ram

Fast Raid drives (2)

Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT

Using Windows 7 x 64 Ultimate
(Beta)
Message 7 of 65
Anonymous

We currntly have this exact same problem on civil 3d 2010 but in the opposite situation from Tim. We went from 1 monitor to 2. We are currently running 3d 2010 on a vista 64 bit machine so I hope that is not part of the problem and only 1 of my 3 users are expirencing this. I'll have him try the alt, spacebar and move fix and report back on how it goes.

Edited by: rsmeby on Apr 30, 2009 7:18 PM Edited by: rsmeby on Apr 30, 2009 7:19 PM
Message 8 of 65
thejac

Hopefully that works for you. As mentioned by others, this tends to happen with multiple monitors. The alt, spacebar move trick should hopefully allow you "grab" the window, and then move it back.

Jesse Cook
The Land Group, Inc.
www.thelandgroupinc.com
Message 9 of 65
Anonymous

I am having the exact same experience, everything works accept not through the ribbon or quick access toolbar. It shows up but is not selectable. I have my vcard set to force dialogues to show up on 1 of my 2 monitors. If there was a dialogue box open off screen nothing would work. It would act more like it was hung. In this situation though I can work as normal just not with the ribbon. Only a restart has worked for me. What vcard and driver are you using?

Name : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Manufacturer : NVIDIA
Chip set : GeForce 8800 GTX
Memory : 768 MB
Driver : 8.15.0011.8585
Current application driver: direct3d10.hdi
Message 10 of 65
corboto

This has been happening to me since day one with 2010. At first I thought I had caused the problem because I was in the CUI messing around. Then I reset the civil.cui file and it kept happening. Restarting the application gets the ribbon to work again, however, at random it will stop operating. A much quicker way to get the ribbon to begin functioning again is to open the CUI and modify your workspace file. Actually, you don't have to make any permanent changes, just uncheck something then check it back, this will now let you hit the "apply" button. Once you do that and close the CUI the ribbon will function again. But only for a time. Then you've got to do it all over again.

I have repaired my installation but that has not worked. I was thinking about reinstalling but since a lot of people are having this problem that probably won't work. Hopefully this problem will be addressed soon.
Message 11 of 65
mikeshick

in another thread, I posted:

I've been having some display troubles with Civil 3D 2010, and Architecture 2010. I'm using a GTX 285 with dual digital monitors. Both Autodesk products when maximized slightly overlap onto adjacent screen by about 1/8". This didn't happen with 09 products, or with any other software ever. This is the first time I've had the issue.

Secondly, ribbons. This problem only applies to my C3D application. My defult setting for ribbons is to leave them with heading minimized. If I am using them a lot, then I expand them. However, I don't know the sequence that proceeds, but quite often my ribbons sort of become disabled, and I can no longer select anything on the ribbons until I restart the program.

Any ideas what the problems might be?

Also, is cross-posting acceptable, since this problem may be an autocad related problem, and groups that there are many other categories that may have answers?

Thanks.
Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 12 of 65
mikeshick

in another thread, I posted:

I've been having some display troubles with Civil 3D 2010, and Architecture 2010. I'm using a GTX 285 with dual digital monitors. Both Autodesk products when maximized slightly overlap onto adjacent screen by about 1/8". This didn't happen with 09 products, or with any other software ever. This is the first time I've had the issue.

Secondly, ribbons. This problem only applies to my C3D application. My defult setting for ribbons is to leave them with heading minimized. If I am using them a lot, then I expand them. However, I don't know the sequence that proceeds, but quite often my ribbons sort of become disabled, and I can no longer select anything on the ribbons until I restart the program.

Any ideas what the problems might be?

Also, is cross-posting acceptable, since this problem may be an autocad related problem, and groups that there are many other categories that may have answers?

Thanks.
Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 13 of 65
mikeshick

When the ribbon becomes "disabled", so does the quick acess toolbar.
Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 14 of 65
Matt.Anderson

Just a shot in the dark - but have you tried repairing .NET? The Ribbon is built with WPF which relies on the .NET and the GPU for great functionality.

Matthew Anderson, PE
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 15 of 65
corboto

I repaired my .net installation per your advice and no dice, the ribbon is still freezing up on my machine. I thought that might be the answer as my ribbon worked for over an hour afterwards but in the end it's now frozen again. Thanks though.

Corbitt
Message 16 of 65
Anonymous

I have the ribbon freezing problem as well. i notice it the most when i open another drawing in C3D 2010 and then close it.
has anyone developed any insight into this matter?

-Mark P.
Message 17 of 65
MikeEvansUK

I have not yet seen this either.

Civil2010 British English version. DotNet3.5.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 18 of 65
kwyatt

It is happening to me also. I have just switched to a 64bit operating system (Vista 64 Ultimate) and I also run two monitors. Video card is NVIDIA 8800 GTX. It is quite annoying but I guess it could be worse.

kaw
Message 19 of 65
Anonymous

I am also having this issue and it's rather annoying. I had a corridor
selected and went to click on the section editor for the corridor when
the ribbon just "froze". It shows up fine, but I just can't click on
anything. I switched my workspace to the map one, then back again and
it's still doing it. So I selected my corridor, right clicked, and
picked the edit/view section. Now that I saw it, I can't click the big
X (Close) on the ribbon to get back out. Civil 3D is now stuck in the
viewing of a corridor section.

You know, I like the idea behind the ribbon, but it just doesn't work as
intended. It's slow as heck to load, especially when a civil object is
selected, it locks up all the time, and it takes way to many clicks to
do stuff compared to toolbars and menus.

EB42
-----------------------------
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Xeon Quad-core E5320
4GB RAM
(3) 250GB HDD
Civil 3D 2010

kwyatt@rileyco.org wrote:
> It is happening to me also. I have just switched to a 64bit operating system (Vista 64 Ultimate) and I also run two monitors. Video card is NVIDIA 8800 GTX. It is quite annoying but I guess it could be worse.
>
> kaw

--
Message 20 of 65
Anonymous

I had the same issue when running my VISTA test, but have not had it a single time running WIN 7 tests.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report