Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blank layers created

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ned100
297 Views, 7 Replies

blank layers created

I have been having this problem since using it. I have had to re-install twice on Windows 2000 and Windows XP Pro and the problem still pops up as follows:
Blank layers (with blank layer names) are mysteriously created. They appear above layer 0 in the layer browser. Sometimes 10 to 20 of them may appear.
This behavior appears to occur when using the "freeze" express tool to freeze a layer containing civil point objects. It also seems to transfer the point objects to one of the newly created layers. I would sure like it to stop.
I did do a search on this problem and could find no other posts on it, though I find it hard to believe that nobody else has this problem.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ned100

I just tried to reproduce what you have described and am unable to do so. Here's what I did, New drawing create an alignment object on a predefined layer called "proposed alignment" Set current layer "Layer1" Select "freeze objects layer" from the express tools layer toolbar. Results: The alignment layer is frozen. No blank layers are created. Can you post the drawing you are having the issue with? -- Karen Dowling Autodesk ISD QA Analyst
Message 3 of 8
ned100

Thank you. Next time i have the problem I will do so. I am in the habit of erasing the layers, removing and reinserting the points when this occurs. This does not always occur. Just sometimes. I have yet to figure out the trigger. I am a land surveyor. It may have something to do with points that have been created using civil survey and raw data.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Please do forward me the drawing next time you experience it. I was able to find some information which pertained to Xrefs and layer names which contained the # character. Do either of those apply to your situation? -- Karen Dowling Autodesk ISD QA Analyst
Message 5 of 8
ned100

All righty then. That didn't take long. Here is a drawing file with the exhibited behavior. I did not use the freeze tool at all, so apparently that can be ruled out. I think that is definitely has something to do with the point entities being created by Civil Survey from raw data.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Way to go Ned, this is good one! Can you tell me where the points came from? What program did you process the raw file in? When I open the drawing I am getting a proxy_graphics dialog referencing the points in the drawing. If you notice, the points in the drawing are not displaying as point objects when opened in Civil 3D. I'm not quite sure what's up buts suspect the layer issue is connected with the proxy points issue. Do you have the raw point file? -- Karen Dowling Autodesk ISD QA Analyst
Message 7 of 8
ned100

The points were imported using the Survey module from an .FBK file. Data Collection/input -> Import Field Book. A Traverse loop was defined and the points were adjusted using the least squares method. After adjustment the points were moved and rotated as desired using standard autocad commands.

I reiterate that the program I am using is Autodesk Civil Series 2004. I was unsure of which forum to post in since there was no specific forum for that product.

Field book file is attached.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Ned, Thanks for getting me the field book file. Well, I'm still trying to figure out where the blank layers could be coming from. I took your .fbk file into Land Desktop 2004, then opened that drawing in Civil 3D - and am still not seeing blank layers. If you would could, send me your email address and we can work on this further. karen.dowling@autodesk.com -- Karen Dowling Autodesk ISD QA Analyst

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report