Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3 2013 Survey Tutorials: Error in Step 5 of Exercise 5 of Survey Setup

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
scottchang
328 Views, 7 Replies

C3 2013 Survey Tutorials: Error in Step 5 of Exercise 5 of Survey Setup

Hi all,

From the Survey Tutorials in the HELP of Civil 3D 2013, I started the Tutorial: Survey Setup - I did Exercise 1: Creating a Survey Database, Exercise 2: Setting the Equipment and Figure Prefix Databases, Exercise 3: Adjusting Settings, Excise 4: Setting Styles, and I am trying to do Exercise 5: Setting Up a Linework Code Set: In the Step 5 "In Toolspace, on the Survey tab, expand the Linework Code Sets collection, Right-click Sample. Click Edit." - see my first attached file. I believe it is wrong to do "Right-click Sample" for doing "Edit", because "Survey 1", not "Sample" is the thing for Survey Setup. I can't not get the "Edit" in the "Sample" in the Survey tab - see my second attached file. I think that a new "Survey 1" should be created in the Step 5 of Exercise 5 of Survey Setup.  Please kindly help and advise/confirm this matter.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Chang    

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Pointdump
in reply to: scottchang

Hi Scott,

Sample is locked, which would explain not being able to edit it.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 8
scottchang
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi Dave, Thanks for your response.

The "Sample" was given by the C3D 2013 software program, when my C3D 2013 was installed. Is it for the "Survey 1" Survey Setup? I don't know how to unlock the existing, illustrating "Sample" in the Survey tab.  I am confused by your response and I am completly lost in understanding/executing the statements of 2 bullats (related to Survey-X.fbk and Survey-1.fbk) in this Step 5.  Please kindly help, clarify and enlighten me.

Thanks again,

Scott Chang     

Message 4 of 8
Pointdump

Hi Scott,

I've never used Survey Database. I just noted the red circle over the pencil. I tried to make a copy of Sample, but a right-click on "Copy of Sample" brings up the same menu. I think I'll go have a look at that tutorial.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 5 of 8
Pointdump

Scott,

I just did the Survey Setup Tutorials, and I agree with you. I think they missed a step creating a Linework Code Set named Survey 1.

Code_Sets.png

If you want to make a new Linework Code Set, right-click Linework Code Sets, select "New" and type in "Survey 1" in the New Linework Code Set dialogue box. Then right-click Survey 1 and select "Make Current." Survey 1 will show in Bold Type and a right-click will then allow you to Edit.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 6 of 8
scottchang
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi Dave, Thanks for your nice, valuable response.

I am glad to know you agree with me in the missing step they made in the Step 5. But, before I click "Make Current" for the Survey 1, do I have to do (i) some things on the Properties of Survey 1 in Linework Code Set and (ii) some things for the 2 bullats (related to Survey-X.fbk and Survey-1.fbk that are totally new to me)? I think that (i) and (ii) are important and have to be correctly done, before I can continue to do the next set of Totorial: Importing Survey Data.  Please kindly help and figure out what should be done for (i) and (ii) - In the Step 5, I saw "....Compare the codes with the line you select in the text editor. The select lines define the beginning of a top of curb figure: * In Survey-X.fbk, ......descrition (TC1) and XYZ coordinates.  * In Survey-1, the selected line contains information that .......is simpler and more flexible than Survey-X.fbk.   Compare the characters in Survey-1.fbk to the values in the Edit Linework Code Set dialog box.  ..........one vertical offset" (please see my second attached file for details). I need to do this Step 5 correctly and completely, before I go on to the next set of Tutorial: Importing Survey Data. Thus, please figure out what should be done for (i) and (ii) and give me your detailed instructions to complete the Step 5 in Exercise: Setting Up a Linework Code Set.

Many Thanks,

Scott Chang 

Message 7 of 8
scottchang

Correction to my last thread: see the first attached file, instead of my second attached file for Exercise 5: Setting Up a Linework Code Set presented by the Civil 3D 2013 Technical Group.

Scott Chang

Message 8 of 8
Pointdump

Hi Scott,

The Tutorial doesn't ask you to do anything with those two code lines. It's just showing you the difference between the way each presents its information, and how the codes are editable. Nothing further is done with Survey-1.dwg. The next exercise, Importing Survey Data, starts off with Survey-2A.dwg.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report