Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Lane Sub-Assembly and Targets........

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
taneum
1856 Views, 15 Replies

Basic Lane Sub-Assembly and Targets........

So I have a 2' wide sidewalk behind my curb and gutter sub-assembly.  I used the "basiclane" sub-assembly for this sidewalk.  Behind the sidewalk I used a "linkslopetoelevation" sub-assembly for a retaining wall we are putting in.  We need to transition that "linkslopetoelevation" sub-assembly so it comes up and attaches to the back of curb for about 15'.  Thus, the 2' wide sidewalk will go away in that area.  Why doesn't the "linlsopetoelevation" sub-assembly show up in the "Width or Offset Targets" for targetling lines but it does show up in the "Slope or Elevation Targets".  I have target lines that I want the wall to follow but I can only target the vertical, not the horizontal?  Why?

The attached .pdf show the sub-assembly showing up in the elevation targeting but not the offset targeting.  If indeed this will not work, how do I transition this.  There is a concrete pad on a hill that we need to keep in place so we are just going to build the wall around it but the sub-assemblies need to do this.  At first I thought I could transition my sidewalk and the wall woule follow but like I said, the "basiclane" sub-assembly doesn' who up for horizontal targeting either.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Jeff_M
in reply to: taneum

Instead of a Basic Lane, use a UrbanSidewalk with a 0' inside width, 2' walk, 0' outside width. Attach the ret.wall to this, the sidewalk width can be set to a target.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 16
taneum

So basically the wall at the back of the sidewalk needs to slide in so it's up agains the back of curb and then slide back out so the sidewalk shows up again.  You can see what I am talking about in the attached .pdf.  This is a picture of my sub-assembly.

Message 4 of 16
taneum
in reply to: Jeff_M

I'll try the urban sidewalk sub-assembly.  I think I tried using that before but I do not remember.  I worked on this 2 months ago and then it sat until now, go figure.  I'll let you know what I come up with.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 16
tcorey

@taneum wrote:

.  Why doesn't the "linlsopetoelevation" sub-assembly show up in the "Width or Offset Targets" for targetling lines but it does show up in the "Slope or Elevation Targets". 

That subassembly does not provide offset targeting, only elevation. You could use Linkoffsetandslope, which provides both offset and elevation targeting.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 16
Joe-Bouza

I refrain from using any subassembly with the word "Basic" in it. Look at the help file they tell you it is not intended for production, in not so many words

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 16
BrianHailey
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

I refrain from using any subassembly with the word "Basic" in it. Look at the help file they tell you it is not intended for production, in not so many words

You wouldn't be talking about this would ya?

"This subassembly is one of a group of Getting Started subassemblies used for simple roadway modeling, and for tutorial and training purposes."

I'm glad you mentioned that as I had never read the wording on them before.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 8 of 16
fcernst

What...? Like your 401k will take a hit if you use these? 

The UrbanSidewalk is overcomplicated and underpowered for his application. It gives him no elevation control for what he is doing if he needs possibly a little vertical adjustment to fit the wall in. 

He just missed it by one.. use the BasicLaneTransition. Then he won't have any extra parameters to set to zero, and then if needed, he could use a feature line for horizontal and vertical control (or not).. 

It's a perfectly straightforward SA to use for his sidewalk transitioning application.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 16
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: fcernst

Its only my opinion Fred.

No. Take the the basic curb for example: it has not adjustment to offset the top face of curb from the the bottom face of curb. This creates a vertical face in the TIN that, from my understanding of the Tin algorithm is a no no

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 10 of 16
fcernst

Think about it... They wouldn't put something in that's going to fail the TIN alogrithm like that...

All of the "vertical" links in the OOTB SA's have a little offset built in.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 11 of 16
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: BrianHailey

Dats da one. Smiley Wink

Maybe I'm reading too much between the lines but I steer clear.

In my earlier experience I used a BasiCurb and because it has no offset on the face I believe it caused corruption in my TIN, at the time.

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 12 of 16
BrianHailey

I too stear clear of the basic subassemblies. Why? Well, I remember them causing issues several releases ago. What where those issues? I honestly don't remember.

If the only reason you are doing something is because that's the way you've always done it, you're doing it wrong.

Perhaps I should go revisit the basic subs and see if they still cause issues or not.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 13 of 16
taneum
in reply to: Jeff_M

@Jeff_M wrote:

Instead of a Basic Lane, use a UrbanSidewalk with a 0' inside width, 2' walk, 0' outside width. Attach the ret.wall to this, the sidewalk width can be set to a target.

Yep that worked Jeff.  The only thing I ran into was, I put the "shape trapezoidal" sub-assembly under the sidewalk and in my section where the urban sidewalk was gone because the wall took its place, the shape trapezoidal sub-assembly moved up in the place of the sidewalk.  I didn't get this at first but when I targeted that sub-assembly to the same target lines as my sidewalk was targeted to, the shape trapeaoidal sub-assmbly went away also.  Make sense?  Kinda wordy but I think it doing what I need it to.

Message 14 of 16
Jeff_M

Yes, that makes sense. Glad it worked for you!

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 15 of 16
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: fcernst

Your absolutley right Fred; they would never put anything in the program that would screw things up Smiley Wink

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 16 of 16
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: BrianHailey

good point

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report