Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Layers

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
rico27511
689 Views, 12 Replies

Assembly Layers

Whenever I create an assembly from the tool palette several C-ROAD layers are added to the drawing. I can't find a way to create an assembly without using these layers. In addition, if the assembly(ies) are deleted it is not possible to remove these layers from the drawing. I want to use the layers we have set up in our template instead of the C-ROAD layers. Version is 2013.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Jay_B
in reply to: rico27511

Toolspace>Rt Click dwg name>Drawing Settings>Object Layers>Assembly.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 13
rico27511
in reply to: Jay_B

Assembly object layer is already set to the desired setting. When as assembly is created it seems to ignore the drawing settings.

Message 4 of 13

Just to confirm, you are dragging a pre-built assembly from a tool pallette, correct?

If so, look in the "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2014\enu\Assemblies" folder for the dwg that matches the assembly name, this is where your added layers are probably comming from.

If you are creating a new assembly from the ribbon that should be covered by your command settings.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 5 of 13

Mike,

That is correct. I am dragging and dropping a pre-defined assembly from the tool palette. I will look in the assemblies folder for the drawings. Thanks!

Message 6 of 13
Jay_B

In dragging an Assembly off the Palette you are bringing a bunch of information that was used in the definition of that Assembly prior to dragging it to the palette.

For example it will have an "Assembly Style", a "Code Set Style" and other styles associated to it.

As a test create a new dwg using the OOTB  Acad.dwt (it only has layer zero in it).

Drag that assembly into this new dwg.

Review the layers as many have been added. Study the Assy. properties as you'll see an assembly style etc. behind the scenes.

Hope that helps.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 7 of 13
rico27511

That is where the layers are coming from. The issue I am having is I can't purge these layers even if there are no assemblies in my drawing.

Message 8 of 13
Jay_B

Nope you can't, not until you seek and destroy them from within the associated styles.

In C3d if a layer is set within a style it can't be deleted or purged (without drastic measures) that won't help your cause here.

This is because a layer considered to be in use if associated to a style.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 9 of 13
rico27511

But all of the layers in the assembly style are set to 0.

Message 10 of 13
Jay_B

Unfortunately it's not using your current settings in this case. It's using whatever the Palette Assembly compsition happens to be that is being dragged into the drawing. I don't really know of a better way to explain it.

Sorta like bringing in a wblock that has a completly different layer structure into a drawing that layer standards are meant to be followed in.

If you try my test I mentioned and study that drawing as suggested I think then it may all start to make sense for you.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 11 of 13
rico27511

Thanks. I will take a look at that. We don't usually use the predefined assemblies from the tool palette. I am just trying to purge the C-ROAD layers from our template since we don't use them. But now we are stuck with those layers and I can't get rid of them.

Message 12 of 13
Jay_B

In that case, if your using mainly layer zero in your styles then consider the Layer Merge command to merge the C-ROAD layers into layer zero.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 13 of 13
rico27511

Yeah, I think layer merge is the best (or I should say only) option at this point.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report