Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad file in Civil 3D tutorial

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
tomarneson
365 Views, 3 Replies

Bad file in Civil 3D tutorial

File C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011\Help\Civil Tutorials\Drawings\Surface-1A.dwg is supposed to contain contours. It seems to contain nothing and it's size  is only 702kb.

I intended to use the tutorial in my CAD classes. Can Autodesk provide the proper file?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SethHall
in reply to: tomarneson

Hi tomarneson-

The Surface-1A.dwg is not intended to contain contours, and I verified on my machine that this file is 702 KB in size. If you read the tutorial steps for the use of this drawing it states that "This drawing contains an empty surface definition, which is name EG." The intention of this tutorial drawing is how to add point data to a surface. We would suggest having a look at the other tutorial drawings if you would like a drawing that already contains a surface.

Hope this helps!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 4
tomarneson

Seth,

Thanks for the reply. However, I have to disagree on your reading of the turtorial. On Page 52, it says to insert that particular drawing and then on Page 53, it says to zoom to the extent of the inserted poylines and shows a graphic of the polylines. It goes on to instruct adding the contours to the surface definition.

Tom

Message 4 of 4
bruce.jordan

tomarneson -

You've got me wondering now.

What tutorial are you looking at?

When I open the tutorial for c3d 2011 and go to page 52/53 - I see point cloud tutorial information.

I see Surface-1a is "empty" as noted in the tutorial as Seth points out and you add point data to the surface definition. 

972i07C8C70E63DF225E

Now there are some frozen layers in dwg "surface-1a" that include the boundary and plines that will be used for breaklines, but I don't see anything about "inserting", importing but not inserting.

-Bruce

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report