Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assembly problem

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
nostupidquestions
284 Views, 4 Replies

assembly problem

i've got several assemblys built for a road project. the problem is whenever i modify an assembly by adding a subassemby, some of the existing subassemblies move. they stay attached to the assembly but they disconnect from the part they were attached to. i can move them back so the assembly looks correct but when i rebuild the corridor chances are they show up wrong. i've tried 'move to' and just grabbing and snapping. i can eventually get it attached but not without trial and error. i'm running c3d2012.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

@nostupidquestions wrote:

i've got several assemblys built for a road project. the problem is whenever i modify an assembly by adding a subassemby, some of the existing subassemblies move. they stay attached to the assembly but they disconnect from the part they were attached to. i can move them back so the assembly looks correct but when i rebuild the corridor chances are they show up wrong. i've tried 'move to' and just grabbing and snapping. i can eventually get it attached but not without trial and error. i'm running c3d2012.

How have you attached the subassemblies to your assembly? Did you just grip edit and snap? Or did you use the 'Add to Assembly' command on the ribbon?

If you simply grip edited and snapped your subs to the assembly, then they aren't really attached to it, causing your corridor to not use all of your subs. Check that and get back to us.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017
in reply to: nostupidquestions

I have found 2012 to work intermittently like you say. You can get it work after some time, but it can be cumbersome.

Just FYI, 2013 has an Insert option during placement of subassemblies and it works great. You can specify Before or After a particular existing subassy and all other subs move over accordingly.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 5

the assembly was built and worked fine. i had to add a widening subassembly between two subassemblies. all the subassemblies stay attached to the assembly but they don't reconnect to each other properly.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 5 of 5

Usually see this when the AutoCAD MOVE or grip edit move commands were used to relocate subassemblies, instead of the Move To command that is available on a subassemby's shortcut menu.  Fix by using the Move To shortcut command to reassemble them in the correct order.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report