Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boundary Intersects itself

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ned100
371 Views, 2 Replies

Boundary Intersects itself

When trying to create a new surface using Terrain model Explorer I need to create the topo boundary definition. There are no other surfaces existing in the drawing. This is the first. I get the following error message, "Boundary intersects itself. Surface boundary could not be applied." I am thinking, of course it does, it's a closed polyline! Why the error?

Civil Series 2004
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: ned100

It means that the closed polyline has some loops where it crosses over itself. The usual fix-up is to "clean up" the polyline using Map Utilities. You can also do it using PEDIT or breaking and re-joining the polyline to suit. Presumably the cross-over loops cause some conflict with the DTM algorithms. I don't know why the software developers have not included an automatic "clean up" procedure in the DTM routines. Doug Boys
Message 3 of 3
ned100
in reply to: ned100

Thanks. I used drawing cleanup and it fixed it. How this worked i do not understand. When I created the polyline I simply carefully picked each vertice as always. I did not put any loops in it. When I used drawing cleanup it stated "0 objects modified". Still, the error went away.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report