Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving With Data Shortcuts and the SSM

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ArchD
609 Views, 2 Replies

Archiving With Data Shortcuts and the SSM

At our office, we use data shortcuts and the Sheet Set Manager. When it comes to archiving the project at milestones or doing an eTransmittal, data shortcuts do not create a new relationship to the archived files that contain the Civil 3D data shortcuts. I am looking for a solution to this if anyone has it.

For example, if we have a drawing that contains a surface and an alignment, we would externally reference this file into a plan view, and data shortcut the alignment and surface into a cross section sheet, both of which are apart of a sheet set in the SSM. When we go to archive this sheet set, it recognizes the surface drawing as an xref and archives it. The problem comes when you go into the archived drawing and notice that the data shortcut to the surface in the cross section drawing still points to the original surface, not the archived surface. Xref-wise it's fine, data shortcut wise it is not.

Also we do referencing using sheet views through the SSM as well. If you archive the .dst then open the archived drawings the sheet views loose their renumbering and renaming that you may have done. I found that if you exclude the .dst file when you archive/eTransmit, the fields for the reference are maintained. Is this the best solution in this case?

We are looking into using Vault with our projects because I know that you can move or rename files and all external reference links are maintained automatically. Are data shortcut links maintained in the same manner, or only xref links? Does Vault have archive capabilities that would relink data shortcuts to the archived versions? Does Vault have any archiving capabilities at all?

Outside of Vault are there any solutions to these issues that I am not aware of?

Archie Dodge
Applications Expert - Infrastructure Solutions Division
IMAGINiT Technologies
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
charles.mmoloke
in reply to: ArchD

Did you end up finding solution to this problem? If so, can you please share

Message 3 of 3
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: ArchD

I keep all the project drawings and DS files and folders in one place do achive is ease o just copy the root folder to an archive location the xrefs are relative then go the DS editor and edit the path 

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report