AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Rich Banker
Message 1 of 13 (578 Views)

Autodesk Civil 3D 2006 vs. InRoads

578 Views, 12 Replies
04-01-2005 07:34 AM
Does anyone know where I might be able to find an objective evaluation comparing InRoads to Autodesk's Civil 3D 2006 package? Thanks!
*Rad Lazic
Message 2 of 13 (578 Views)

Re: Autodesk Civil 3D 2006 vs. InRoads

04-01-2005 09:10 AM in reply to: *Rich Banker
Rich, The best option is to contact your Autodesk reseller, I know they will be able to help you with this. regs Rad "Rich Banker" wrote in message news:424d6a1f$1_3@newsprd01... > Does anyone know where I might be able to find an objective evaluation > comparing InRoads to Autodesk's Civil 3D 2006 package? > > Thanks! > >
*Rad Lazic
Message 3 of 13 (578 Views)

04-01-2005 09:11 AM in reply to: *Rich Banker
You can also have a look at: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5173807 cheers "Rich Banker" wrote in message news:424d6a1f$1_3@newsprd01... > Does anyone know where I might be able to find an objective evaluation > comparing InRoads to Autodesk's Civil 3D 2006 package? > > Thanks! > >
*Rich Banker
Message 4 of 13 (578 Views)

04-01-2005 09:39 AM in reply to: *Rich Banker
Thanks! "Rad Lazic" wrote in message news:424d80f3_1@newsprd01... > You can also have a look at: > > http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5173807 > > cheers > > "Rich Banker" wrote in message > news:424d6a1f$1_3@newsprd01... >> Does anyone know where I might be able to find an objective evaluation >> comparing InRoads to Autodesk's Civil 3D 2006 package? >> >> Thanks! >> >> > >
Contributor
jtgb
Message 5 of 13 (578 Views)

04-01-2005 11:02 AM in reply to: *Rich Banker
Hi:

I'm also looking for the same thing, or even an example of a company or agency that had been using Bentley's GEOPAK or InRoads System and switched to Autodesk's Civil 3D. Or even one that used Microstation generally and switched to autocad. I'd be really interested to know what their experience has been in terms of time and cost savings. The white paper referred to in the last post is a good start - but it would be better if something similar came from a thrid party - unassociated with either Bentley Systems or AutoDesk. cheers.
*Rad Lazic
Message 6 of 13 (578 Views)

04-04-2005 04:55 PM in reply to: *Rich Banker
Paladin, Very good point! I would look for an independent consultant's advise in this matter. You can engage in a very productive discussion with them and build your own conclusions. The value of those discussions is the fact that you would be getting as close as possible to an advise that is not biased by a need to sell the software. I know there are a number of those consultants that monitor this newsgroup on a very regular basis. ... cheers Rad "Paladin" wrote in message news:22203793.1112382193014.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hi: > > I'm also looking for the same thing, or even an example of a company or > agency that had been using Bentley's GEOPAK or InRoads System and switched > to Autodesk's Civil 3D. Or even one that used Microstation generally and > switched to autocad. I'd be really interested to know what their > experience has been in terms of time and cost savings. The white paper > referred to in the last post is a good start - but it would be better if > something similar came from a thrid party - unassociated with either > Bentley Systems or AutoDesk. cheers.
Contributor
jtgb
Message 7 of 13 (578 Views)

04-05-2005 03:30 AM in reply to: *Rich Banker
Thanks for the advice Rad.

I work for a mid-sized engineering consultant who have always used Microstation based on the fact that one (and only one) of our larger clients is Microstation-based. The rest of our clients use AutoCad and we seem to be spending incredible amounts of money converting drawings when they come in, and then converting them back to AutoCad when they they go back to the client. I'm looking for justification to to tell the powers that be here that it's simply not worth it, and that we should be using AutoCad.

Our Microstation product is heavily customized - in fact it took four people, full time, over a year to customize the latsest Microstation 8 when we moved from release J. I can't help but think that AutoCad and Civil 3d would be so much easier - i just to prove it.

Thanks again

Paladin
*Rich Banker
Message 8 of 13 (578 Views)

04-05-2005 06:02 AM in reply to: *Rich Banker
Same here, our firm uses both Microstation and AutoCAD, both platforms run InRoads and Storm & Sanitary. The Bentley products don't seem to run very well on the AutoCAD platform. Most of the clients that my department works with use LDD. If there are any independant consultants out there, what are your thoughts? Thanks! Rich "Paladin" wrote in message news:24330459.1112697053762.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Thanks for the advice Rad. > > I work for a mid-sized engineering consultant who have always used > Microstation based on the fact that one (and only one) of our larger > clients is Microstation-based. The rest of our clients use AutoCad and we > seem to be spending incredible amounts of money converting drawings when > they come in, and then converting them back to AutoCad when they they go > back to the client. I'm looking for justification to to tell the powers > that be here that it's simply not worth it, and that we should be using > AutoCad. > > Our Microstation product is heavily customized - in fact it took four > people, full time, over a year to customize the latsest Microstation 8 > when we moved from release J. I can't help but think that AutoCad and > Civil 3d would be so much easier - i just to prove it. > > Thanks again > > Paladin
*Neil W
Message 9 of 13 (578 Views)

04-06-2005 12:56 PM in reply to: *Rich Banker
I would be very surprised to see any Bentley based agencies switching over to C3D at this stage of development. I think you would even find there are few Autodesk shops that have fully implmented C3D, simply because it is not ready to be used as a stand alone design platform. On the other hand, the Bentley products are fully matured and developed. Thus any comparisons with the Bentley applications with the current incarnatin of C3D would be highly unbalanced. "Paladin" wrote in message news:22203793.1112382193014.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hi: > > I'm also looking for the same thing, or even an example of a company or > agency that had been using Bentley's GEOPAK or InRoads System and switched > to Autodesk's Civil 3D. Or even one that used Microstation generally and > switched to autocad. I'd be really interested to know what their > experience has been in terms of time and cost savings. The white paper > referred to in the last post is a good start - but it would be better if > something similar came from a thrid party - unassociated with either > Bentley Systems or AutoDesk. cheers.
*wfb
Message 10 of 13 (578 Views)

04-06-2005 01:11 PM in reply to: *Rich Banker
Neil, I concur with you 100%. It appears that Civil 3D is 1 to 2 years from being in a position to be compared to "about anything". Bill "Neil W" wrote in message news:42543eb2_3@newsprd01... > I would be very surprised to see any Bentley based agencies switching over > to C3D at this stage of development. I think you would even find there are > few Autodesk shops that have fully implmented C3D, simply because it is not > ready to be used as a stand alone design platform. On the other hand, the > Bentley products are fully matured and developed. Thus any comparisons with > the Bentley applications with the current incarnatin of C3D would be highly > unbalanced. >
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.