Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to send drawings to clients???

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
sonnyamorales
4012 Views, 10 Replies

Best way to send drawings to clients???

So I have just finished up a project and now need to send the files (all of them, surfaces, alignments, corridor, construction documents, etc) to the client.  What is the best way to do this?

I am confused because Civil3d uses Data references that are created based on a folder I specify which the client will not have access to and so on. 

I opened my alignment file and did a DXFOUT than went ahead and opened that dxf and saw that there was nothing there???

Could they recreate the stuff I have done using DWFs?? or should I Etransmit?? or what other options do I have?

Thanks, 

Sonny

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mathewkol
in reply to: sonnyamorales

Your only option is etransmit.  DXF will give them crud, or nothing in your case.  DWF or PDF will give them a pretty picture, but no usable data.  Etransmit and DREFs, there is a setting to save the files to a single folder, use that option and no paths will be saved.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 11

Please list the softwares owned by your customer, thx.

Message 4 of 11
Mark_Castle

For the data references you can promote the objects in the drawing you send to the client so they are no longer data referenced. Just be careful doing this with surfaces that are referenced as you could greatly increase the drawing size.

Mark Castle
Win 10 64-Bit, Thinkpad P50
16 GB RAM; Core i7-6820HQ; Quadro M1000M
Message 5 of 11

Thank you for the responses.  I went ahead and just etrasmitted the files, so we shall see how that works.  I am uncertain what version they are using and am uncertain if what i sent them will work 😞

will find out shortly.  thanks again 🙂

Message 6 of 11

Since all our drawings & data reference files within the same folder structure, we zip up the entire folder.  They can use the Reference Manager and Data Shortcuts Editor tools to modify paths to suit them.

Hopefully, you're talking about them using the same version as you, or later.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 7 of 11
neilyj666

If they are on Civil 3D (or even if not) XML will certainly deal with the alignments and surfaces

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 8 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: Mark_Castle

but remember not to save these versions.....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11

They are asking for dxf files, which I know will not work, but will send them anyways.  I also did an etransmit of all the files and clicked the box for "save all within this file" (or something like that) just in case.  That should work right?

Seems like Etransmit would be the way to go....

If you DXF an alignment file (per say) it actually doesnt show anything in the DXF when you try opeinng it up..right??  at least for me it doesnt

Message 10 of 11
sboon

You can produce dxf files, but it requires a couple of steps.  First export the drawing to ACad.  Open that file and do whatever cleanup is needed, exploding point blocks erasing extra stuff etc until you have a "clean" file.  Save that as a dxf and send to your client.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: sboon

A word of caution when using dxf files - be sure NOT to include GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION if prompted as this causes problems when trying to open dxf's

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report