Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2010 on Windows XP?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
186 Views, 5 Replies

C3D 2010 on Windows XP?

How many of you are running Civil 3D 2010 on Windows XP? Are you running without the 3 gig switch? How is it performing overall? My office will have growing pains with the ribbon (which I'm preparing for) but wanted to know how it was performing on the hardware end. I'm very excited about all the new features and want to install it now. Thanks ahead of time.

Fred Mitchell

G&A
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I run it at home on Windows XP Pro with just 2 gigs
of ram. It's a little slow compared to work where I had the 3 gigs and the
switch going. But no major crashes, yet.

--

Lance W.

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
How
many of you are running Civil 3D 2010 on Windows XP? Are you running without
the 3 gig switch? How is it performing overall? My office will have growing
pains with the ribbon (which I'm preparing for) but wanted to know how it was
performing on the hardware end. I'm very excited about all the new features
and want to install it now. Thanks ahead of time.

Fred
Mitchell

G&A
Message 3 of 6
Matt.Anderson

Running just fine. The only issue I have been having with with the 3 GB switch on and some video drivers running dual monitors.

It is not any slower than 2009 in my humble opinion. Just more stable...

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

It was unusable for us. Unless of course you don't mind the out of memory error popping up constantly. We break all of our design up based on vault workflow suggestions so our files are as small as we can have them, and our dual core amd 3.0ghz with 4gb of ddr2 800mhz ram did not work for us. We are switching to Vista 64-bit/Win 7 depending on when budget gets approved and going form 4gb of RAM to 8gb of RAM. Several places have 8gb kits for ~$100. As for the ribbon, just give it a chance there are some commands that will not function without it, both new and old, ie edit xref in place. Good luck.
Message 5 of 6
MikeEvansUK

I have run2010 (beta and final) on a Hp notebook with XPHome & 1GB of ram, no 3gb switch all fine but obviously not very fast to do things there.

My Work PC has XP Pro, 3GB Ram and the 3GB Switch it runs very smooth indeed only occasional problems due to millions of points etc (usual stuff).

Don't forget there's a "Disable Map" addons script available for 2010 & 2009 from the product support knowledge base, that frees up more memory (85mb) to the system so if you get any issues give it a try.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 6 of 6
Matt.Anderson

and don't forget the system paging file size. Out of memory errors are more indicative of a loss of continguous address space in the total available memory than just in RAM alone.

Check out http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert/archive/2009/06/08/out-of-memory-does-not-refer-to-physical-memory.aspx
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report