Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVT set up parking standards

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Joe-Bouza
1283 Views, 22 Replies

AVT set up parking standards

the ITE standards are good for us but I'd like to tweak display attributes some.

1. Can the end islands be shown as curbed?

2. Why is the layer drop dow greyed out for "attributes" can we not set our layers to be used?

3. How do you set the parking number to display? I tried several combinations of check boxes and get nothing?

4. more to follow....

P.s. the T can be turned off in the bay style tab

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
wfberry
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe:

Do I need to shift over to the Twi-Light zone to understand what you are talking about?

Smiley Happy

Bill

Message 3 of 23
Pointdump
in reply to: wfberry

Bill,

I just figured that Joe was doing some Next-Level Stuff that I couldn't understand.  SmileyWink.gif

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 23
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: wfberry

So sorry Bill & Dave
That is (A)utodesk(V)ehicle(T)racking. Cant find a forum or blog related to it so I figured I would ask where I was sold on it.

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 23
Jeff_M

Joe, I got that much, but what is "the ITE standards are good " referring to?
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 23
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Jeff_M

Hi Jeff

Sure I see. In the standards files there are many international and USA standards and the standards that conform the the ITE, the "Institute of Transportation Engineers", includes the basic geometric requirements we would use. However, some of the default offset setting are unacceptable for our drafting standards. I found some of the offset settings and I am partially where I want to be with the display. Layer control would be nice.

When I make a copy to edit the display attributes (can only seem to edit a copy) I'd like to cahnge a few attributes. Interestingly; the layer attritube is unavailable, It would be good the make an end cap look curbed instead of painted and I cant seem to get the number of stalls to display, for starters. Maybe I'm approaching it all wrong.

The next thing that is bugging me about it and will inevitably be an end-of-operation for ATV in our office: I cannot seen to dimension the geometry of the islands, and the settings are not giving the desired results. Example if I set the minumum end island width to 6' they are drawn 6.33'? In general, I'd like to understand the settings for the end islands you get from ATV. the results drawn may not work for our office and may end up being a guide to manully draw curbed Islands. Which would be a drag IMHO.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 7 of 23
Cadguru42

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

Hi Jeff

Sure I see. In the standards files there are many international and USA standards and the standards that conform the the ITE, the "Institute of Transportation Engineers", includes the basic geometric requirements we would use. However, some of the default offset setting are unacceptable for our drafting standards. I found some of the offset settings and I am partially where I want to be with the display. Layer control would be nice.

When I make a copy to edit the display attributes (can only seem to edit a copy) I'd like to cahnge a few attributes. Interestingly; the layer attritube is unavailable, It would be good the make an end cap look curbed instead of painted and I cant seem to get the number of stalls to display, for starters. Maybe I'm approaching it all wrong.

The next thing that is bugging me about it and will inevitably be an end-of-operation for ATV in our office: I cannot seen to dimension the geometry of the islands, and the settings are not giving the desired results. Example if I set the minumum end island width to 6' they are drawn 6.33'? In general, I'd like to understand the settings for the end islands you get from ATV. the results drawn may not work for our office and may end up being a guide to manully draw curbed Islands. Which would be a drag IMHO.

We purchased a license of AVT last month and I just started trying a project last week myself using AVT for the first time and also ran into the same issues you've run into. The help is horrible, which is typical of Autodesk, and doesn't explain the steps to get a working standard up and running. I didn't use it on a parking lot I'm design right now because I ran into the issue of the islands not being able to be dimensioned and when I want to make an island 8.5', it was drawn at 8.534'. Also, the radii on the islands are being drawn as chorded lines, so it's not an AutoCAD arc that can be dimensioned and I ran into the same problem where you can't make the curbs of the islands show up. The layer issue is one of the first things I tried fixing, but couldn't find anything about it in the help system. I also couldn't snap to the ends of the parking lot lines, which makes dimensioning impossible without drawing the layout myself. 

The vehicle tracking part seems to work OK for what I've seen so far, but the parking system is horrible and basically useless, which is a huge disappointment. I haven't tried the roundabout part, but I probably will within a year. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 8 of 23
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Cadguru42

Thats sad to hear. The layers I learned from support) are hard coded.

