Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breakline Issue

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Rainman1
2187 Views, 17 Replies

Breakline Issue

Please see attachment. I have highlighted my TIN and for some reason when C3D triangulates my surface it is not incuding the complete polyline. You can see some magenta, blue and yellow lines that are not part of the surface. Portions of the polyline are not included in the TIN but some portions are. The lines are 2d and 3d polylines.  I have tried adding vertices to the lines, created feature lines with them, converted the 2D polylines to 3D polylines, create points along the polyline.....tried adding them as breaklines, lines, points, etc. but none of these procedures will add the linework to my surface??? When it does this it leaves our model incomplete.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
troma
in reply to: Rainman1

Do you have a default weeding set for when you're adding breaklines to the surface?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 18
Rainman1
in reply to: troma

I have never touched the "Weeding factors" setting. Just played around with it a bit, changed the setting (default 15)....tried "0", 2, 15. It will add a small portion of the line but still not including the complete line?????

Message 4 of 18
troma

I would've thought zero would work.
What happens if you turn it off altogether?

Mark Green

Message 5 of 18
Rainman1

I didn't use it at all in my initial build of the surface and you see what the results are in the attachment.

Message 6 of 18
troma

You're sure it was switched off? Or could it have been on & you didn't notice it?

Mark Green

Message 7 of 18
Rainman1

When you go to add your breaklines the dialogue box pops up and you have to put a check mark in "Weeding factors" to enable and use it.

Message 8 of 18
troma

I believe that depends on how your command default settings have been set up. But if that's how it is for you it indicates that this probably isn't the problem. Time to look elsewhere...I can't think where though.

Mark Green

Message 9 of 18
Rainman1

Thanks for your input. I have put in a service ticket with our Autodesk Support, hopefully they can find a solution!

Message 10 of 18
david.zavislan

When adding breakline data to the surface, reduce the value of the curve supplementing factor to add more data along the arc segments.  I use 0.05-0.1.

You may also have crossing breaklines that are being ignored.  In the surface properties command, on the Definition tab, change the Allow crossing breaklines property to Yes.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 11 of 18
Rainman1
in reply to: david.zavislan

When adding breakline data there is a "Supplementing factors" area in the dialogue box.......I don't see anything for "Curve supplementing factor"???

Message 12 of 18
troma

Do you have actual curves in breakline data?

The value is referred to as the mid-ordinate distance.

Mark Green

Message 13 of 18
jmayo-EE

You should also note that the surface's order of operations can also cause unexpected results particularly if you have borders in the surface definition. If you have borders they should be at the bottom of the Operation List in the surface's props dialog, defintiions tab. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 18
Joe-Bouza

suppliment.PNG

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 15 of 18
_Hathaway

It looks to me like there might not any breaklines defined and the surface is just TINing without any control. This has happened to me on occasion. Simply make sure your breaklines are added to the surface definition.
Message 16 of 18
Rainman1
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

The lines can also be converted to Feature Lines and then you right click on the Feature Line "Add to Surface as Breakline". If needed you can insert PI's along the Feature Line (works well on curb returns) at specific intervals to tighten up the TIN.

Message 17 of 18
troma

Mid-ordinate is better than added elevation points, because if you edit an elevation you don't have to worry about updating all the intermediate elevation points.

Mark Green

Message 18 of 18
troma

I don't think the mid-ordinate setting is your only problem though.  The breaklines are also being ignored in straight sections.  See the parts I've circled in red.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report