AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Valued Contributor
billneu08
Message 51 of 132 (665 Views)

Re: AutoCAD usage by DOTs

03-15-2012 01:53 PM in reply to: mike.barkasi

Come on Mike, you are starting to remind me of a polititian during a debate! Simple question, how many weeks/months will a beginner need to spend in Florida learning how to design roads...... that includes, importing survey data, creating your EG surface, maybe showing an aerial or two, creating an alignment here and there, maybe one or two intersections, don't forget your FG profile, your template, then your sections, then your earthworks.......  HOW MANY DAYS WOULD IT TAKE A NEW STUDENT OUT OF school to learn this?  And just for the fun of it lets design the Storm Sewer while we are at it?

HOW MANY WEEKS OF REALLY EXPENSIVE TRAINING IS THIS???? But then again it is in sunny Florida! :smileywink:

You've got us on on pins and needles??? Again your software is so easy to learn......your words not mine!

Distinguished Contributor
mike.barkasi
Message 52 of 132 (662 Views)

03-15-2012 02:00 PM in reply to: engrtech

So how many roads have you modeled (engineered)?

Can you name one DOT that switched From a Bentley Civil to Civil3D?

So your boss,s sister thats an engineer for a company....your kidding me right?...

*Expert Elite*
Neilw
Message 53 of 132 (661 Views)

03-15-2012 02:10 PM in reply to: engrtech

I'm sure you can find Ex Acad users who prefer Microstation as well. It's a rather subjective discussion. After using LDT since ver. 1.0 I had my first experience with Microstation in late summer of 2007 and am now using Power Civil v8i SS1 along with C3D 2012. I must say that overall I prefer Microstation over Autocad as a cad platform for several reasons which I won't go into here.

What I think deserves mention in this discussion is that the InRoads and Geopak that most users here are familiar with have been around for a long time and if you want to make comparisons it would be more fair to compare them with Land Desktop age wise.

Within the last 2 years or so Bentley has been gradually implementing their new Civil Platform technology which is eventually going to replace the older technology in use at this time. I have worked with it's earliest release and I must say it's quite impressive. I think the core technology behind it is fundamentally superior to Autodesk's approach with ARX technology and all the compatability issues that follow. In the current state of affairs it is easy to see that C3D has the advantage but that is comparing old technology to new.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
Infrastructure Suite/C3D 2013, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 7 64 PRO
HP Pavillion h8xt, i7 2600, 12 GB
RADEON 6450, 1 GB
http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Valued Contributor
billneu08
Message 54 of 132 (647 Views)

03-15-2012 02:17 PM in reply to: mike.barkasi

Still can't hear ya Mike?

Back in the early days how many years did it take a DOT to get all of the required Seed files and Criteria files made prior to doing their first design? Sorry new question, I should shut up and let you answer my last one first!  :smileyhappy:

Here: I'll break it down for you and you just fill in the blanks:

Importing survey data:              ____ Days

Creating Surfaces:                   _____Days

Creating Alignements/Profile   _____Days

Creating criteria Files              _____Days

Creating the Road                   _____Days

Creating X-sections                 _____Days

Road Earthworks                     _____Days

Storm sewer layout                  _____Days

Storm Sewer Design               _____Days

I tried to check your website but looks like you must be a paid subscriber to get this data from your website now. Last time I saw something I belive most of this training was in 5 day chunks, and that was per subject.  Show me a link that tells us otherwise?  At 9 seperate classes at 5 days per class at x$ per day.....thats a lot of XXs.... and don't forget the numerous trips to Florida!

Again really easy stuff to learn!

Bill Neuhauser P.E.

Valued Mentor
engrtech
Message 55 of 132 (639 Views)

03-15-2012 02:44 PM in reply to: bwyarger

@Mike

I've designed around 10 road projects and 5 parking lots for the past 8 years if you must know. And no, I'm not kidding about my boss' sister. Her firm is in Sevier County TN and moved to Civil 3d from MS. I gave them our templates to get started.

I don't appreciate you insinuating that I have no idea what I'm talking about and that I'm lying. You troll this group enough already.

IDSP 2015
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
8GB RAM
mike.barkasi
Message 56 of 132 (607 Views)

03-15-2012 05:25 PM in reply to: engrtech

I never thought you were lying...

Neil said it best when he said, use by a specific user (a friend of a friend ect) is subjective...(IE : my 5 year old draws with MicroStation he started when he was 4).

Bills  arguement is also foolish... the length of time it takes to learn something depends on the student , the teacher, and the software... if cost is an issue just go to the dot website download the dataset and the guide... I think FREE beats his cost... if you want me your looking at a few bills (but I am well worth it ;-)  )

I merely come on here and present technical facts and debate the propeganda Autodesk puts out... if your strongest arguement is everyone uses it (and this is your strongest argument, though not totally true), by that same thinking if everyone jumped off a cliff would you?

Reality is over the past 2 yrs Bentley has gained market share against Autodesk in the areas where we compete. Companies working on the largest infrastructure projeccts in the world rely on our software.

All the best

Mike

*Expert Elite*
Sinc
Message 57 of 132 (596 Views)

03-15-2012 05:45 PM in reply to: mike.barkasi

mike.barkasi wrote:

Can you name one DOT that switched From a Bentley Civil to Civil3D?

No, can't name one, but I can name Tennesse DOT, Florida DOT, Wisconsin DOT, Alaska DOT, Colorado DOT, Caltrans, and probably more...

Sinc
mike.barkasi
Message 58 of 132 (590 Views)

03-15-2012 06:00 PM in reply to: Sinc

Sync you are wrong. NOT ONE of those mentioned has switched from using a Bentley software.

(WisDOT Alaska and Caltrans all were standardized on Caice...) Florida- still cannot pass standards checker (as of early this yr)

Valued Mentor
engrtech
Message 59 of 132 (586 Views)

03-15-2012 06:37 PM in reply to: mike.barkasi

mike.barkasi wrote:

Sync you are wrong. NOT ONE of those mentioned has switched from using a Bentley software.

(WisDOT Alaska and Caltrans all were standardized on Caice...) Florida- still cannot pass standards checker (as of early this yr)

None of them have completely switched, but they are in the process.  They can't just switch overnight, so don't try to sugar-coat the fact that they are in the process of leaving Bentley's products.

IDSP 2015
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
8GB RAM
Valued Mentor
engrtech
Message 60 of 132 (616 Views)

03-15-2012 08:08 PM in reply to: engrtech

There's no disputing the fact that many DOTs are currently in the process of switching to Civil 3D, others are contemplating the switch, some are going to accept both, and some just aren't going to switch.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

IDSP 2015
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
8GB RAM
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.