Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Civil 3D 2006 vs. InRoads

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
906 Views, 12 Replies

Autodesk Civil 3D 2006 vs. InRoads

Does anyone know where I might be able to find an objective evaluation comparing InRoads to Autodesk's Civil 3D 2006 package? Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Rich, The best option is to contact your Autodesk reseller, I know they will be able to help you with this. regs Rad "Rich Banker" wrote in message news:424d6a1f$1_3@newsprd01... > Does anyone know where I might be able to find an objective evaluation > comparing InRoads to Autodesk's Civil 3D 2006 package? > > Thanks! > >
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

You can also have a look at: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5173807 cheers "Rich Banker" wrote in message news:424d6a1f$1_3@newsprd01... > Does anyone know where I might be able to find an objective evaluation > comparing InRoads to Autodesk's Civil 3D 2006 package? > > Thanks! > >
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks! "Rad Lazic" wrote in message news:424d80f3_1@newsprd01... > You can also have a look at: > > http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5173807 > > cheers > > "Rich Banker" wrote in message > news:424d6a1f$1_3@newsprd01... >> Does anyone know where I might be able to find an objective evaluation >> comparing InRoads to Autodesk's Civil 3D 2006 package? >> >> Thanks! >> >> > >
Message 5 of 13
jtgb

Hi:

I'm also looking for the same thing, or even an example of a company or agency that had been using Bentley's GEOPAK or InRoads System and switched to Autodesk's Civil 3D. Or even one that used Microstation generally and switched to autocad. I'd be really interested to know what their experience has been in terms of time and cost savings. The white paper referred to in the last post is a good start - but it would be better if something similar came from a thrid party - unassociated with either Bentley Systems or AutoDesk. cheers.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Paladin, Very good point! I would look for an independent consultant's advise in this matter. You can engage in a very productive discussion with them and build your own conclusions. The value of those discussions is the fact that you would be getting as close as possible to an advise that is not biased by a need to sell the software. I know there are a number of those consultants that monitor this newsgroup on a very regular basis. ... cheers Rad "Paladin" wrote in message news:22203793.1112382193014.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hi: > > I'm also looking for the same thing, or even an example of a company or > agency that had been using Bentley's GEOPAK or InRoads System and switched > to Autodesk's Civil 3D. Or even one that used Microstation generally and > switched to autocad. I'd be really interested to know what their > experience has been in terms of time and cost savings. The white paper > referred to in the last post is a good start - but it would be better if > something similar came from a thrid party - unassociated with either > Bentley Systems or AutoDesk. cheers.
Message 7 of 13
jtgb

Thanks for the advice Rad.

I work for a mid-sized engineering consultant who have always used Microstation based on the fact that one (and only one) of our larger clients is Microstation-based. The rest of our clients use AutoCad and we seem to be spending incredible amounts of money converting drawings when they come in, and then converting them back to AutoCad when they they go back to the client. I'm looking for justification to to tell the powers that be here that it's simply not worth it, and that we should be using AutoCad.

Our Microstation product is heavily customized - in fact it took four people, full time, over a year to customize the latsest Microstation 8 when we moved from release J. I can't help but think that AutoCad and Civil 3d would be so much easier - i just to prove it.

Thanks again

Paladin
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Same here, our firm uses both Microstation and AutoCAD, both platforms run InRoads and Storm & Sanitary. The Bentley products don't seem to run very well on the AutoCAD platform. Most of the clients that my department works with use LDD. If there are any independant consultants out there, what are your thoughts? Thanks! Rich "Paladin" wrote in message news:24330459.1112697053762.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Thanks for the advice Rad. > > I work for a mid-sized engineering consultant who have always used > Microstation based on the fact that one (and only one) of our larger > clients is Microstation-based. The rest of our clients use AutoCad and we > seem to be spending incredible amounts of money converting drawings when > they come in, and then converting them back to AutoCad when they they go > back to the client. I'm looking for justification to to tell the powers > that be here that it's simply not worth it, and that we should be using > AutoCad. > > Our Microstation product is heavily customized - in fact it took four > people, full time, over a year to customize the latsest Microstation 8 > when we moved from release J. I can't help but think that AutoCad and > Civil 3d would be so much easier - i just to prove it. > > Thanks again > > Paladin
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

I would be very surprised to see any Bentley based agencies switching over to C3D at this stage of development. I think you would even find there are few Autodesk shops that have fully implmented C3D, simply because it is not ready to be used as a stand alone design platform. On the other hand, the Bentley products are fully matured and developed. Thus any comparisons with the Bentley applications with the current incarnatin of C3D would be highly unbalanced. "Paladin" wrote in message news:22203793.1112382193014.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hi: > > I'm also looking for the same thing, or even an example of a company or > agency that had been using Bentley's GEOPAK or InRoads System and switched > to Autodesk's Civil 3D. Or even one that used Microstation generally and > switched to autocad. I'd be really interested to know what their > experience has been in terms of time and cost savings. The white paper > referred to in the last post is a good start - but it would be better if > something similar came from a thrid party - unassociated with either > Bentley Systems or AutoDesk. cheers.
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Neil, I concur with you 100%. It appears that Civil 3D is 1 to 2 years from being in a position to be compared to "about anything". Bill "Neil W" wrote in message news:42543eb2_3@newsprd01... > I would be very surprised to see any Bentley based agencies switching over > to C3D at this stage of development. I think you would even find there are > few Autodesk shops that have fully implmented C3D, simply because it is not > ready to be used as a stand alone design platform. On the other hand, the > Bentley products are fully matured and developed. Thus any comparisons with > the Bentley applications with the current incarnatin of C3D would be highly > unbalanced. >
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Well, Bill I'll have to call you on the carpet this time around.

