Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bearing and Distance Label

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
JOVO85
49522 Views, 21 Replies

Bearing and Distance Label

First let me say I'm new here so take it easy on me, I am getting more familiar with C3D everyday but a lot of my reasoning is still referencing the Land Desktop section of my brain which has proven very ineffective.

I'm trying add a basic bearing and distance label to some line work in my drawing.

I have setup a label style per my companies CAD standards that is based off of the default Bearing and Distance style, however when I try to apply it to a line(polyline) nothing happens. Does the object I want to apply the label to need to be a "C3D entity" for lack of a better term. Because I am trying to label basic polylines and can not for the life of me get it to work. 

I have searched and read several threads concerning this, a couple that seemed to be the same situation, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any help you can give

Joseph-

Civil 3D 2012
Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
16GB RAM

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
corcad
in reply to: JOVO85

What type of label are you trying to use on these polylines? Line and Curve?

If so, make sure your polyline is not the old type of polyline. You can tell if it is an old type by looking at it's properties. They will be called "2D polyline" rather than "polyline". Use the CONVERT command to change them. 

Hope that helps,

Matthew Corbin

Message 3 of 22
JOVO85

Thanks for the response,

they seem to be normal polys, i ran convert to be sure and it said 0 2d objects converted.

I feel like I am missing a very basic step here

Joseph-

Civil 3D 2012
Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
16GB RAM

Message 4 of 22
Jeff_M

How are you 'trying to apply it to a line' ?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 22
TerryDotson

I'm trying add a basic bearing and distance label to some line work in my drawing

If you don't find a simple solution in Civil3D (that's possible), grab the BRGDIST.DWG from the Free Stuff section of the site below.  It's a dynamic block that lets you label the bearing and distance of any two points.

Message 6 of 22
rl_jackson

Try this

Untitled.png

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 22
sjg
Advisor

Since civil labels are based off of the annotative scale, if it is set to 1:1, it might be there but not big enough to see.. Try setting to something like 1"=50' to see if your labels appear.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 8 of 22
tcorey

We need a little more detail to get to the root of your problem, but here are some possible issues:

You can create bearing and distance label styles for Lines, Parcels or Alignments. Be sure you are creating the style in the correct collection.

Like a previous poster mentioned, check your Annotative Scale. Labels might be there, but look like they aren't showing up because they are too small.

Here's is a short video that shows how to create the label style and apply to a Line or Polyline:

http://screencast.com/t/xc98Qw0pkI5G

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Civil 3D!

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 9 of 22
JOVO85
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks everyone, 

First I checked the annotation scale and it has been set up correct at 1"=20' and all my other labels are fine

Tim, I went through the procedure you provided in the screencast and still nothing. My label style was created under Settings>General>Label Styles>Line>Bearing and Distance. And when I try to apply label it is through Annotate>Add Labels>Line & Curve where a dialouge box pops up and I find the style I just created. However when I select a line nothing happens.

I'm beginning to think that there is something wrong in the setup of my drawing because I have tried this method in a new drawing using Tim's method and it worked just fine giving me a nice pretty bearing and distance label. Also, when I try to edit the label in the label composer I can't even see any text in the preview window(attached screenshot).

You will also see in the screenshot where I was able to work around the problem by creating an easment and labeling the lines though the easement label settings. I would still like the basic line labels to work, mostly because I know they're supposed to work and it drives me nuts to when I have to say "well we have this nice tool and this is how it's supposed to work..." 

Thanks again for all your help and sorry if I am just making this more confusing

Joseph-

Civil 3D 2012
Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
16GB RAM

Message 10 of 22
sjg
Advisor

Under the general tab of the label composer what layer do you have it set to. Is it turned off? Under the drawings settings, object layers which layer do you have general segments set to.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 11 of 22
JOVO85
in reply to: sjg

They are all set to "Layer 0" and turned on

Joseph-

Civil 3D 2012
Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
16GB RAM

Message 12 of 22
tcorey

Call me at 530.221.2994 and I will help you through this. I have remote support capability so we can connect and look at it together. Should take us five minutes.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 13 of 22
JOVO85

Thanks so much Tim, and thanks to everyone else who posted.

The problem was definitely some form of drawing coruption. After an audit and recovery, then wblocking and inserting into a working drawing I can report that order has been restored to the universe. I just learned from a colleague that a portion of the survey was done in land desktop so I'm going to blame it on that.

Thanks again, you'll be seeing more of meSmiley Happy

Joseph-

Civil 3D 2012
Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
16GB RAM

Message 14 of 22
rasterized

I can not add 'Single Segment' labels to 'Line and Curve's in my drawings either, requiring me to reference them into new ones as a work around.  Fix?

Message 15 of 22
troma
in reply to: rasterized

Have you tried:
Close the drawing and reopen?
Recover the drawing?
Audit the drawing?
Close the program and start it again?
Shut down the machine and reboot?

You're generally better off starting a new thread rather than posting to an old one that has been solved, and is probably not you're issue (or yours would be solved too, right?).

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 16 of 22
csully58

Thank you, your video was very helpful. I am very new to Civil 3D and the biggest hurdle I have found so far is annotation. Another hurdle I am looking at is disassociating a label from line. Not sure if you have any help on this.

Thanks

Charles Sullivan

charles@asam1.com

Message 17 of 22
wfberry
in reply to: csully58

You can explode the label.  I do not recommend this.

Bill

Message 18 of 22
ccoleman
in reply to: rl_jackson

Good job! straight and to the point.
Message 19 of 22
jacob.sharp
in reply to: sjg

Hello All:

I am looking for a style (if possible) or .lsp that allows me to simply label the bearing & distance of a line, as simple DTEXT.  This seems to be a real workaround process for Civil 3D (2014 in my case).

I want to label the line on the current layer (bylayer all), size and text style as the current layer/text style.  Seems simple enough, but I'm a real beginer on ACAD customization. 

Can you help?  Thanks for your time.

Jake

Message 20 of 22
rl_jackson
in reply to: jacob.sharp

Jake,

First of all welcome to the forums

C3D will already label a bearing and distance on a line either by its' true length or by two points selected on the line. It does not do this with dtext and if your labeling the true line it is dynamic to the line.

Now when you say C3D is a real workaround process what is your basis on that. Are you referencing the difference between C3D and some other software like LDD. If so, then yes things are different. C3D is template driven, you create your label styles either by going to the Toolspace - settings tab, and expand the general settings - label styles and you should see line and curve or you can  go to the annotate tab in the ribbon, select add labels and from the corresponding dialogue select the feature (line and curve) to create them from there.

If you're looking for some examples, I would first recommend that you start a new drawing with the NCS-Imperial template that is provided with C3D which already has label and point styles and may other things created, while these may not function or look like you want them too, they will give you a idea of what's going on. C3D is in no way ACAD, its just built on top of it.

HTH

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report