Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad WS for Android

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
neilyj666
668 Views, 9 Replies

Autocad WS for Android

As there doesn't seem to be a WS forum....

I was on a site visit today and wanted to use ws and the new GPS facilities as I walked around. I uploaded the dwg in the office and it looked good on my Galaxy S2 Android Phone.

At the site visit, it took WS ages to login and it seemed to be constantly trying to connect via the mobile network. I thought that the dwgs were on the Android device to eliminate this need (and if you have no network coverage, AutoCAD WS would seem a bit pointless if it has to continually connect) - anyone know ??

It is also difficult to see outdoors in bright sunlight (a failing of the device rather than Autodesk) and hence to locate and use the icons.

At the moment, for me anyway, AutoCAD WS is a fail....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

I'm using WS on a Xoom Wifi only tablet and I can pull up files when I'm not on a network. I wonder if you are on a network if it keeps trying to keep the files in sync (thus causing your problem).

There are some glare reducing screen protectors out there that help a little with the light problem.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 3 of 10

@michael.robertson wrote:

I'm using WS on a Xoom Wifi only tablet and I can pull up files when I'm not on a network. I wonder if you are on a network if it keeps trying to keep the files in sync (thus causing your problem).

There are some glare reducing screen protectors out there that help a little with the light problem.

Do you mean office Computer network or Mobile (cell) phone network?? I've got Local Storage enabled and the file I was using is listed in Remove Local Files so I assume its on my device.

I've just loaded up the file on my device back in the office and am zooming in and out and scrolling with no problem at all....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10

By network I meant either Wifi or Cellular, I'm assuming if the device is on either type of network it tries to keep the file in sync. Not sure, just my guess.

I would expect your office network would be much faster than your cellular network which would explain the different behavior. (if you connect to your office network via Wifi)

On my phone I use wifi for data whenever possible because it is much faster than cellular (once 4G is prevelant it might be a different story).

Mike Robertson
Message 5 of 10

I think it may have been a poor reception area for cellular network...

When you first start up WS, you have to login - what it there is no cell phone reception (or Wifi)?? Can WS be used "offline"??

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
DarrenP
in reply to: neilyj666

i have an iphone 4s with 3g off & wireless off

i can still open up autocad ws only if it saved your log in information

if not then it will still open up but you can't log in to use it

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

it doesn't look like there is an offline mode

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
michael.robertson
in reply to: DarrenP

Confirm, have login set to automatic and file is saved I can access with no network (wifi or cellular) and have no problems.

Mike Robertson
Message 9 of 10

The key here is when you are online is to SAVE the file your are interested in accessing, that brings it local. I can access this file without problems when offline. If you make changes in the field you can hit the "Sync" button when you are back online to get your files back onto the cloud storage.

Mike Robertson
Message 10 of 10

Hmmm ..... turned off packet data on my phone and the drawing hung at 61%.....just turned packet data back on and its loaded just fine...turned packet data off again and WS is unresponsive

Stopped WS , packet data off, restarted WS and the drawing loads fully again

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report