Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Models in AutoCAD for Topcon GPS

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Heisman
8084 Views, 14 Replies

Building Models in AutoCAD for Topcon GPS

Hey everybody,

I work for a construction contractor and we currently have another company build models for our GPS files. We get the CAD drawings for the project from our state DOT and we then give these files to the person who builds the models for us.  These files then go on our Data collectors or the computers in our heavy equipment and are used for layout, alignment, grading, elevations, etc. 

Seeing as this usually costs us more than $1500 a project I've decided I would eventually like to be able to do this for our company.  Unfortunately, I've been having trouble finding any tutorials, training, or even information on the process of creating these models.  Does anyone here have experience with this or could point me in the right direction?  I suppose I could continue to attempt to teach myself the entire process but it would be nice to get a solid foundation from an expert. 

I hope I've explained that well enough.

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
tcorey
in reply to: Heisman

The firstest place to look is to your local Autodesk reseller, one who specializes in Civil applications. They will have staff available for consulting/training.

Next would be a remote Autodesk reseller or consultant who can work with you via an internet connection and a telephone. This forum is not really meant for making business connections, so if you want to talk further about this, you can contact me outside the forum, by telephone 530.221.2994 or email tcorey@shasta.com.

Also, there is an Autodesk classifieds new group where it is appropriate to post requests for services or to offer services.

One thing to watch for: Some firms who specialize in training will try to force a multi-day class down your throat. That's good for them, but not necessary for you. If you're comfortable around the computer and AutoCAD, a one-to-two day class should suffice to prepare you to create your own models, depending on the complexity of the projects. Discuss that with the training firm before agreeing to a course.

You probably are going to want custom training so you don't go to a training center and sit there creating parcels and adjusting traverses when what you need is the ins and outs of surfaces, grading, and probably corridors. Be sure to tell the trainer if you need to model roads with superelevation as that will add another few hours to the class.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 15
wfberry

I have a different method than Tim.  My Topcon supplier is  Hayes Instrument and they offer expert advice to handle this process and quit frankly make it rather simple.

Bill

Message 4 of 15
Heisman
in reply to: wfberry

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it.  I'll look into those options.

Message 5 of 15
dibr0804

For machine control files I used C3D 2012 and get the Trimble add on to export surface files.. I am not sure if these surface files would work with Topcon but the linework and stakeout files should.  I actually just wrote a 12 page paper on this for my thesis.  As long as you can get your surface files out and create your linework files thats all you really need, along with a calibration file (for what I do anyway) I also use site vision office to set up the projects.

Message 6 of 15
Heisman
in reply to: dibr0804

Maybe reading you're Thesis would be a good start 🙂

Message 7 of 15
dibr0804

Yea, I wrote about using cad files with gps.  If you would like I could send it to you and see if it helps you at all.

Message 8 of 15
dibr0804
in reply to: tcorey

To what Corey said about training, if you know Civil 3D real well you could probably learn how to set the rest of the stuff in a few hours. Most of the work is in cad itself and then you just have to learn how to get the usable files you need out of it, whether it be a .tin or .ttm file, etc... The rest is just importing it into another program to write the cards for the machines and put it into data collectors.

Message 9 of 15
Heisman

Sent you a PM, thanks.

Message 10 of 15
ricr

@Heisman,

I found this post and see that it is a few months old.

I am in the exact same situation and I was wondering if you found any good resources?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Message 11 of 15
Heisman
in reply to: ricr

I haven't yet. I'm hopefully taking a class soon so I'll let you know how that goes.
Message 12 of 15
roelbuentello

I'm really interested in making models for the company I work for do y'all have any good suggestions on what I need for training ?
Message 13 of 15
BradMN9HBC

Heisman, I am in the same boat as you. Did you end up getting the training needed to start building models for your company? If so, what route did you take?

Message 14 of 15
hasmi.nayum

hello sir,

i am also in the same boat, we are using topcon x73i excavtor indicator system for gradding and excavation, so being a surveyor i have to prepare project file and models for excavator indication. and for that we are using autocad/civil 3D and topcon 3D office. it would be a great help if u can send me some not of yours regarding model/project file preparation.

thanks and regards 

nayum

+973 34352215

hasmi.nayum@gmail.com

Message 15 of 15

We use civil 3d and Topcon GPS machine control where I work.

Attached is a procedure that I use to export the design from Civil 3d and Import it into Topcon 3D Office for use in Topcon machine control gear. I have put it together primarily for our staff to follow, I hope it helps you.

Speak to you Topcon dealer in order to get hold of Topcon 3D Office.

Please note the attached procedure is used to export alignments, surfaces, linework (lines and polylines) and survey control. I have tried to exchange corridors, but it keeps crashing Topcon 3D Office when I import the xml file.

The surface is exported as triangles in a dxf file as the XML file exchange results in unwanted triangles in Topcon 3D Office due to the way Civil 3D exports surfaces to XML.

The linework is transferred to provide visual guidance to the operator, but can also be used for stakeout and utility avoidance.

The majority of jobs we use GPS on, we localise the job using a Rover unit prior to installing it in the Grader Control Unit. The localisation procedure is not cover by the attached document. If you would like to now about this I can get something together for you.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report