Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bizzare upgrade issue with regen, layout tabs C3D 13, 14 & PI&D?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
DRW_CAD
388 Views, 2 Replies

bizzare upgrade issue with regen, layout tabs C3D 13, 14 & PI&D?

I’ve been doing AutoCAD support for a while and this is one of the weirdest things I've seen. Thanks in advance to anyone who reads through it.

We've got drawings started in older versions of Civil 3D. Probably 2012 maybe 2010 but they’ve all been saved to 2013 and worked on in 2013 without issue.  They have data-refed surfaces and alignments, profiles, pipe networks & profile views are in the dwg. We no longer use Civil 3D for survey but this one was started when we did and has 6 COGO points in it. It has 7 layout tabs with 2 or more viewports in each, plan/profile.

They were working fine last week, I've been upgrading our company to 2014 and this one guy starts having these strange issues with this drawing. Initially, things like profile view grid wasn't showing up in a viewport. Regen. Things get real weird. contours from plan viewport start overlapping the profile view which now has a grid. Switching layout tabs, things look different every time, bits and pieces of pipe networks showing up, things in the wrong place. On one regen, a really large table of some sort appeared which looked as if it had been created in some weird UCS as it was skewed. Regen again and I haven’t seen it since.

Model space looks different than what you see in the viewports, turn all the layers off, nothing goes off. You can't select anything except with properties filters & even then it says it couldn't select 280 objects but they don't appear to be selected and yet if you hit delete, it says they were deleted, properties filters no longer finds them but you can still see them. 

So, I could go on but hopefully this establishes that the drawing is completely hosed.

The only thing that has changed on this computers since these drawings worked is 2014 Civil 3D was installed.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
DRW_CAD
in reply to: DRW_CAD

So, here is what I’ve done:

Tried it on my laptop in 2013 (I have 2014 loaded) and it doesn’t work.

Audit: finds 3 errors, fixes them. Audit again and there they are again. Found 6 locked COGO points, unlock & deleted. No errors found.

Initially I ran recover & it said the dwg could not be recovered and yet I can open it. I tried it now after deleting the cogo points & comes back clean but doesn’t work correctly.

Restored an older version prior to the 2014 upgrade & opened it in 2013, doesn’t work.

Did Recoverall. Doesn’t work.

Opened the file on a different computer with the 2014 upgrade and it worked.

Checked out a license on my laptop, copied the restored file to my HD & disconnected from the network. Did not work.

Opened it up on a system that has not gotten the 2014 upgrade… it works. The restored version and the one that had been saved in 2014 on another computer.

Message 3 of 3
DRW_CAD
in reply to: DRW_CAD

So, I’ve been doing all kinds of stuff to this file trying to get it to work. I won’t go into everything I’ve done but here is what I’ve reduced it to:

1.       The problem doesn’t occur on a computer that hasn’t gotten the 2014 Civil 3D upgrade.

2.       If I delete all the layout tabs, it works.

3.       It’s tied to regen and layout tabs. I can open the file saved in model space and everything looks fine. Start switching layout tabs and eventually, one looks whacky. From that point on, the more you regen the weirder it gets.

4. To my knowledge, the problem only exists on two computers, mine and this other guys. The only thing common to both of us that is not common to all the other computers is I loaded PI&D on his and mine. I’ve since uninstalled it on mine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report