Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assembly c3d 2012

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
lambertb
618 Views, 13 Replies

assembly c3d 2012

I am trying to create an assembly. I need to to go horizontal for 1.5 feet, then down to existing ground at an 8:1 slope. I need a shape the creates from the origin, down vertical to the daylight elevation, then over to the daylight point. In the attached picture, I need to create the orange shape using the green lines as a guide. Any ideas.

Thanks.

C3D 2022 and 2024
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
tcorey
in reply to: lambertb

You can add a LinkWidthandSlope to the end of Dayliight. Have it target the centerline as its horizontal target. Add a linkVertical to that and have it target (for elevation) the centerline FG profile.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 14
lambertb
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks. That's a great start. Now can I set the horizontal target offset? I need to create the vertical face on the backside (left) and when I target the horizontal alignment, it akes that link vertical so it doesn't trianglulate.

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 4 of 14
Joe-Bouza

WAARNING c3d TIn does not like to have vertical faces

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 14
fcernst

Go down from the assembly point with a LinkOffsetAndElevation and then over with a  LinkOffsetAndSlope reading in the Daylight's End Elevation and End Offset.

Nothing closer than 0.0001 from each other for the Delaunay triangulation in C3D.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 14
BrianHailey

A couple things, unless there is quite the vertical exageration to your drawing, that's much steeper than 8:1. More like 1:8.

Second thing, go ahead and use the vertical link despite what the nay sayers might say (said in all kindness and good ribbing). You can simply set your corridor surface to have an overhang correction. In this case I used Top Links and it worked just fine.

In this image, you'll see two surface, one representing the top from the 1.5' link and the daylight to surface (grey). The other is the datum using the link back to center and the vertical link to the profile (green).

Surface with Vertical Link.png

And here is teh assembly set up exactly the way Tim Corey recommended:

assembly.png

And here are the corridor targets:

Targets.png

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 14
neilyj666
in reply to: BrianHailey

"...that's much steeper than 8:1. More like 1:8...."

If the OP is in a part of the world (as I am) where slopes are quoted in the correct way i.e. V:H then the slope does indeed look like 8V:1H..Smiley Wink

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 8 of 14
fcernst
in reply to: BrianHailey

I 'm curious why you would insist he does it that way?

The way I suggested I would contend is much more efficient. He would not have the extra overhead of having to set and manage Corridor Targets and Overhang Correction settings.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 14
tcorey
in reply to: fcernst

This thread illustrates the beauty of Civil 3D. There are several ways to accomplish the same thing.

In this case it is how to handle the overhang. I agree with Brian Hailey about using overhang correction, but another poster showed a way to make it work using just the assembly, so you don't have to remember to set the overhang correction. That might be important in a larger organization where the assembly is created by an expert but applied by a less-experienced operator.

Great thread.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 10 of 14
lambertb

Thanks for the help. Still having some problems. Is a shape defined by links? I need the orange shape to calculate volumes. Does piecing together generic links create a shape or does one need to go into subassembly composer...Which would be another topic for me.

When you mention reading in daylight for elevation and offlset, how do you do this? I tried a corridor feature but the message was feature is created from current corridor.

Just seems like a should be able to make a shape and have the back point to be -.1' horizontal from the origin, the = to daylight elevation for the vertical.

I do apologize as I am coming from InRoads where there templates use general contraints like horizontal and vertical. I do hope with more time to be able to create the crazy templates in C3D the same way I can in InRoads now.

Thanks.

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 11 of 14
tcorey

Make the top links have a link code of Top and the bottom links have a link code of Datum. Create a Corridor Surface for each code. Compare the two surfaces for volumes.

A shape is part of a single subassembly. The cross section volumes will add up all shapes of the same name across an assembly. In your situation, the subassy's have 0 thickness, so no shape can be created.

The workaround would be to use the Subassembly Composer, where you can create your own shapes.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 12 of 14
fcernst

When you mention reading in daylight for elevation and offlset, how do you do this?

I mean use the Ouput parameters from one subassembly as the Input parameters for another. It's really cool.

A truly great design feature option and implementation from the C3D design team, I think.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 13 of 14
BrianHailey
in reply to: fcernst

@fcernst wrote:

I mean use the Ouput parameters from one subassembly as the Input parameters for another. It's really cool.

A truly great design feature option and implementation from the C3D design team, I think.

I totally agree! This option makes assemblies SO much more versitile. I've been able to adjust depths of things by targeting profiles that have an elevation that matches the depth needed. Need to transition the depth? Just use the elevation of the profile.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 14 of 14
BrianHailey

@lambertb wrote:

Thanks for the help. Still having some problems. Is a shape defined by links? I need the orange shape to calculate volumes. Does piecing together generic links create a shape or does one need to go into subassembly composer...Which would be another topic for me.

When you mention reading in daylight for elevation and offlset, how do you do this? I tried a corridor feature but the message was feature is created from current corridor.

Just seems like a should be able to make a shape and have the back point to be -.1' horizontal from the origin, the = to daylight elevation for the vertical.

I do apologize as I am coming from InRoads where there templates use general contraints like horizontal and vertical. I do hope with more time to be able to create the crazy templates in C3D the same way I can in InRoads now.

Thanks.

Perhaps LinkMulti would give you the shape you need although I think it would be easier to create the two surfaces and do a volume between them in this instance.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report