Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011, crashes everytime when working on a big drawing...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
NittanyEng
731 Views, 6 Replies

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011, crashes everytime when working on a big drawing...

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011

Computer Specs:

Windows 7

Xeon E5-1620 V2

16GB RAM

Quadro K4000

Everytime i am in a big drawing and start to work i get a 'Autocad not responding message' and the cursor will just spin, casuing me to restart. This will happen about every 5 minutes or so, It happens a lot when i try to import something into the document. When working on smaller drawings it doesent happe as much, but still happens.

I tried reinstalling the software, but that didnt fix the issue.

Help please.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: NittanyEng

This could be caused by other things, but one thing to do is empty your system temporary folder. Open Windows Explorer. In the address bar, type %temp% and hit enter.

Select and delete everything from this folder that will delete. Don't worry about those items that won't delete, just bypass them.

Does this BIG drawing have xref's? If so, are you using xloadctl and indexctl to load into memory only the portions you need?

PDF files in the drawing? Turning off their display can make a huge difference. Other images? Same thing.

How long have you waited while AutoCAD was not responding? Somtimes you have to be more patient. 😉

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 7
NittanyEng
in reply to: tcorey

@tcorey wrote:

This could be caused by other things, but one thing to do is empty your system temporary folder. Open Windows Explorer. In the address bar, type %temp% and hit enter.

Select and delete everything from this folder that will delete. Don't worry about those items that won't delete, just bypass them.

Does this BIG drawing have xref's? If so, are you using xloadctl and indexctl to load into memory only the portions you need?

PDF files in the drawing? Turning off their display can make a huge difference. Other images? Same thing.

How long have you waited while AutoCAD was not responding? Somtimes you have to be more patient. 😉

Tim

I’m IT and I’m reporting this issue for one of the users at the office. Gathering some more info, the crashes mainly occur when plotting to a file.
(File –> print –> plot—> DWG to PLT –> then plot to file) Then hit OK then it will crash.

AND

When trying to import an image.
(mapiinsert command, select file) hit open then it crashes.

The issue is only on this machine. Another user in the office has the exact same computer and same exact software as the one causing an issue, and the drawing works perfectly fine on the other computer. I’ve tried to replicate the issue on multiple other computers but was unable to do so they all worked fine.

The drawings that are causing the most issues are around 12mb. The image being imported is around 125MB, and it is a .tif file.

The 'AutoCAD is not responding' message runs about 5 seconds, then says along the line of 'To fix the problem AutoCAD needs to restart to fix the problem' the only option is to hit OK.

I'll try deleting the temp files and see if that helps any.
Message 4 of 7
Neilw_05

My bet is you are running out of resources. Civil 3D requires a lot of memory just to run. The version you are running is a 32 bit application so it can only utilize 4 GB of memory even though you are in a 64 bit environment with plenty of memory. For this reason Autodesk recommends a 64 bit version.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 7
NittanyEng
in reply to: Neilw_05

@Neilw wrote:

My bet is you are running out of resources. Civil 3D requires a lot of memory just to run. The version you are running is a 32 bit application so it can only utilize 4 GB of memory even though you are in a 64 bit environment with plenty of memory. For this reason Autodesk recommends a 64 bit version.

It is the 64 bit version, anyways we have other users with the same exact computer and same exact software, and the program works pretty much flawlessy on those other computers.

Message 6 of 7
Neilw_05

How time flies. It seems like only yesterday the 64 bit version was introduced (I was thinking 2013).

Perhaps a crash log would provide some clues.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 7
jmayo-EE

Does all of the data for the entire project reside in a single file?

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report