Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you guys really labels for final plan drawings

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
268 Views, 14 Replies

Are you guys really labels for final plan drawings

I have not made the switch to Civil 3D, but have been reading a lot of books, running a lot of tutorials, and reading a lot of seminars at Autocad U. I have spent a few days on alignment and profile labels. I think that they will be great to use for design, but for final plan preparation, I don't think you can make them look presentable enough for final plans. Are you using them for final plan annotation or are you drafting "manually" or with some simple VBA application for your final plan and profile annotations?

Thanks,

Jeff
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
dana.probert
in reply to: Anonymous

there have been very few labels i have not been able to get to look good and meet the requirements of the juridictions that i work in.

some samples at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/civil3diva/sets/72157594386462561/detail/

and always ideas at www.civil3d.com
Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 3 of 15
dana.probert

actually looking at those images... they aren't my prettiest styles. i need to spend some time this weekend screen capturing some more elaborate ones. keep that link and check back monday-ish. i'm due for some blogging anyway.
Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 4 of 15
dana.probert

this set- the GBA project- has some snazzier styles in it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/civil3diva/sets/72157594406090915/detail/
Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

I have no trouble using Civil 3D label styles for final drawings. Like Dana
said, I have rarely come across a label style I can't tweak to be good
enough.

Matt
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

How do you guys deal with drafting vertical curve annotations that go across "identical point" breaks if the profile? By 'identical point" breaks, I mean when the profile goes too far down the grid and you need to break the profile and move half of the profile up 2.5" or so.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

I always liked you better than Hickey. 🙂
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Ok that does suck. That's why I'm really liking 2008.

Matt
Message 9 of 15
dana.probert

you just like my parcels.
Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

What's different with 2008? Is there a link with the upgrades?
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

jpostlewait wrote:
> I always liked you better than Hickey. 🙂

hey Hey HEY!

Well, she *is* a bit easier on the eyes 😉

--
Jason Hickey
www.civil3d.com
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

jwilkerson wrote:
> What's different with 2008? Is there a link with the upgrades?

www.civil3d.com 😉

And split profiles would be one of those upgrades.

--
Jason Hickey
www.civil3d.com
Message 13 of 15
Sinc

There are some things with Parcels that really bite, at least in 2007. Don't know if any of them have been fixed in 2008.

Key issue is that parcels don't fully model what we do in the real world. In the real world, we have the equivalent of "nested parcels". In other words, we have a large area of land. This area of land gets split into districts. These districts get split into subdivisions or filings. These subdivisions or filings get split into things like lots/tracts and ROW. At each, level, there's a logical grouping of parcels. And at the lowest level, there are two distinct types of elements - ROW and lots/tracts. The key difference between them is that ROW is based on an alignment.

C3D does not model this particularly well. Instead, you get Parcels, and the only way to group parcels is in a Site. So you can sort-of use a Site to equate to a Subdivision or Filing boundary. This lets you use the Site boundary as your outer subdivision boundary. But Sites are independent of each other, so you have to manually keep Sites synchronized with each other. And there's a way of creating ROW parcels from alignments, but the connection is not persistent. If you move the alignment, the parcels stay where they are.

And there are lots of problems with parcel labels. The worst is what I call the "style breeding problem". Part of the problem is the inability to override the style settings for individual labels, leading to the creation of lots of styles. Another is the fact that text height is part of the style, so the user must create lots of similar styles to get labels with different text heights. But there are also serious problems with curve labels, which seem to date back to the old "an arc is always defined counterclockwise" thing in the core product. And spanning labels can be a real pain. And it's difficult to get the equivalent of Land Desktops' "direction, distance on same side of line". And then there's the inability to position labels differently in different viewports. And then there's...

Ah, but I could go on for quite some time. There are a ton of problems, but all-in-all, I think I like it better than Land Desktop. And hopefully the implementation will get better quickly. I, for one, would like Autodesk to completely redesign the labels. For example, I'd like to see labels that can be configured to space out evenly along line segments, but auto-stack to fit available space on short segments, rather than requiring multiple label styles.
Sinc
Message 14 of 15
eallen

How do you guys deal with labeling structures around intersections?

It would be really nice if you could override the auto rotate feature and be able to manually rotate the C3D labels to look right on both P & P sheets of an intersection.

Other than that, I like the C3D labeling.
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Specifically what is the problem with P & P intersections?

Bill

wrote in message news:5509421@discussion.autodesk.com...
How do you guys deal with labeling structures around intersections?

It would be really nice if you could override the auto rotate feature and be
able to manually rotate the C3D labels to look right on both P & P sheets of
an intersection.

Other than that, I like the C3D labeling.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report