Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

batch convert to dgn?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
JamesMaeding
546 Views, 6 Replies

batch convert to dgn?

I thought I had heard of something to do this, it would be new to 2015, I forget what it might be called.

Anyone know?

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

On the ribbon it's on the Output Tab, Export Civil 3D Drawing. In the command you can convert to dwg or dgn, the current drawing or lots of them. 

Message 3 of 7
JoelW7
in reply to: JamesMaeding

This feature has been in the program since at least the 2010 version.  Previous to the 2015 version where a button has been placed under the output tab this has always been under the application menu under the export option and the batch convert option.  Although the batch convert for multiple dgns might be new.  We never converted to dgns until recently and we use microstation to do so (it is very convenient in microstation).  It is good to see Autodesk start to recognize some of their users do work in both formats.

Message 4 of 7
lim.wendy
in reply to: JamesMaeding

I've included the screenshots below for ease of reference.

ExportC3DDWGDGN.PNG

ExportACADDWGDGN.PNG

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 5 of 7
JamesMaeding
in reply to: lim.wendy

thanks, on the ribbon....I close it so did not notice.

I'm really curious if I'm the only one that does not like "-Model" being put on all files created.

The files have both MS and PS, so why -Model?

You have to be careful with this converter, compared to the civil batch converter. It allows creating conversions in same folder as originals.

If you convert a bunch with subfolders, you get a tone of files with -model on them that must be hand separated and dealt with.

If you are sending files out, part of that process is likely renaming them to remove -model.

I don't see why there are two tools, the civil batch converter and this one. If UI changes were needed, why not take the good of both, and make one?

We use the civil batch converter (CBC) on all incoming files, and its fast, so this is not trivial to our company.

We waited a long time for the tool in 2015, and the UI design is dumbed down compared to CBC.

Given that I guess the target audience is DOT workers, that is not very flattering to those customers.

Message 6 of 7

I think it is more the DOT environment then the workers, a DOT typically wants everything done one way. The easiest way to do that is to limit the number of available options they can choose. I'm more surprised Civil 3D isn't' able to take a snapshot of the drawing and then build the DGN from the snapshot. It appears to explode civil 3d objects and then use the exploded objects to create the DGN. This creates issues if Civil 3D doesn't explode the objects in the correct order. I think the major objects are taken care of properly, but the more obscure such as quantity tables aren't handled properly.
Message 7 of 7

I guess I would not care about the civil batch converter or this new converter if we had some kind of access to the explode and wblock mechanism they use, dbx doc style.

Autodesk did this kind of thing for me when dealing with excess app id's a long time ago.

Let me do the interface and then I only complain to myself.

Maybe I should request that via sub.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report