In principle the module is great, but unfortunately we (as in all of us) need to create constructable docs. As insignificant as parking stripes may be to an overall project. They present (in picture on plans) a huge part of the package, and we cant live with scraggly end islands. Its a pitty

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 9 of 23
viji.kumar

Autodesk Vehicle Tracking: Parking Standards

Thank you for your comments above esp. Joe. They are extremely helpful. I have summarised Joe's suggestions below. The AVT development team hope to respond with initial findings and possible solutions by the end of next week (w/e 19 Sept.)

1. Modification of Parking Islands e.g. modelling kerbs

2. Dimensioning of Parking Islands

3. Modification of Layering attributes

4. To qoute Joe, "I think a diagram added to the parking standards help would go a long way. The nomenclature used by the parking module is a little different than what I see in the US. For example: it seems help refers to the center line of the parking bays as “baseline” and sometimes “kerb” we call it the “interlock” not that I suggest that be changed, but a diagram would make it clear."

Thanks again for your cooperation.

Viji.Kumar
Message 10 of 23
doni49

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
Thats sad to hear. The layers I learned from support) are hard coded.

In principle the module is great, but unfortunately we (as in all of us) need to create constructable docs. As insignificant as parking stripes may be to an overall project. They present (in picture on plans) a huge part of the package, and we cant live with scraggly end islands. Its a pitty

Sad indeed.  If the layers are hard coded, they shouldn't have put in a drop box for a layer -- that gives the impression that we should be able to change it somehow.  But beyond that, we SHOULD be able to change it.  This is another example of Autodesk jumping the gun and publishing a software title too soon.  It needed to go through (more?) beta testing first -- and I include all the issues Joe mentioned as part of this "example" not just the layer issue.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 11 of 23
fcernst
in reply to: viji.kumar

Viji,

On all commercial projects where there are parking lots, there is a required Sheet that goes in the Construction Plans called a Horizontal Control Plan that consists solely of horizontal dimensioning.

The parking lots especailly need to have the capability to be throughly dimensioned. The inablity to snap to entities and label Arcs that engtech mentions would have to be addressed foremost.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 12 of 23
viji.kumar
in reply to: fcernst

Thank you for your comments above. I have, with help from Joe, documented your feedback and the Vehicle Tracking development team have raised the following 3 items for the wishlist (there is a separate reference number provided for each request):

1. Setting the line styles for AVT parking island borders - reference number US23500

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/AVT-Line-Style-for-Parking-Island

2. Assigning layers for AVT parking objects - reference number US23533

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/Vehicle-Tracking-Layer-Assignment-for-Parking-Objects

3. Dimensioning of AVT parking islands - reference number US23632

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/AVT-Dimensioning-of-Parking-Islands

The fourth item raised was the display of parking bay numbers. I have created a short article explaining this but would be interested to know if you think that the explanation will address the current difficulties a number of users have indicated they have experienced when setting this up.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/Vehicle-Tracking-Parking-Bay-Numbers

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Thank you.

Viji.Kumar
Message 13 of 23
jmayo-EE

3. Dimensioning of AVT parking islands - reference number US23632

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/AVT-Dimensioning-of-Parking-Islands

That link doesn't work for me. Perhaps it is to new to work yet.

Either way I do hope this case mentiones the incorrect dimension values as getting the correct radius values as Joe pointed out is critical.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 23
viji.kumar
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Hi John.

The link is working now and the dimensioning error is documented.

Viji.Kumar
Message 15 of 23
Cadguru42

I had high hopes for this program, but it's basically useless and a waste of $1,800. Even though AutoTURN is a complete pain to use, at least it uses the design values that are input and can be dimensioned. Who seriously makes a program that asks for sizes of something and then ignores them? 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 16 of 23
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Cadguru42

e

are you saying the vehichle tracking is flawed as well?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 17 of 23
Cadguru42

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

e

are you saying the vehichle tracking is flawed as well?

The same problem with the curbs in the parking side affects the vehicle envelopes. They are short cords and not arcs, so you can't list radii. That's not a complete deal breaker, but it's annoying as hell. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 18 of 23
jmayo-EE

I think the link went down again. I can't get expected stall counts on straight runs.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 19 of 23
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmayo-EE

the double loaded are give a row and total, wierd. Is that waht it is?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 20 of 23

FYI

There is now an AVT forum >>>HERE<<<

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report