Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Areas of Elevation Bands

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
wings1080
1654 Views, 12 Replies

Areas of Elevation Bands

hi there!

i have a bathymetry map that I need the total square footage areas for the following depth bands

shallowest to 39

39-42

42-45

45 to deepest

any ideas?  is there an easy way?

see the attached image, i would need a sum total of the square footage for the CYAN and the GREEN each

THANKS!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
wfberry
in reply to: wings1080

Perhaps Murph will sneak in here shortly, but it appears to me that you could use Raster Design to select pixel colors.  Believe me, this is as far as I can go.

Bill

Message 3 of 13
ericvallejo7526

You can get an area by adding/creating a legend table: elevation.  You can find the legend table either in the ribbon tab if you have the surface selected or under the surface menu "Add Legend Table..."

Depending on how your table style is setup, you can add a field for "Surface Range 2D Area".  Hope this helps!

Eric Vallejo, LSI
Missman, Inc.
Civil 3D 2014, SP2
Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
Message 4 of 13
wings1080
in reply to: wfberry

wow, can you say a little more about the raster/pixel approach?
Message 5 of 13
wings1080
in reply to: ericvallejo7526

this is exactly what i was hoping for!!!

would it be possible for you to please describe the steps in doing this?
Message 6 of 13
ericvallejo7526

Assuming your surface is created and ranges are set, you will next need to set up the table style:

1. Go to "Settings" tab in your Toolspace
  2. Under Surface --> Table Styles -->Elevation  there should be a table style (assuming these styles were never set up, it will most likely be "Standard")
  3. Right Click and "Edit.." OR "Copy..." the style
  4. In the "Table Style" dialog box, go to the "Data Properties" tab
  5. To create a field for your specific need, click on the "+" (plus sign) to add a new field
  6. You may have to scroll to the right to see the blank field, click in the emtpy "Column Value" box
  7. Go to the "Properties" tab, then under "Properties:" select "Surface Range 2D Area" and edit any desired "Values"
  8. Click the Arrow "-->" to input the field into the Column, then Click OK

This will populate the "Column Value". You will just need to add a "Header", then edit your table based on how detailed you want to get.

Eric Vallejo, LSI
Missman, Inc.
Civil 3D 2014, SP2
Message 7 of 13
wings1080
in reply to: ericvallejo7526

ugh, i am using civil 3d 2012, is it possible we have different dialog boxes?  see attached screen shot ... i don't see a "properties" tab as you describe in step 7

Message 8 of 13
wings1080

also, ranges aren't set, how do i do this please?
Message 9 of 13
ericvallejo7526

In step 6. you will need to click in the empty Column Value box; in there you will see the properties tab.

You will set your elevation ranges, color etc. via the surface properties, under the Analysis tab.

Eric Vallejo, LSI
Missman, Inc.
Civil 3D 2014, SP2
Message 10 of 13
wings1080

i think i may have figured it out, can someone please tell me how to interpret these numbers?  (see attached)

for speaking purposes, number 5 which is 43' to 44', what is the 12,164.09 area????

Message 11 of 13
ericvallejo7526

The number in the most lefterly column (the number 5), is simply an identifier for a specific range.

If you chose to define the column properties as "Surface Range 2D Area", the column with "12,164.09" is the total surface area of the given range.  This result is also dependant on what "values" (Units, Precision, etc.)  you set in the Column "properties" (step 6-7).

Eric Vallejo, LSI
Missman, Inc.
Civil 3D 2014, SP2
Message 12 of 13
wings1080

hmm are these areas in square feet or acres?  where can i find that out please?

Message 13 of 13
wings1080

thanks Eric

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report