Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breaklines stop working after Move?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Jeff_M
692 Views, 8 Replies

Breaklines stop working after Move?

I have a detailed grading plan that was working quite well. Pads, driveways, swales, retaining walls all defined with featurelines and added to the surface as breaklines. Architect decides to move some of the houses around, so I go about the business of moving the pads, driveways, swales, retaining walls to their new positions. All items relocated using grip edit are still working as breaklines. However, all items relocated using the Autocad Move command results in them no longer being used as breaklines. Trying to re-add them as breaklines results in the error message that they are already defined as breaklines in the surface.

So, short of removing all of the breakline sets with these items and then readding them, I see no way of getting these objects reassociated with the surface. Hopefully I'm missing something that one of you can point me to. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but there are 40 lots affected by this current change, with the likelyhood of more changes to come in the future very high.

Tested in C3D 2012 & 2015 with identical results.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Citadel2012
in reply to: Jeff_M

Have you tried deleting the feature, using the oops command, and re-adding them as breaklines to the surface?

jeff, as I'm sure your probably aware that is not typical behavior for break lines created from polylines or feature lines in a surface. once the surface is rebuilt the moved feature lines or polylines usually update the surface. I'm assuming that you have auto-rebuild on or have already tried rebuilding the surface manually. if all the break lines used to build the surface are feature lines with the same feature line style it is a simple matter to remove all break lines from the surface and select one feature line and right click select similar and re-add them to the surface. If there are both feature lines and polylines used as break lines in the surface then the process can be repeated for polylines. again, the situation is not normal. If that were happening to me I'd probably get out of c3d and restart c3d. usually when something is happening that does not add up like it this case that usually fixes the glitch.
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 4 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: dgordon

Thanks for the replies Citadel & Dan. Haven't tried the Oops, yet, as I'd forgotten about that trick. As for exiting & restarting C3D, yup did that, even rebooted the computer. Auto-rebuild is on, but also forced a rebuild. I just noticed that ALL of the pads in the surface that were added as one breakline set are no longer honored, even those that I didn't edit. I think I'll just chalk this up to another strange C3D occurrence and move on.
EESignature
Message 5 of 9
doni49

Jeff,

One more thing to try before you say uncle...

On the definition tab of the Surface properties, UNCHECK these breakline additions (in fact, I'd probably uncheck them all to be safe), apply and let it rebuild the surface.  Now turn the check boxes back on and let it rebuild the surface again.

I've had that fix some strange anomolies in the past so maybe it would work for you too.

EDIT:  The idea is that you're rebuilding the surface WITHOUT the breaklines (very much the same as deleting them from the surface) and then rebuilding it with them again.  Hopefully that will cause C3D to read the breaklines again.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 9
jmayo-EE

When you moved the Feature lines with the Move comand did you hold z constant from base point to destination point?

I think you recall the old warnings in the best practices manual regarding the move command so I might just chalk it up to that if the delta z did not = 0 through the move.

I would give the oos thing a shot. Works great. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
Joe-Bouza

Hello Jeff
Is there any possibility the FL's got copied to a different site and the edits are occuring to the ones not in the definition?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thanks Don & John, too! Don, the unchecking/checking was a good thought, and I had thought of that as well....no go. I ended up using the Erase/OOPS/re-add breaklines method. Worked just fine.

John, as for the old Move issues, I've been using move with featurelines since sometime after installing C3D2012 and hadn't noticed any issues with it. I know that earlier versions really took exception to this, but this is the first time I've seen something that MAY have been caused by doing so. As I noted, some of the breaklines which no longer worked were not edited, via either move or grip edit, they just happened to be in the same breakline set as those that were edited.

EESignature
Message 9 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe, no copied FL's. Good thought, though!
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report