Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 Toolbars instead of Ribbon

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
mramseur
4979 Views, 30 Replies

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 Toolbars instead of Ribbon

Hello,

I'm getting ready to install AutoCAD Civil 3D on my computer and I like using the AutoCAD classic toolbars instead of the newer ribbon.  Does AutoCAD 2012 still have the classic toolbar that you can switch to?

Thank you.

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
wfberry
in reply to: mramseur

Why not just use the "menubar" in addition to the Ribbon.  You will miss out on commands that are only available in the Ribbon.

Bill

Message 3 of 31
michael.robertson
in reply to: wfberry

Fully agree, if you are not using the ribbon you will miss out on newer C3D commands (unless you somehow memorize every C3D command).

If you don't like the screen space of the ribbon it can be minimized where it takes up the same amount of room as a menu.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 4 of 31
AllenJessup

It does. But as the others did I recommend you leave the Ribbon open but minimizes. I was never a fan and get around it by creating ToolPaletts for different tasks. You can add any Civil 3D command you want to a ToolPalette.

The thing I do like about the Ribbon is that it is context sensitive. That means that if you select a Civil 3D object. It will automatically open a Ribbon tab with object specific commands. If you select a Featureline the tab will contain command specific to Featurelines. Likewise Surfaces, Corridors, Profiles etc.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 31
JessicaPalmer

If I understand your original question you are looking to add the toolbars but not replace the ribbons. On the View tab, at the far right hand end, is a toolbar button. First click toolbar, then choose the category and the specific toolbar to turn on.  You can place them where ever you wish.

Toolbars.png

Continue to use the Ribbon for new commands you may find that it is easier to use than some of the toolbars.

🙂

Jessica Palmer
Message 6 of 31
doug.ramstad

I'm with you. A person has certain tools that he uses all of the time. These tools take up the same space or less space than the ribbon. The ribbon often requires the operator to "click" three times to execute a command whereas the toolbar requires just one click. With Civil 3D 2013, practices are going back to toolbars. 🙂

Message 7 of 31
AllenJessup
in reply to: doug.ramstad

I like to put the commands I use most on Toolpaletts, divided up by task.

Allen

tp.PNG

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 31

The key to the Ribbon is its contextual nature. In the past the menu system has been verb - noun, where you find the command and the pick the object that you want to use that command on. If you work this way, then the ribbon is just a big tool bar that you have to wade through to find you commands.

But that's not how it is designed to work. If you select the object first the ribbon will change and present the commands that you can do on that object. For me this is the beauty of the ribbon. I never have learned where any of the commands are in the ribbon, because I know that after I select an object and look up at the ribbon, the commands that I need will be waiting for me.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 31

Thanks for the comments Peter. I wish the bug described below would get fixed in the first SP for 2013 though. It currently makes the contextual ribbon a pain to use. Why would getting something simple like this be shelved until the next release?

http://cadpanacea.com/node/373

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 10 of 31
Joe-Bouza

Other than civil3d commands what tool bars do you miss so much?

Your Name

EESignature

Message 11 of 31
hockey_hound

I always like how the replies hardly ever answer the questions asked.  It is always, you should do it this way or you should do it that way, never if this is the way you want it, then you set it up this way.  Just saying......

Message 12 of 31
troma
in reply to: hockey_hound

You resurrect an eight-month-old discussion to complain about it?

Besides, the answer is there: yes, the toolbars are available but they only contain the same commands as always.  New commands are only on the ribbon by default.  Other suggestions and recommendations were not out of place.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 13 of 31
jmayo-EE
in reply to: troma

One can be led to Autodesk Best Practices but they can't be forced to use them.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 31
troma
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I have my own toolbars that I like to keep hanging around, and I have my own pet peeves with the ribbon. But the point is that hockey_hound didn't help the OP with any suggestions, but just complained about the other replies in a rather inaccurate fashion.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 15 of 31
jmayo-EE

Troma,

There was no relation between my response and any other post. I wasn't trying to get that funny. I'm too busy with another man down in the office to dedicate any short term memory on this NG. 😉

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 16 of 31
hockey_hound

I rest my case........  I wouldn't expect any thing less from you all.

Message 17 of 31
jmayo-EE
in reply to: hockey_hound

The OP got his answer fast and recommendations for best practices. Kudos to all in my book. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 18 of 31
hockey_hound
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Whatever makes you feel important and helps you sleep at night, noob.
Message 19 of 31
hockey_hound

that is the point, as with all your "help", you beat around the bush to answer the question being asked.
Message 20 of 31
hockey_hound

And you replied to an eight month old question? Hmmmm sounds like you are complaining to me......... But whatever gets you through the day

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report