Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly locations are showing up in plan view. Can't eliminate them?

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
doni49
434 Views, 19 Replies

Assembly locations are showing up in plan view. Can't eliminate them?

There is a line (and two big dots) representing EVERY Assembly insert.  And I've been trying to figure out how to hide them.

I thought maybe they were there because of some link/point code.  But I was unable to find and thing.

In the attached screen shot (taken from a print preview), I've circled one of these dots and pointed at one of the lines.  I need to get rid of these.

Any ideas?

AssemblyDrops.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Jeff_M
in reply to: doni49

These look like point/link markers/lines from a code set. Remember, you may need to check the Default and Uncoded items as well.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 20
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: Jeff_M

Don't forget to also check the shape styles.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 4 of 20
GZE
Advocate

Go to corridor style turn off assembly insertion point
Humphrey GZE
Civil 3D 2013 64bit SP1
Elitebook 8540w
Core i7 2.8GHz, 8Gig RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX880
160Gb SSD
Message 5 of 20
doni49
in reply to: GZE

@GZE wrote:
Go to corridor style turn off assembly insertion point

Thanks.  I thought (hoped) it was something like that but I wasn't finding such a setting.  I'll look again tomorrow.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 20
BrianHailey

Don't worry about it. Do your corridor model in one drawing (a "model" drawing) and then data reference the surface to the drawing that will be plotted (a "production" drawing).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 20
doni49

That would be fine with me. EXCEPT for the fact that the corridor is also providing the line work for the EOP, shoulder and fill line.

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 20
doni49

(and curb too in another location)

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 20
BrianHailey

So, you don't mind that they don't display as curves? Or perhaps you put in a really small frequency (i.e. a TON of sections) so it looks like a curve.

Not criticizing, just honestly curious.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 20
doni49
in reply to: BrianHailey

Now that you mention it, I hadn't realized that.

Don Ireland

Message 11 of 20
andrewpuller3811

Can you remove all the detail and leave just the surfaces, profiles, assemblies etc. and post the drawing?

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 12 of 20
Jay_B

The point Brian makes re: the Production vs. Model drawings has other benefits you may not have thought of.

Plotting.

If you set up your work flow to have "overlay" dwgs for geometrics, utilities, alignments etc. and eliminate the corridor completely from the production drawings there will be a noticeable reduction in the time spent publishing or plotting via Sheet Set Manager.

We do many large 100+ sheet plan sets & when plotting the entire plan set to pdf, eliminating all corridor files from the mix makes a huge difference.

First thing we do is detach the corridor file from plan sheets. (Our align.dwg contains the corridor and profile) & we dref alignments, profiles etc. as needed for production.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 13 of 20
doni49
in reply to: GZE

😞

I just checked and "Assembly Insertion" is already turned off.  I am reluctant to turn the corridor completely off (and draw the features myself) yet because this is just the initial phase.  I need to print the plan set for review so that the "approval people" can decide if they need/want to change things,  i.e. adjust the horizontal and/or vertical alignment, change radii etc.  When I get closer to final, yes I will draw the features manually.

For now, I changed the frequency to every foot when in a curve.  But if I don't get rid of these lines and dots, Nothing will be visible anyway now that I've got the frequency set so high.  I'll continue hunting for the right code.  I'm using OOTB assemblies ("BasicLane", "ShoulderVerticalSubbase" & "BasicSideSlopeCutDitch").

AssemblyStyleDisplayProperties.png

Don Ireland

Message 14 of 20
Jay_B

Have you tried setting all individual styles within the code set style in use to "no_Display"?

Go through  one by one for all Link, Point & Shape codes on the codes tab within Corridor Properties.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 15 of 20
doni49
in reply to: Jay_B

No I hadn't tried that.  I didn't want to cause new probs with the style.  But I think I'll copy the codeset style, turn off everything and then turn on one code at a time until I find it.

That makes sense.

Don Ireland

Message 16 of 20
Jay_B

You can if you want but you can just flip back & forth to trouble shoot, no need to create a new style for but do whatever your comfortable with.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 17 of 20
doni49

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  I copied my code set style and proceeded to turn off the display of the various links.  As I found one that caused something to turn off that I did not want to see, I switched back to the main code set style and turned off that feature.  Then went back to my copy and turned off some more.

I eventually got to the point where most of the links were off.  But my feature lines were still being displayed.  So I tried turning off ALL LINKS and ALL points.

It all looks good.  I still have my EOP, shoulder & fill lines.  So I guess I have no idea where those come from (as I said in the past, my boss has me scheduled for a C3D training class in May but in the meantime, I'm doing the best I can to do what I need to do).

Oh and I increased the frequency in curves to .5 feet.  It actually looks like a decent curve until I actually draw in arcs later.  🙂

AssemblyDropGood.png

Don Ireland

Message 18 of 20
Jay_B

Glad to hear you found it. You may want to order additional ram if this is going to be your workflow though.

"Oh and I increased the frequency in curves to .5 feet.  It actually looks like a decent curve until I actually draw in arcs later."

On large projects it will slow things to a crawl and you'll quickly realize it's very cumbersome to sort through them in section editor etc. when hunting down the meaningful frequencies such as driveways, curb returns etc.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 19 of 20
doni49

Thanks for the advice.  I'll take that under consideration in the future, but such things won't be an issue on this project as there are NO driveways, curb returns etc.  Plus I only increase the frequency in curves.  In tangent areas, the frequency is set to 25 ft.

EDIT:  And there are TWO curves on this roadway.  It's an access road to get to a boat ramp and parking lot.  I work for the MO Dept of Conservation.  I've only been here a couple months but it's my understanding that this is about the largest project I'll ever need to use a corridor on.

Don Ireland

Message 20 of 20
fcernst

But my feature lines were still being displayed

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report