Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best PC configuration

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
diegoal
3269 Views, 2 Replies

Best PC configuration

Hello to all,

I need to buy new PCs to work with C3D 2012 and we are considering these two options:

- Core i7 2600 3.4 GHz Turbomode 3.80 8MB, 16 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 570 1GB

- Xeon E31270 3.4 GHz 8MB, 8 GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro 2000 1GB

What should be the best choice?

The Xeon PC price is about 30% higher then the i7 PC and I found in this forum that there is no such big differences between Xeon and i7. Is this right?

Thanks a lot,

Diego

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diego Álvares
Civil Engineer @ Trento Engenharia Ltda.
www.trentoengenharia.com.br
Autocad Civil 3D 2010 to 2017 - Infrastructure Design Suite
Windows 7 64 i7 4770 @3.40GHz 8GB Ram GeForce GTX 760
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: diegoal

I would go with the i7 for two reasons... The clock speed is going to be higher in turbo mode than the Xeon. This mode is used when most of the load is on a single core (like when using Civil 3D). The other cores will have reduced power and speed boosting the speed of the core that needs it.

The second reason is that the i7 has 16 gigs of ram

I don't know enough about the graphics card to help you there, but I would look for one with DirectX 11.

So, you will have a faster machine for Civil 3D, with more ram and it will cost you less.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 3
rl_jackson
in reply to: diegoal

I would have to agree with Peter that the i7 2600 would be a better choice, in-fact i5-2500 will run it just fine.

I currently have a i7-930 which has a 2-1gb GTX 250 graphics card that is Direct X11 compatible, so I would assume the 570 would be as well. I dont do a whole lot of 3d stuff short of a surface model (mostly survey) so I have run into few if any issues with this fairly low grade uncertified card.

Also, with regards to Zeon and i7 not have much difference this is true with the i7-9xx series only. The newer i5 2500 even bets my i7-930, so I would expect the i7 to blow it away.

HTH

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report