Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to update old file to new?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
deltacoolguy
639 Views, 4 Replies

I've been given a new project that was last saved under v2012.  It also has profiles and other information from old standards from a different company.  My task is to update the drawing to v2013 and to convert the profiles and such to the new company's settings, etc.

If it were just updating to v2013 I'd simply "save as".  Will the desired new profile settings cause a problem?  I can think of two methods... 1) Insert the new company's template with the desired settings into the drawing, or 2) Insert the drawing file into the new template then "save as".  Or, either, or something else?

What would the best way to be to go about this?

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rl_jackson
in reply to: deltacoolguy

Doing an XML of the data would probably be your best course of action, although it will be difficult

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
deltacoolguy
in reply to: rl_jackson

Turns out that, since it was near the beginning of a project, it was easier to simply recreate what had been done. This ensured that everything would be current without any unwanted straggling information.
Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 4 of 5
AllenJessup

Seems you've solved this for that instance. I've always gone with 2, insert the old version into a new drawing created from the current template.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
owenmull

I know you've already solved this, but some thoughts anyway.

I can only really think of a few methods, one being what you did, recreating from scratch. Option 2 would be to export all data to XML and re-import to a drawing based upon your current template, and go from there.

Another option, albeit longer, would be to save the drawing as v2013, and then use the Manage-->Import Styles tool to import all necessery styles from your template, as well as the Design Center (command = dc) to import layers, linetypes, text styles, etc., and then just go change what you need to, and the Purge the old stuff out.

If it is a small file, doing what you did may be easier, but if it were me, I'd go with what was suggested earlier, and just export the intelligent data out and re-import to a clean drawing.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report