Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Base will not xfer in drawings

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
rpeery2
344 Views, 8 Replies

Base will not xfer in drawings

Trying to xfer this file into another dwg and it locks up everytime.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rkmcswain
in reply to: rpeery2

Same results here using 2015.

I opened the DWG, ran WBLOCK, selected all entities (I thawed and turned on all layers first), and the resulting DWG was about 1/6 the size of this one.

It was able to be xrefed in just fine.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 9
rpeery2
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thats a great solution if you are only working a basic cad file (line, curves, text...) This file has pipe networks, alignments, surface, and survey points. When I use wblock I loss alot to this information.  

Message 4 of 9
Jeff_M

If you make sure that all of the C3D objects are visible (the surface is not, change the style to display the border), wblock takes most of them along for the ride. You won't get all of PointGroups, Styles, etc. and the Survey Figures do not copy correctly. Providing you have the Survey Database you could just reimport those to the new drawing.

Your drawing does exhibit an issue I've never seen before, and a search comes up empty. I see this on the command line after most commands complete: The input global context has been declared. This gets carried over into the Wblock dwg.

Also, using some lisp, I found that the original file has almost 30000 Sites. Most of these have a name using a random GUID. These phantom sites, as they've come to be known as, usually come from importing Survey Figures and cannot be easily removed. It is normally a good idea to abandon these drawings, as they seem to be prone to crashing, unable to xref (as you found), and are much larger in size than they need be. I am currently running a lisp (found in the c3d customization forum, I believe) to try to remove these phantom parcels...it's been running for ~15 minutes now.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jeff_M

The lisp finally finished after ~45 minutes. Did not remove any of those sites and left C3D2015 unresponsive.
EESignature
Message 6 of 9
rpeery2

Interesting.  Where exactly can I see all this sites in the toolspace?

Message 7 of 9
rkmcswain

Jeff_M wrote:

Also, using some lisp, I found that the original file has almost 30000 Sites. Most of these have a name using a random GUID. These phantom sites, as they've come to be known as, usually come from importing Survey Figures and cannot be easily removed.

Okay, I realize that AUDIT is an AutoCAD command, but I know it will find and fix certain C3D issues too.

I don't understand why known issues such as this can't be detected and fixed by AUDIT in the same way.

At the very minimum, it could at least tell the user what the problem is (just like you did) and suggest migrating the data to a new drawing.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 8 of 9
Jeff_M

You can't see them anywhere in Prospector, only through some programming can you 'find' them. Actually, in drawings that don't have quite so many of the phantom parcels, a CTRL-A to select everything in modelspace allows you to see them as Parcels in the Properties Palette. But they are not editable, nor can the be deleted.

@rkmcswain - I fully agree that a modified Audit, or a new C3DAudit command, should be provided to fix these issues. I also think that they really need to find out WHY these parcels/sites get created in the first place and then not get removed when no longer needed.

EESignature
Message 9 of 9
rpeery2

Thanks guys!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report