Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad Civil 3D Still Freezing over surfaces with osnap on

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
ceethreedee.com
3509 Views, 21 Replies

Autocad Civil 3D Still Freezing over surfaces with osnap on

Well im still not entirely sure why onaps been on in certain drawings containing surface data causes the program to freeze. As soon as you start hovering over a few endpoints on contours etc. boom, grey screen of death. Sometimes takes about 15 minutes to recover.

This has been an issue for way too long now.. (My F3 key doesnt work the best anymore..lol)

If anyone else has experienced this.. please post.. I will try and post an example drawing soon for others to test..

List of previous posts with people with this issue

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/osnaps-and-civil-3d-surfaces-hang-time/m-p/52...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Surface-specific-C3D-hangup/td-p/4861990

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/civil-3d-often-freezes-mid-command-when-i-scr...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/freezes-crashes-transparent-screen-carrying-o...

Kapanther

Civil 3D 2021 (Update 1), ACAD (SP1.3) MAP (HF0.4)
Infraworks 2021.1,
Win 10 -DELL Precision Notebook 7730

ceethreedee.com
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Well after some basic investigation I have found the problem. 

Overlapping surfaces that both have contours displayed will cause freezing when osnaps is turned on.

Try the example drawing attached <Download here-its more than 5mb>, see image below for explanation.

Try and draw a polyline over the top of the overlapping area with onsnaps turned on

I can confirm that this happens in both Civil 3D 2014 and 2015. With 2015 recovering slighltly faster than 2014. say 3-5 minutes instead of 10 - 15minutes

osnaps freezing issue.png

Infraworks 2021.1,

ceethreedee.com
Message 3 of 22
Jeff_M
in reply to: ceethreedee.com

Not sure what you have going on, but I tested in both C3D2014 SP2 and C3D2015 SP2 with the same results seen here:

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 22
ceethreedee.com
in reply to: Jeff_M

Yeah.. mine is a whole different kettle of fish...see below.. i have tried on all of our computers with the same results...

Tried different graphics drivers, tried switching to vanilla settings. Not sure what else i can do... Its incredibly frsutrating!

View it here, i cant embed screencast for some reason.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/b3779dd5-7e70-45ca-82de-795eaa5a742e

Infraworks 2021.1,

ceethreedee.com
Message 5 of 22
Jeff_M

@ceethreedee.com wrote:

Not sure what else i can do... Its incredibly frsutrating!

Yes, it looks like it would cause me serious frustration, too. However, if it's doing that for you, but not showing any slow down at all for me, it tells me it's not 'just' C3D causing it. I'll try it on a few computers at the office tomorrow.

EESignature
Message 6 of 22
Jeff_M

ceethreedee.com wrote:

View it here, i cant embed screencast for some reason.

From the Screencast website, click the Embed link, choose the size for the forum, copy the code in the window. When composing your post/reply, get the cursor to where you want it embedded, change to the HTML tab (the default is Rich Text), now paste it in that window. You can switch back the Rich Text and continue composing.

12-18-2014 7-00-05 PM.png

EESignature
Message 7 of 22
ceethreedee.com

Yeah i did that.

What is the size for the forum? I am using 640 x 480

I get this errorembedvideo.png

Infraworks 2021.1,

ceethreedee.com
Message 8 of 22
Jeff_M

Use the one that says "Autodesk Community", make sure to copy the entire text string.

12-19-2014 6-09-47 AM.png

EESignature
Message 9 of 22
ceethreedee.com

Nope still get the same problem.. this is my code on pasting on the html tab...

<iframe width="696" height="435" src="https://screencast.autodesk.com/Embed/b3779dd5-7e70-45ca-82de-795eaa5a742e" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen></iframe>

anyway.. the real problem is the onsnaps freezing thing.. it might have something to do with our company configuration.. going to try it on home computer tongiht..

Thanks for giving it a look jeff.. wish i had your computer!

Kapanther

Infraworks 2021.1,

ceethreedee.com
Message 10 of 22

Turning off intersection and apparent intersection in the osnaps menu seems to have resolved this problem. Kind of annoying though as I use these all the time.. Guess its back to the shift selection options for me.

Infraworks 2021.1,

ceethreedee.com
Message 11 of 22

I know this is rather old but, any chance you found the root cause of this rather than turning off intersection and apparent intersection or dealing w/ the overlapping surfaces?

We are having the same issue w/ our new c3d2018 installs and found the same "solution" but our users aren't exactly excited w/ this workaround.

Message 12 of 22

This happens for me as well in C3D 2016. Haven't tried it in 2018, yet. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 13 of 22

Is there a solution?

The problem still exists in C3D 2019

Message 14 of 22

Still happens in 2020.

I'd love too hear that Autodesk fixed this, but amazingly this and other bugs persist for years and years without being addressed. I want a release that offers no new bells and whistles, no new "look", just go back and fix the bugs that users have been dealing with for years.

Message 15 of 22
drenaud
in reply to: ekohinke

what happens if you turn off tooltips - the one that shows station/offset, elevation, etc. - when you hover with the cursor?

Message 16 of 22
tpungitore
in reply to: drenaud

BUMP.

2020 and still an issue.  Rather embarrassing imo.

Message 17 of 22
Neilw_05
in reply to: tpungitore

My understanding of this behavior is when you have 2D and 3D elements in the vicinity of the snap point, Autocad gets bogged down trying to determine which snap point to grab since the difference in Z coordinates can be thousands of feet. Sometimes it takes a long time for it to resolve the snap and give control again. This has been a problem for as long as I have been using Autocad (1998).

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 18 of 22
ceethreedee.com
in reply to: Neilw_05

@Neilw_05 @tpungitore @drenaud  still an issue in 2021.... but i can say @Neilw_05 i only get this issue on Civil 3D Surfaces not on regular cad data.. even large 3d polyline sets... just on Civil 3D surfaces..

Still havent got to the root of this.. but turning off apparent intersection and intersection osnaps still works.... 😞

Infraworks 2021.1,

ceethreedee.com
Message 19 of 22
drenaud

Go to Options. On the Display tab, select or clear the Rollover ToolTips check box.Does that speed things up?

Message 20 of 22
ceethreedee.com
in reply to: drenaud

Roll over tips is a different problem again.not the same sort of lag..
Infraworks 2021.1,

ceethreedee.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report