Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assembly offset alignment can be superelevated differently?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
wang890
844 Views, 9 Replies

assembly offset alignment can be superelevated differently?

i have a main control line and a offset alignment control line which have different profiles and superelevation. i know the offset alignment can apply profile but can the superelevation be different?
Stantec
Dell Precision 5530, Prism M320PU, C3D 14/17/19
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: wang890

Definitely, although you may need to use a separate basline in the corridor
instead of an offset assembly. I've never tried it with an offset.

Matt
Message 3 of 10
wang890

so say i have west bound and east bound alignment which is almost parallel but not quite (wider and narrower in some area). so i plot sections with EB as main line and build 1 corridor with a EB and WB baseline. How come i can't get the WB corridor sections to show up on EB sections (EB showed up ok)
Stantec
Message 4 of 10
wang890

Can you explain a bit more, i don't see how i can do it. if i create a baseline with the other alignment, because it is a different alignment it will not show up in the sections. at least it's still better than LDD on dealing with complicated highway design.
Stantec
Message 5 of 10
cadtown

No, it is not better in LDD or Ciil3D unless you can create the custom subassembly... Whoever came up with the idea of Civil3D subassembly had a very narrow vision of how he or she will design only within his/her understanding/standards because none of the subassemblies truly addresses the different standards used around the world... For example, none of the subassemblies understands the delicate relationships between different links (e.g. subgrade & shoulder vs. lane slope) during superelvation as shown in the attached pic...
It is sad but it is true...

Peter,
Message 6 of 10
wang890

Hi, Peter

i know the OOTB subassemblies aren't fit for canadian large highway project. i was thinking about getting the section 3d software. do you have good result with it, does it allow civil 3d to do complicated templates easily?

Bob
HMM
Stantec
Message 7 of 10
wang890

Oh, you are Peter the programmer of section 3d?
Stantec
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

This is a limitation of civil 3D, at least right now. You can't show
corridors from different baselines (or even offsets) in the same section
view. You can, however, show all the surfaces you want. So you'd be
creating corridor surfaces and showing those in cross section.

Matt

wrote in message news:5739960@discussion.autodesk.com...
so say i have west bound and east bound alignment which is almost parallel
but not quite (wider and narrower in some area). so i plot sections with EB
as main line and build 1 corridor with a EB and WB baseline. How come i
can't get the WB corridor sections to show up on EB sections (EB showed up
ok)
Message 9 of 10
LeafRiders
in reply to: Anonymous

Section 3D is a very useful tool for complex highway design. However, it's the clients that want to see everything derived from out of the box CIvil 3D vs. 3rd party that kind of ties our hands.

We're facing large challenges dealing with variables that we have no control over with the current Civil 3D subassemblies. Either Autodesk needs to develop a way to do this (buy Section 3D) or improve upon the Subassembly composer. 

Ultimately the user should be able to control points, links, and associations within a "subassembly" however they need to in order to meet the design criteria. Thing is convincing the powers at Autodesk to start putting design concepts as the top criteria seems to fall upon deaf ears. Civil 3D subassembly setups need to be come more dynamic, once Autodesk rethinks this or adds numerous dynamic subassemblies to their out-of-box Civil 3D the end user is forced to make exceptions to clear design standards in order to "get something close". 

The only other option is to adjust out of date design rules to be just as affective but more accommodating to the design packages we have in the year 2012. Often times the old software packages weren't able to accommodate this either. (CAiCE, EMXS, LDD, etc.)

Message 10 of 10
wfberry
in reply to: LeafRiders

As far as I can tell you are answering Matt's 5 year old post.  I think there are significant improvements now.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report