Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices For LDD To C3D Conversion

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Oberer
109 Views, 5 Replies

Best Practices For LDD To C3D Conversion

Any chance we could get some of the slides from the webcasts incorporated here into a searchable location?

Would someone from Autodesk be willing to compose a "Best Practices" list for:
Installing C3d
Migrating LDD projects into c3d.

Perhaps this is included in the CD. There seem to be a number of posts regarding installation trouble and project migration issues...
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Oberer

That Sir is the Big question for which there seems to be no correct answer.
I have about 50 licenses of 3D and somewhere around 70 or 80 users, all with different levels of skill and different uses for the product, and d*mned if I can figure an easy path to putting this product out.
Adesk offers a quick start program, as I understand, in which for a small fee, do doubt 5 figures and up, a consultant can show up and help.
If you figure something out please let me know.

John Postlewait
IS Department
George Butler Associates, Inc.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

It's nice to know that not everyone is glossing this topic over. Seems some
here aren't giving much thought to larger companies and what kind of havoc
is likely to ensue.

wrote in message news:4834243@discussion.autodesk.com...
That Sir is the Big question for which there seems to be no correct answer.
I have about 50 licenses of 3D and somewhere around 70 or 80 users, all with
different levels of skill and different uses for the product, and d*mned if
I can figure an easy path to putting this product out.
Adesk offers a quick start program, as I understand, in which for a small
fee, do doubt 5 figures and up, a consultant can show up and help.
If you figure something out please let me know.

John Postlewait
IS Department
Message 4 of 6
Oberer

I should have also included something along the lines of "best uses" of each product. In another thread, a consultant suggests his approach to making the most of each package:

"Actually, I've been on the road a lot lately doing training for LDT - not Civil 3D. I still do almost all of my work in LDT since most of my projects are in the final stages and the majority of this work is editing annotation and making minor revisions - not C3D's strong suit yet. However, most of my terrain modeling for corridors (dtm's for machine control) is done in C3D exclusively.

Don't read anything into my 'absence' other than the fact that I've been busier than a long tailed cat in a room full of rockers.... and getting my work done is a higher priority than responding to every post.

--
Karl Fuls PLS
Autocad AEC Training and Consulting
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator"
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=400924

I'm quite sure Autodesk didn't intend for anyone to have much difficulty with this transition. After seeing 2k5s "migration manager" they made it sound & feel like it was going to be easy.

PLEASE NOTE: This thread (hopefully like most here) is simply intended to provide accurate information regarding this transition. I'm hoping it doesn't turn into a bash adesk - we need their input if we're going to use the software...
Message 5 of 6
Oberer

This illustrates my "smoke and mirrors" comment. Having never seen or used the product,>I HAVE NO CLUE 🙂 (which, of course, is why I'm interested in your experience)

From a different thread:
(http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=400954)
James Wedding, P.E. asked:
"Anyone else notice a significant delay when switching between drawings in a single session?"

Jon Rizzo replied with:
Re: Long Delay in Switching DWGs?
Yes - very much. I believe it is prospector has to rip through the drawingto see what's in there.

Overall, the program seems to be very choppy when real data sets are loadedin. I have 1 GB of ram on my machine, but the hesitations seem to start before I exceed this amount (It usually hovers around 700-800 MB).

I have found that larger surfaces which used to be okay-to-slow in Land Desktop, are unusable in civil 3d. We have had to break our existing surfaces up into smaller pieces, which wouldn't be such a problem if shortcuts weren't so slow.

*sigh*

I used to team-teach a financial report writer. Having people in class was great. We knew the dataset, and it was small so everything worked well and fast. When thrown into a database with 100k+ records, it would take many minutes.

Further down in the same thread, folks are discussing hardware. I want to be VERY clear on what we'll really need to make this upgrade as smooth as possible...
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Hardware-wise this is my goal before 3D is deployed.
3.0 Hyperthread processor( 2.8 if I can't make it.
1G ram, and use of product for a while will tell if that is enough.
Dual Monitors.

I am hoping that is enough.

John Postlewait
IS Department

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report