Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

breakline triangles

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
lambertb
948 Views, 6 Replies

breakline triangles

I have a area of surface at a constant slope. When I only use the end points to create triangles(white) c3d returns an incorrect elevation when hovering over the surface. Is there a way to make c3d add triangle points along a breakline at an interval automatically without using the add elevation point tool? I need triangles like the red ones but only want to create/set a couple key elevation vertices (blue dots).

Thanks.

1-14-2013 7-53-44 AM.png

C3D 2022 and 2024
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
troma
in reply to: lambertb

Check the "supplementing distance" in the dialog box for adding breaklines.  Make it smaller to add more points.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Under the Modify tab of the Ribbon, select "Insert Elevation Point." (See attachment.) Select the feature line and type in the letter "I" to allow inserting points at an incremental distance apart. Type in the distance that you want between elevation points and they will be automatically inserted. Repeat for each feature line.

Message 4 of 7
lambertb
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks.

Do the elvation points update if I change the vertex elevation?

Thanks.

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 5 of 7
BrianHailey

@lambertb wrote:

Thanks.

Do the elvation points update if I change the vertex elevation?

Thanks.

If you add points to your feature/3d pline they won't update if you chang the end elevation. If you do as Troma suggested, the surface will update the suplimental distance points added when it recalcs the surface.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 7
lambertb
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

Check the "supplementing distance" in the dialog box for adding breaklines.  Make it smaller to add more points.

I wish to change the supplementing distance. I can't select the features and reimport as breaklines as I get a message, The features are already in the surface. Without figuring out every breakline set and deleting the 1 or 2 features from that and reimporting, is there another way to change the supplementing distance?

Thanks.

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 7 of 7
troma

I don't think there is a way to do this after they are added to the surface, sorry.  I've been looking for that option myself.

Here are a couple of options:

1. Go with the option of adding verticies.  Note that this will mess up any labels on the feature line.  The verticies won't automatically update to maintain one slope, but you can use a button in the elevation editor to do that.

OR

2. Delete the feature lines.  Rebuild the surface. Run the OOPS command to bring the feature lines back.  Then add them to the surface with the right settings.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report