AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Contributor
marcoarmstrong7258
Message 1 of 7 (362 Views)
Accepted Solution

bridges

362 Views, 6 Replies
01-14-2013 11:21 AM

how do you take out a section of the corridor so you can place a bridge?

Two options:

• Split the corridor into two regions and move their endpoints to leave a gap in the corridor.
  • Split the corridor into three regions and apply a new assembly to the region at the bridge.  C3d does include subassemblies for basic bridge shapes, but many people just use a Null assembly across the gap.  It may also be appropriate to use an assembly which includes the daylight subs only, with near vertical slopes.  This allows the daylight lines to be continuous across the gap so that surface boundaries etc work properly without generating any significant fill quantites in your sections.

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 2 of 7 (359 Views)

Re: bridges

01-14-2013 11:33 AM in reply to: marcoarmstrong7258

Two options:

• Split the corridor into two regions and move their endpoints to leave a gap in the corridor.
  • Split the corridor into three regions and apply a new assembly to the region at the bridge.  C3d does include subassemblies for basic bridge shapes, but many people just use a Null assembly across the gap.  It may also be appropriate to use an assembly which includes the daylight subs only, with near vertical slopes.  This allows the daylight lines to be continuous across the gap so that surface boundaries etc work properly without generating any significant fill quantites in your sections.

Contributor
marcoarmstrong7258
Message 3 of 7 (347 Views)

01-14-2013 12:02 PM in reply to: marcoarmstrong7258

thanks alot

Valued Mentor
TrevN
Message 4 of 7 (265 Views)

02-26-2013 12:32 AM in reply to: marcoarmstrong7258

Hi,

Do you know if there's a way to add bespoke bridge beams into the modeller function? We're doing a tender and it would be nice to show these beams instead of the standard one.

I think I know the answer but thought I'd ask anyway!

Cheers

Valued Mentor
david.zavislan
Message 5 of 7 (244 Views)

02-26-2013 08:23 AM in reply to: TrevN

If the beams have a static cross section, you can draw them as closed polylines and then create a subassemblies from them.  Anything more complicated than that can be created with the Subassembly Composer program.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Valued Mentor
TrevN
Message 6 of 7 (213 Views)

02-27-2013 12:42 AM in reply to: david.zavislan

Thanks for that David very helpful. 

Do you know if it's possible to then use that subassembly with the Bridge Moddler app? And if so how do you get the app to recognise the new subassembly?

Thanks again.

Valued Mentor
david.zavislan
Message 7 of 7 (187 Views)

02-27-2013 09:05 AM in reply to: TrevN

I don't think the Bridge Modeling Extension uses the Civil 3D subassemblies.  I think that it uses Revit families.   I don't use Revit Structure, so someone who does will need to confirm this.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!