Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Question

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
areawest
1266 Views, 21 Replies

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Question

I reloaded Civil 3D 2013 to try an resolve some issues I was having with error messages and the program taking for ever to load.  When I first redownloaded the software and installed, it was fine.  Now, two days later, I am having the same problem as before.  I get error messages saying that I am missing shape files and semantic errors in the DCL file.  When the program filanlly opens, about half, if not more, of the widgets in the ribbons are clouds with question marks.  Any suggestions?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
troma
in reply to: areawest

Maybe ask in the installation forum.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 22
wfberry

Did you completely remove the previous installation per:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=20304823&linkID=9240697

Bill

Message 4 of 22
areawest
in reply to: wfberry

Bill,

I followed the steps to completely remove 2013, but I did not remove 2010 or LDD.

Message 5 of 22
wfberry

I don't think it is necessary to remove the other products.  However, you may need to run a repair of your installation on the others if you have problems with them.

Bill

Message 6 of 22
areawest

Bill,

I spoke with a install tech yesterday and they took over my computer and ran the repair.  For some reason, a bunch of the CUI files didn't transfer in the install process.  They got it to work correctly, but when I opened the program today, same issue.  It is driving me nuts.

Message 7 of 22
Jeff_M

Are you using the correct shortcuts? It sounds like your Support paths are getting reset/removed/not used.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 22
rkmcswain

Did you allow the new install to "migrate" your files?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 9 of 22
areawest

Jeff and RK,

I used the default settings and didn't change anything.  Looking in the explorer, all the CUI files that were reloaded when the tech repaired Civil 3D yesterday, are gone today?  The only difference between today and yesterday is I turned off my laptop yesterday evening, and back on this morning.

Message 10 of 22
rkmcswain

There is no default. It will ask you if you want to migrate settings from an earlier version, and you can accept or decline.

Message 11 of 22
areawest

It doesn't make sense.  Why would all the files show up correctly one day, I shut the computer down, turn it back on, open the program and then files are missing that were there before?  I don't get it.  It should have nothing to do with migrating from previous versions.  Files are being deleted by the program.

Message 12 of 22
rkmcswain

@areawest wrote:

It doesn't make sense.  Why would all the files show up correctly one day, I shut the computer down, turn it back on, open the program and then files are missing that were there before?  I don't get it.  It should have nothing to do with migrating from previous versions.  Files are being deleted by the program.

Sorry, I was specifically inquiring about the migration because I have seen many cases where this messes up paths, which results in things not working. I was trying to verify if this was yet another case where migration had fouled things up.

I don't know how or why the program would be deleting files.... 

What is the exact location that the good files were in, which I suppose is the same place you are saying they were deleted from?

Message 13 of 22
areawest

RK,

The files are in the following location:

local drive/user/(username)/appdata/roaming/autodesk/C3D 2013/ebu/support

Message 14 of 22
rkmcswain

Ok, do you know the names of the files that were replaced with good ones and which keep getting overwritten?

Message 15 of 22
areawest

RK,

Here are the error messages that I get when I open Civil 3D 2013 in order:

• SHX files missing - ltypeshp.shx
  • AcFields.fdc not found
  • base.dcl can't find
  • error loading dialog control file
  • semantic error(s) in DCL file acadmap.dcl, see file acad.dce for details
  • semantic error(s) in DCL file ade.dcl, see file acad.dce for details

As for the missing files, see the attached.  The 3.18.13 file is from the repair that I did yesterday and then opened the program today, and the 3.19.13 file is what the folder looks like after I repaired the program today.  The 3.19.13 file looks just like it did yesterday after I repaired the program.

Thank you for your help too!

Message 16 of 22
areawest

RK,

I opened 2013 this morning and back to the same issues.  I have attached a copy of the support folder that has the delted/missing files.  This is the same folder from the 3.19.13 file that I posted yesterday.  The files are just gone!?

Also, if it matters, my computer is connected to our company server during the day, and not hooked to the server at night, but I still have the same login info either way.  The program is local and not on the network.  I am running Windows 7, 64bit.

Message 17 of 22
areawest

RK,

Here is a copy of my screen when I finally get into Civil 3D.

Message 18 of 22
Jeff_M

Just so you know, it is NOT Civil 3D doing this. Does your computer, server, or IT dept have cleanup programs runnig in the background? That is where I would be looking, since, IF it were C3D making these deletions, you can bet that there would be 1,000's of people wanting an answer to this, rather than just you.

EESignature
Message 19 of 22
areawest

Jeff,

The program is loaded and running on my laptop only, not off the server.  These files shouldn't be temp files, so I don't know why a cleanup program would be deleting them.  I do understand that if this was a problem everyone was having, then there SHOULD be a patch for it.  I am just looking for help to try and remedy the problem.  Everything we keep trying doesn't work, so I am reaching out for help.

Message 20 of 22
Jeff_M

What sort of background programs are running? Which Antivirus? Are the files being deleted getting caught by the AV and sent to the quarantine folder?

Where are you located? Perhaps someone, maybe your reseller?, could have a look at your laptop. 

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report