AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Don Reichle
Message 31 of 32 (44 Views)

Re: Ballpark Style Setup times

02-25-2004 05:24 PM in reply to: *Don Reichle
Thanks to all contributors for your thoughts, and to some for your musings and ramblings (you know who you are). I must say that I never dreamed where a question or two could take us. As I review the responses, it seems only Doctor Wedding (you never should let on when a burr gets under your saddle to some of us) is willing to put an estimate to our friendly, neighborhood Styles. Does the Silent Majority concur, or are they just busily engaged in creating said Styles and don't have the time to contribute their experiences? -- Don Reichle "King of Work-Arounds" Ifland Engineers, Inc. "Strahimir Antoljak" wrote in message news:403d2396_3@newsprd01... > > > Technologically advanced does not necessarily mean real world > > productive, which is the glint of what I've been reading here. > > interesting thought... > > who needs, or better yet who would work on technologically > advanced thing that will not (or at least - is intended to) be > real world productive. That sounds more like Baudelaire's > "Part pour Part" - Art Just For The Sake Of It - but that > was just art, not engineering... do not recall anyone applying > that in engineering :smileyhappy: > > -- > Strah @ Langan > > > "Karl Fuls" wrote in message > news:403d184d_2@newsprd01... > > We 'may' agree to agree > > > > With the gaps in what's available right now, I don't see anyone > > abandoning LDT for C3D today - only the future release of the full > > product will give everyone the information they need to make that > decision. > > > > The fit of any software solution into your existing organizational > > structure is an important concern but firms may have to be flexible > > enough to possibly meet the software halfway to exploit it's capabilities. > > > > I think it's premature to make any type of suitability decision with > > what we know right now. What we have to do is express our concerns here > > so the people working on this product can address those concerns. After > > all, Autodesk wants to sell this so it is in their best interest to > > offer something that people will accept (read 'buy') and can use to make > > $$. Technologically advanced does not necessarily mean real world > > productive, which is the glint of what I've been reading here. > > > > On the other hand, simply because a new software package is nothing like > > what we're used to using isn't a reason to avoid it. It may, or may not, > > work out in the long run for a specific firm, but we're too early in the > > process to tell. > > > > Let's keep those cards and letters coming in...... > > > > Karl > > > > Steve Cannon wrote: > > > Karl, > > > > > > > > >>It isn't a matter of "Can I afford this new technology" > > >>but rather "Can I afford not to use it?". > > > > > > > > > > > > I 'may' agree with you as it pertains to an evolved product. However, at > > > this point in time, there are other, more immediate questions the boss > needs > > > to ask: > > > > > > Is my staff flexible enough and talented enough to handle the change in > > > production processes? Does the internal office management setup > correlate > > > to the way C3D needs to work ? Do I even understand what the new > processes > > > will be so I can staff the firm adequately? > > > > > > Who's desk do I put this on? > > > > > > At what point in time does C3D become affordable? (When is there going > to be > > > enough functionality in the tool to return invested value ?) > > > > > > Is it a mistake to jump on the bandwagon too early? > > > > > > sc > > > > > > > > > >
*James Wedding
Message 32 of 32 (44 Views)

Re: Ballpark Style Setup times

02-26-2004 06:24 AM in reply to: *Don Reichle
The title is more embarassing than annoying. But hey, I'll live with it. Maybe someday I'll get back to school. Anywho, we're talking this week about out C3D test case, and how we're going to approach it. I'm working with Dave and Dan to prepare a Friday presentation someday in the future (assuming the whole thing doesn't blow up in my face and I have to move to Bismark,) so wish me well. -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.