AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Contributor
tomarneson
Message 1 of 4 (290 Views)

Bad file in Civil 3D tutorial

290 Views, 3 Replies
10-05-2010 03:39 AM

File C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011\Help\Civil Tutorials\Drawings\Surface-1A.dwg is supposed to contain contours. It seems to contain nothing and it's size  is only 702kb.

I intended to use the tutorial in my CAD classes. Can Autodesk provide the proper file?

Product Support
SethHall
Message 2 of 4 (284 Views)

Re: Bad file in Civil 3D tutorial

10-05-2010 05:37 AM in reply to: tomarneson

Hi tomarneson-

The Surface-1A.dwg is not intended to contain contours, and I verified on my machine that this file is 702 KB in size. If you read the tutorial steps for the use of this drawing it states that "This drawing contains an empty surface definition, which is name EG." The intention of this tutorial drawing is how to add point data to a surface. We would suggest having a look at the other tutorial drawings if you would like a drawing that already contains a surface.

Hope this helps!

Seth Hall
Product Support
GCSO - CSS - FTS
Autodesk, Inc.

Being Civil
Being Civil Twitter
Being Civil Facebook

Contributor
tomarneson
Message 3 of 4 (259 Views)

10-05-2010 12:15 PM in reply to: tomarneson

Seth,

Thanks for the reply. However, I have to disagree on your reading of the turtorial. On Page 52, it says to insert that particular drawing and then on Page 53, it says to zoom to the extent of the inserted poylines and shows a graphic of the polylines. It goes on to instruct adding the contours to the surface definition.

Tom

Distinguished Contributor
bruce.jordan
Message 4 of 4 (253 Views)

10-05-2010 01:00 PM in reply to: tomarneson

tomarneson -

You've got me wondering now.

What tutorial are you looking at?

When I open the tutorial for c3d 2011 and go to page 52/53 - I see point cloud tutorial information.

I see Surface-1a is "empty" as noted in the tutorial as Seth points out and you add point data to the surface definition. 

972i07C8C70E63DF225E

Now there are some frozen layers in dwg "surface-1a" that include the boundary and plines that will be used for breaklines, but I don't see anything about "inserting", importing but not inserting.

-Bruce

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.