Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Fit Alignment Problems C3D 2013

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jprezkuta
1542 Views, 11 Replies

Best Fit Alignment Problems C3D 2013

I am trying to create a best fit alignment from parallel linear sets of COGO points. When I run the command, about halfway through the data set the alignment suddenly curves out of away from the COGO points. I tried doing a best fit individually on each side, one side works fine, the other sets station zero about a quarter of the way into the points and runs it back toward the start, leaving out 3/4 of the points. Any ideas on what is happening here?

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
BrianHailey
in reply to: jprezkuta

Can you post the points?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 12
jprezkuta
in reply to: BrianHailey

Unfortunately, I am not able to post the points at this time. I converted the points from AECC to COGO, could this have something to do with it?

Message 4 of 12
jprezkuta

I figured it out. I exported the points into a csv format and sorted the file by northing and then by easting. That seemed to fix it, before the northings and eastings were all jumbled in no particular order.

Message 5 of 12
Razzmatazz

I'm also trying to create a best fit alignment from one set of COGO points for a road centreline. I've imported the points from a space delimited txt file and the points are neatly arranged the way the centreline should be but when i try to create the best fit alignment, it shoots away from the points and leaves most of them............how did u manage to create a best fit alignment which follows the single linear set of points all the way to the end?    Your assiatance will be highly appreciated..................I have attached the file, which is in PNE format, space delimited.

Thanks in advance

Message 6 of 12

I can get a nice best fit if I don't use the last 4 points. I don't know why, but that's what I'm finding. It looks like those last 4 points are in a line...

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 12

All i'm getting is a straight line that's not following the points arrangent at all........when u say a nice best fit, do you mean that your alignment follows the points perfectly all the way apart from the last four points? Does it take the shape created by the arrangement of the points? because mine is just a straight line that only follows the first few points.........could there be something i'm missing..

Message 8 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: Razzmatazz

Odd, in C3D 2012 I get a nice best fit alignment. In C3D 2013 I get an alignment with the following properties:

1 Line Not Constrained (Fixed) Two points 12316.120' N2° 06' 11"E 0+00.00' 123+16.12' 
2 Curve Constrained on Both Sides (Free) Radius 2.114' 0.676' 123+16.12' 123+18.23' 179.2138 (d) 1.352' 
3 Line Not Constrained (Fixed) Two points 0.001' S2° 53' 22"W 123+18.23' 123+18.24' 

I did have to remove 3 of the last 4 points.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 9 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jeff_M

I get the same, incorrect, results in C3D 2014 SP1. I tried with & without the spiral option.

10-11-2013 6-36-58 AM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 10 of 12
peterfunkautodesk

I'm getting the same results in 2014 unless I drop the last 3 or 4 points and then I get the better results

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 12
Razzmatazz

I'm using C3D 2013 and it also creates a wrong best fit alignment just like jeff's C3D 2014 ..............any solution so far on what could be the problem?

Thanks,

James

Message 12 of 12
DenverDavid

Looks like you may have the "maximum radius for curve detection" set to 0.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report