You have been paying attention to how quickly the C3D team brought out a
"start" on the way to replacing Pipes, I imagine. And they have shown
(someone will for sure claim smoke and mirrors) that they are poised to
deliver a shareable product for production purposes, any day now. I was
squarely in the camp of "this is a very good product for Planning purposes",
until I caught the "ShareWare" kick off by Dave the end of March. I still
need to watch the week before last's Webcast to flesh-out the Multi-User
scenario. They responded very quickly to the furor raised here regarding our
perceived (and well-voiced) needs for both Pipes and sharing the
Design/Drafting burden.

There's bound to be the usual "burn-in" period of "How do we get this kink
out of it?" after the release - but the Deskers are showing me a responsive
side that we've not seen for years.

I'm thinking this is a breath of fresh air, after so long spent in the LA
Basin (as it were).

--
Don Reichle
"King Of Work-Arounds"
LDT3/CD3
IntelP4-2.4
1GB RAM
Intel 64MB

"wfb" wrote in message
news:4804180@discussion.autodesk.com...
> Neil, I concur with you 100%. It appears that Civil 3D is 1 to 2 years
> from
> being in a position to be compared to "about anything".
>
> Bill
>
>
> "Neil W" wrote in message
> news:42543eb2_3@newsprd01...
>> I would be very surprised to see any Bentley based agencies switching
>> over
>> to C3D at this stage of development. I think you would even find there
>> are
>> few Autodesk shops that have fully implmented C3D, simply because it is
> not
>> ready to be used as a stand alone design platform. On the other hand, the
>> Bentley products are fully matured and developed. Thus any comparisons
> with
>> the Bentley applications with the current incarnatin of C3D would be
> highly
>> unbalanced.
>>
>
>
>
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Don:
How come the 6 day delay in your response?
Now, I am a person that has to eat a lot of words. Believe me, I hope I
have to do it over this. Since I haven't seen anything but the webcast
concerning "Pipes", it appears that with all the 3-D piping with structures,
etc., there must me a large amount of computer overhead used up. Am I
wrong? I hope so, but no one has taken me to task, yet. What next(?), I
suppose we must wait for the 64 bit. I'm ready, but then how long for
software, including drivers to get on board.

Bill
(4 weeks after the roll-out will be a good time to get the "feeling".)

"Don Reichle" wrote in message
news:4811643@discussion.autodesk.com...
> Well, Bill I'll have to call you on the carpet this time around.
>
>
> You have been paying attention to how quickly the C3D team brought out a
> "start" on the way to replacing Pipes, I imagine. And they have shown
> (someone will for sure claim smoke and mirrors) that they are poised to
> deliver a shareable product for production purposes, any day now. I was
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Well, you're aware that the Webcasts are run on laptops, right? (somebody
correct me if I'm wrong) Not something known for speed of either processor
or video card. And granted all the files are local, so we're not able to
compare our apples with their oranges (my pet peeve), so they probably would
run at about the same speed as a "normal" workstation, all things considered
(No, I don't listen to NPR!).

And my "lag time" is due to all the interesting topics there have been
lately.

OT portion:
I've been wondering where you are located?

--
Don Reichle
"King Of Work-Arounds"
LDT3/CD3
IntelP4-2.4
1GB RAM
Intel 64MB

"wfb" wrote in message
news:4812167@discussion.autodesk.com...
> Don:
> How come the 6 day delay in your response?
> Now, I am a person that has to eat a lot of words. Believe me, I hope I
> have to do it over this. Since I haven't seen anything but the webcast
> concerning "Pipes", it appears that with all the 3-D piping with
> structures,
> etc., there must me a large amount of computer overhead used up. Am I
> wrong? I hope so, but no one has taken me to task, yet. What next(?), I
> suppose we must wait for the 64 bit. I'm ready, but then how long for
> software, including drivers to get on board.
>
>
> Bill
> (4 weeks after the roll-out will be a good time to get the "feeling".)
>
>
>
> "Don Reichle" wrote in message
> news:4811643@discussion.autodesk.com...
>> Well, Bill I'll have to call you on the carpet this time around.
>>
>>
>> You have been paying attention to how quickly the C3D team brought out a
>> "start" on the way to replacing Pipes, I imagine. And they have shown
>> (someone will for sure claim smoke and mirrors) that they are poised to
>> deliver a shareable product for production purposes, any day now. I was

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report