Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly preview in drawing

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Buzz0m
344 Views, 6 Replies

Assembly preview in drawing

Hi everybody!

so I'm wondering if there is a way to control how a subassembly is displayed in a drawing. Here's my problem:

I have created a subassembly with 4 offset parameters. All of the links are bound by horizontal (and vertical) constraints (defined as variables, which are functions of input parameters) and I only use the offset parameters on rare occasions. The subassembly is set to only take in account the offset parameters if they are valid (I've been using the target_parameter.isvalid -function in SAC). The subassembly works flawlessly.

What I wish to do is compare the subassembly to previously drawn cross-sections in my design drawing. My problem is that the 4 offset parameters seem to always be taken in account when the subassembly is drawn as a part of an assembly and therefore I'm not able to compare the subassembly to an existing drawing.

If this wasn't clear enoug let me give you an example:

I have an subassembly which portrays a road cross section and the width of a lane is based on an input parameter and is by default 3 m. I also have the functionality in my assembly to link the width to a polyline (offset target parameter) in case there would be some kind of lane widening or whatever it is called. This target_parameter would be set to 4 m. So when I'm in my drawing, and use this subassembly as a part of the assembly, the subassembly will always be drawn (in the assembly) as 4m wide regardless of what the input parameter is set as.

How can I work around my problem?

Sorry for the semi long post and thanks for any help!

- F

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
doni49
in reply to: Buzz0m

@Frans_Horn wrote:

Hi everybody!

so I'm wondering if there is a way to control how a subassembly is displayed in a drawing. Here's my problem:

I have created a subassembly with 4 offset parameters. All of the links are bound by horizontal (and vertical) constraints (defined as variables, which are functions of input parameters) and I only use the offset parameters on rare occasions. The subassembly is set to only take in account the offset parameters if they are valid (I've been using the target_parameter.isvalid -function in SAC). The subassembly works flawlessly.

What I wish to do is compare the subassembly to previously drawn cross-sections in my design drawing. My problem is that the 4 offset parameters seem to always be taken in account when the subassembly is drawn as a part of an assembly and therefore I'm not able to compare the subassembly to an existing drawing.

If this wasn't clear enoug let me give you an example:

I have an subassembly which portrays a road cross section and the width of a lane is based on an input parameter and is by default 3 m. I also have the functionality in my assembly to link the width to a polyline (offset target parameter) in case there would be some kind of lane widening or whatever it is called. This target_parameter would be set to 4 m. So when I'm in my drawing, and use this subassembly as a part of the assembly, the subassembly will always be drawn (in the assembly) as 4m wide regardless of what the input parameter is set as.

How can I work around my problem?

Sorry for the semi long post and thanks for any help!

- F

It doesn't sound like it's actually working flawlessly🙂

Can you post your SA?  Note:  the website won't allow you to post it using the pkt extension.  Rename it as a txt file or put it in a zip file then upload it.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 7
Buzz0m
in reply to: doni49

Hi,

yeah flawless is always subjective, right 😉 Flawless is perhaps a overstatement but it serves my need at the time beeing.

I'll attach the subassembly in the manor you desrcibed. I fear you will be having some difficulties understanding the different parameters since they don't follow any set of standards and there are alot of them... and they are derived from Finnish 😃

- Frans

Message 4 of 7
doni49

Please clariffy something for me.  When I read the last paragraph of your first message, it sounded like you were talking about the corridor not being created properly using this SA.  But in the title you talked about the "Assembly Preview".

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 7
Buzz0m

Hi,

that's what I was trying to explain. What I call a "preview" is how the subassembly is drawn in the assembly. Not how it is modelled (not the corridor). Eg. a link with a surface target varies in length depending on the distance to the surface, and therefore it is only displayed as a "preview" in the assembly but in the corridor it is modelled correctly with varying links lengths...

Hope this makes any sense to you. And thanks for taking the time to help me...

- F

Message 6 of 7
doni49

ok then.  What you see when you place the SA on your assembly can be viewed in SAC in "Layout Mode".

In the SAC preview window, you'll see a drop-down list that either says "Roadway Mode" or "Layout Mode".  Then on your point definitions, you'll see a line for layout mode -- this controlls how that point will act in this mode.

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 7
Buzz0m

Setting the "preview geometries in: roadway/layout mode" option in SAC didn't solve my problem.

I had to define my link definitions with an IF-function (in my case something like: delta x = IF(PVA=Yes AND targetparameter.isvalid,[link length defined as a function of the target parameter], [link length defined as a parameter]). This way I can change the way the subassembly is previewed directly in a civil dwg by changing the PVA-parameter in a Civil session.

Thank you again doni49 for your time and effort!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report