Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011 - Borehole Importer UKIE Country Kit

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
neilyj666
1730 Views, 4 Replies

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011 - Borehole Importer UKIE Country Kit

I need to create surfaces based on depths to various strata in the boreholes and by creating a TIN volume surface between each stratum surface and EG (and Land XML OUT and IN) I can derive TIN surfaces for the strata that follow the ground undulations to some extent.

I've got a csv file in the correct format and using the borehole importer all works fine with the strata extraced to point groups but the depths to strata are negative (as you'd expect). I need the depths to be positive so the TIN volume surface works correctly so is there an easy way to change the depths to be a positive value (export each point group to csv, change them in Excel and import the csv is a possibility but a bit longwinded)??

Thanks

Neil

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SethHall
in reply to: neilyj666

Hi Neil-

This may be a bit of a stretch, but did you check the minimum elevation in the surface properties is set low enough to pick up these negative elevation points?

638i8698C33E51E05688

Hope this helps!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 5
neilyj666

Hmmmm - thanks for the reply but not sure if it's relevant to this.

The borehole depths are read into Civil 3D as negative values (for obvious reasons) and they can take levels from EGL to create a series of point groups with elevation to the national datum; they can then be used to build a surface if required. However, the problem with this approach is that, for example, in certain circumstances the rockhead could start appearing above ground surface which is not usually desirable.

I would suspect the answer lies in the way that the Borehole importer routine has been written - perhaps extra code should be incorporated to allow the user to specify "positive depths" to allow TIN volume surfaces to be created easily

I did the Excel workaround in the end which worked.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Can import your boreholes at meters above sealevel. 

Message 5 of 5
neilyj666

Is this a new question or is it related to the above thread??

You create a borehole log file in csv format as detailed in the From the Ground Up blog (has data files to assist in data prep) or import direct from AGS files. The boreholes can be projected to profiles at levels above datum rather than depth below ground

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report