Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Preowned Civil 3D software

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
abed.ddc
3462 Views, 8 Replies

Buying Preowned Civil 3D software

I have found on online as sellers wants to sell a preregistered AutoCAD Civil 3d. The advertisment were as follows:

Original Installation DVD's and Case
 - Serial # and Activation Information
 - 1-Seat, 1-Computer installation
 - Note:  This Software has been Registered and cannot be used toward future upgrades.

Can i buy the software and legally use it for commercial purposes?

Can i reregister the software for my company?

Why i can't upgrade the software?

Can anyone answer  my questions? i have a day left to decide if i want to buy it.

Email address:

abed.ddc@gmail.com

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Neilw_05
in reply to: abed.ddc

My guess is they upgraded their software and are trying to sell you their old version. I don't think it is legal.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 9
abed.ddc

Thanks for warning me.

If it is illegal how could they sell it !!

Message 4 of 9
abed.ddc

I got repond from the seller. He is saying it is legal and his explanation is as follows:

..................Full Commercial Version....yes. No Watermark like in the Student version. Fully Legal to use this on office computer. Can only be installed onto one PC. This has been removed from previous systems, but has been registered thru AutoDESK. AutoDESK will only transfer the license on company merger or buy-out.

hope this helps...

-ThX!

On Sep 4, 2010, at 3:44 PM, eBay Member: ariyanabed wrote:

..................pls. advise.

eBay sent this message to George Toot (youngjedimaster).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.

This member has a question for you.

Do not respond to the sender if this message requests that you complete the transaction outside of eBay. This type of offer is against eBay policy, may be fraudulent, and is not covered by buyer protection programs. Learn More.

Dear youngjedimaster,

I want to use this software in a single PC & want to use professional purposes. It shoulw be able to Print/Plot drawings that i can use for professional purposes(no water mark).
Is it fully legal to install & use in my office computer?
Is this good only for one computer?
Why i can't upgrade the software? Not clear about what you said.

pls. CC me in my office email address

abed.ddc@gmail.com

- ariyanabed

Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

AutoCAD Civil 3d 2011 / AutoCAD 2011 - Full Version

Item Id:

End time:

Sep-07-10 09:15:25 PDT

Buyer:

ariyanabed (0)

0.0% Positive Feedback

Member since Aug-06-05 in United States

Listing Status:

This message was sent while the listing was active.

Message 5 of 9
Neilw_05

When Autocad is installed on a machine and registered, a license key is issued by Autodesk to unlock the software. That key can be printed out and used again if the software is installed on another machine. In recent years Autodesk has allowed Autocad to be installed on a second machine as a home use license. The license restricts the home install to training and educational use only. It may not be used for commercial purposes.

If the original owner used the license to upgrade their product, the old version may not be legally used by the owner or transferred. In other words the old version cannot be used simultaneously with the upgraded version. If you think about it, a company could by one license, then upgrade to a newer version at a fraction of the cost and end up with 2 licenses. Autodesk does not allow that. The old version must be retired. It may not be used or transferred.

What I suspect is you would receive the disks and a printout of the license key which would allow you to install and run the software, but it would not be legal to use it for commercial purposes. If you were to attempt to register the software, Autodesk would not consider it a valid license so you could not receive upgrades or support and could potentially face litigation.

I am not an expert on licensing so I could be wrong on this. Still I'd be wary about purchasing anything not from an authorized reseller and especially when you consider the user's nickname (youngjedimaster). That nick spells "hacker" to me. I suggest you contact Autodesk to get an official opinion.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 6 of 9
Sinc
in reply to: Neilw_05

I thought the license key was tied to the hardware, so you can't just print it out and use it to install the software on another computer...?

Sinc
Message 7 of 9
Sinc

Sounds like the guy is telling you that it has been removed from their system, so it is not being used anywhere anymore, but Autodesk refuses to recognize the license transfer unless you buy his company, or acquire his company through merger.  That would imply that you would have no subscription support or access to things like the Subscription Advantage Packs, and your purchase would not make you eligible for upgrade pricing.

Sinc
Message 8 of 9
Neilw_05
in reply to: Sinc

The license key does allow the software to be installed on more than one computer, at least it has in the past. As I mentioned, it will allow a second home use install.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 9 of 9
Murph_Map

I would not walk  away from this but RUN, even if he is offering it for $1 it's not worth the time trying to get it sorted out. All he has to do is give you ser. number that's off by one number and you are up the river with out a paddle. Also if it has been installed prior and registered then there's a good chance that you will need to email or call the authorization center to gt the activation code. When you do that they may ask for the owner (poc) that purchased the software and contact information if you do not have it you may not get the codes. Your better off downloading the trial version and replacing your motherboard and hard drive every 30 days.

There is the possibility that he is on the up and up and will give you every thing you need but I would say you have a better chance of taking that $1.00 and buy a lottery ticket.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report