Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD crashes when not connected to the network

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
tclarke1243
3107 Views, 14 Replies

AutoCAD crashes when not connected to the network

Hi, I'm not that familiar with AutoCAD so you'll have to bare with me(I'm an IT guy)...  We are using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010, the majority of our users run Civil 3D from within our network environment, but we do have one site that is it outside of our network..  We recently upgraded to Windows 7/Civil 3D 2010(from Civil 2008)..  Civil 3d appears to work ok for the users that are working from within our network, but the offsite users get error messages and Civil 3D crashes when the application is first launched..

They get the following error...

"Cannot find the resource string number 25202 in resource 321585152"

As soon as I plug one of these PCs into our network it loads ok, if I disconnect the PC I get this error message..

Any ideas?

Thanks..

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
GTVic
in reply to: tclarke1243

Do you have roaming profiles enabled or profiles stored on a network share? Then those users that are off the network may be trying to access stuff that is not cached/synchronized properly on the hard drive.

I did a google search on "cannot find the resource string number in resource", didn't even reference AutoCAD and most of the result had to do with AutoCAD. You might find some assistance there.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=77650

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=71765

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=70081

Some of the results mention issues with xrefs in specific drawings but your issue sounds like a startup problem not related to any drawing in particular. Maybe try changing the "start in" folder in the shortcut from the UserDataCache folder to something else like "C:\Data".

Message 3 of 15
hgohel

Can you tell me which Update is installed for the users that are reporting crashes?  The latest available for Civil 3D 2010 is Update 3.

For those users who are reporting crashes, were they able to send in crash reports?  If so, could you please send me an email address that was used when submitting the report so I can look it up?  My email is himanshu.gohel@autodesk.com

Thanks,

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 15
tclarke1243

It is update 3..  I'm trying to send you one now, but it's not prompting to send one...

Message 5 of 15
tclarke1243
in reply to: GTVic

These users are just using local profiles as they are not on our network..  I wouldn't think anything would be cached as these brand new builds, these PCs/user accounts have never been on our network..

Message 6 of 15
hgohel

Update 3, that's good.  So as far as the "crash" goes - first they see that message about unknown resource, they presumably click "OK" to that, and then what?  Does C3D exit immediately after that?  If you're not getting a CER window to report the crash then the troubleshooting steps will be different.

You may want to fire up ProcMon (Sysinternals.com) and monitor acad.exe to see what's going on during the launch.  Being an IT guy I think you may be familiar with the tool.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 15
tclarke1243
in reply to: hgohel

The error keeps repeating itself, it never makes it into the application, I have to kill it through task manager..

I tried doing what one of the other posters said and changed the Start In field on the icon to C:\Data, I created this folder and granted full control to it..  The application gave a different error message this time.. 

"FATAL ERROR: Unhandled e0434f4dh Exception at 75bb9617h"

Message 8 of 15
hgohel

My suggestion would be to repair the install on a PC that's showing this behavior.  Launch it once to make sure you can still reproduce the problem.

If you can then fire up ProcMon, set it to monitor acad.exe, and launch Civil 3D 2010.  Keep an eye on the output of ProcMon to see if you can figure out what's it's looking for when you get that missing resource error.  It might point you to a file that's missing, or a path that it's looking in that's not found, etc.

Let us know how you get on.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 15
tclarke1243

I've re-imaged the PC and put a fresh copy of Civil 3D on it..  I've also imaged a different PC and installed Civil 3D..  We have a network deployment of Civil that I've used on many other PCs that works fine..  Used the same deployment of Civil 3D, same OS image as working PCs..  I also tried manually installing Civil 3D off the DVD, same result..  The only difference is that one PC is connected to the network and one is not..

I just sent you the log file from Process Monitor in an email..

It's really strange, I can take a PC, plug it in to our network, log in as local administrator, open Civil 3D, it works fine..  I close Civil, unplug the network connection, open Civil and it crashes, reconnect the network cable and it's fine...  Would it be saving something to the network?  I'm logging in with a local user account..  No folders are redirected or anything..  At the other site users do not have a connection to our network, but still have an internet connection..

Message 10 of 15
tclarke1243

There are several reg keys that it looks for that aren't found in Process Monitor, it looks to HKLM, then to HKCU, would this be part of it?  Wouldn't it install these reg keys when I put a fresh copy on the PC though?

Message 11 of 15
GTVic

If it launches fine when connected to the network and then you go back off the network and try again, does it fail in that scenario? Sounds like that was what you were saying but I wanted to confirm.

When it launches fine on the network, you could type the commands DWGPREFIX and ACADPREFIX to see all the folders it is accessing. If one of those is a network location then that would be the problem.

You could also try exporting all the system variables to a text file (.SCR) and examine that with NOTEPAD to see if any network folders are specified. Use the SYSVDLG command to do that.

Basically I am wondering if this is a customized deployment where someone maybe has pointed a default setting to a network location?

Message 12 of 15
GTVic

I see by your earlier reply that you have tried straight off the DVD so the network path thing is unlikely. But you may be having an issue with the profile being created improperly during the install. What you can do to combat that is to force AutoCAD to re-create the profile the next time it is launched. To do that you simply delete a registry key under HKCU and delete a folder.

Type %APPDATA% into the windows explorer path bar, then navigate to "Autodesk" and delete the folder for the specific version of AutoCAD that you are having problems with (e.g. C:\Users\jsmith\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\C3D 2010).

Then delete the key under HKCU\Software\Autodesk that relates to the version (e.g. HKCU\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.0\ACAD-8000:409 is probably correct for Civil 3D 2010). Just delete that whole key.

When AutoCAD relaunches it will rebuild the profile from scratch. Make sure you use the end-user's login id to do all of the above and don't elevate permissions to some other account id.

Also you could try temporarily giving the user admin rights until AutoCAD is working, then put him back to the default and see if it still works.

Message 13 of 15
tclarke1243

I checked the system path variable and there was a network location specified..  The network path in the variable was used for another of our applications..  I removed this and it works fine..  Strange that something in the path variable would crash Civil 3D..

Works now though, woohoo!   Big thanks to everyone for all the help!

Message 14 of 15
darianklare

Old thread, but thought I could provide some clarity for people still looking.....

This issue is due to the Autodesk profile .arg.  With the release of Windows 7, Microsoft updated paths for 32bit vs 64bit architecture; Win7 32bit - "C:\Program Files (x86)" when the conventional XP 32bit machines used to be "C:\Program Files".  This change in the paths will cause ACAD .arg profiles to break when imported to a Win7 machine.  Best advice....recreate your .arg separately for XP as well as Win7 and they will work as designed.

Tags (3)
Message 15 of 15
yee-fan
in reply to: darianklare

I just installed SP3 for my C3D 2010, and immediately had these errors.  I had to, as the previous post suggested, stop using my profile (created long long ago and imported) and started from scratch.  Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report