Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Civil 3D volume calculations for concrete piles

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
MatTheDrafter
2538 Views, 9 Replies

AutoCAD Civil 3D volume calculations for concrete piles

I have been asked to do volume calculations using Civil 3D for some concrete piles for a oil/survey company.  I have done volume calculations for site and land development projects but nothing to do with concrete piles before.  It also appears I am the only person with any Civil 3D back ground in the office.  I did mention my experience with Civil 3D was limited but I was trying to expand it by looking for Civil 3D jobs and working through the 2012 Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D book. 

I am assuming doing volume calculations for concrete piles is quite different from doing volume calculations for grading plans.  The company has been primary using AutoCAD Maps and doesn't have much set up for AutoCAD Civil 3D yet.  If someone has some suggestion that could help that would be greatly appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
dgorsman
in reply to: MatTheDrafter

Welcome aboard 🙂

You're in luck - piles in the oilpatch are very simple, much simpler than with cut/fill volumes.  There will be only a handful of sizes (in many cases three or less), so once identified you only need to calculate the volume for each size/class and multiply it by the number of instances.

DWG-wise, this can be done in 2D with simple blocks and appropriate attributes and counted via data extraction.  In 3D it can be a little trickier, but with some coding the volume of a regular solid is directly readable.  It also has the advantage of handling less-regular solids, such as vessel or compressor bases.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 10
MatTheDrafter
in reply to: dgorsman

Well the version of AutoCAD I am using here at the office is Civil 3D 2014 which I never used before. I have only done volume calculations for cut and fill for land development and very new to oil-patch work.

This is my first job directly dealing with oil industry sadly so I am not fully aware of all the terminology used. I believe the calculations they want me to do is simple concrete piles in the ground or bore holes for geological reports. Neither of which I have experience in doing. I don’t have much experience in coding volumes for different materials. Is there a process you can suggest I try when approaching these assignments?

How would you do it in 2D with simple blocks? What attributes would those blocks need to have to extract the proper data. How I usually went about volume calculations is creating two different surfaces and comparing the two and see what Civil 3D shows me.

Message 4 of 10
g_k50

My training in using any new computer program was to do the problem by hand and then compare that answer to the computer programs answer.  If they were in the same order of magnitude, I accepted that I had modeled the problem correctly in the computer.

So do the problem by hand first, then look at the steps you've taken, then try to computerize those steps.

So essentially, you have to get the lenght of the pile, multiply that times the area of the pile, that's volume 1.

Of course if the pile has a step in it, usually it's the top is smaller than the bottom, make two calculations with different lengths and differnt areas, add the resulting volumes together.

Repeat as needed.

This might be a job for Geotechnical portion of Civil 3d, check your subscription.

Message 5 of 10
Pointdump

My first thought is to reach for my Construction Master calculator ($50 at Home Depot). That's how I've always figured concrete volumes. But then I thought of the possibilities of using C3D with the report functions and extruding the piles to the correct depth to view them in 3D. Overkill, possibly.

Do you just need to calculate a pile or two, or are there thousands of them? Is the diameter consistant or stepped?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 6 of 10
Pointdump

BD,

I've been playing. I drew 5 circles at the elevation of my ground, diameter=4', extruded them down 100', then used MassProp command. Voila! Of course the volume is in cubic feet, so you'd have to convert to cubic yards to order concrete.

Piles.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 7 of 10
jmayo-EE

If you want to use C3D's volume and/or reporting tools, draw the lower circle. Use mapclean to turn them into plines. Offset this inside by .01 units. Make a surface for one pile with the two plines. Copy the surface to the other locations.

If you want all of the piers in one surface place all of the plines into it. Draw a big rectangle surounding them all and use this as a hide boundary for the surface. Then take each outer circle/pline and add them to the surface as show boundaries.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
Pointdump
in reply to: jmayo-EE

John,

Thanks, but you went way over my head with that one. I thought I had surfaces figured out, but I've got a ways to go. And I would very much like to learn more about the reporting tools, so I think I'll head over to the tutorials and help section.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 9 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: jmayo-EE

You'll also need to make the weeding and supplementing factors quite small to preserve the curvature of the circles.

This is a similar technique to one that I use quite regularly to calculate the concrete volumes for wind turbine bases

2013-12-10 21_33_54-AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 - [Drawing1.dwg].jpg

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 10 of 10
jmayo-EE
in reply to: neilyj666

I typically just use a midordinate of .001 and ignore weeding and supplementing.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report