Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arch pipe within part builder?

58 REPLIES 58
Message 1 of 59
billneu08
6362 Views, 58 Replies

Arch pipe within part builder?

Has anyone created Arch pipe within part builder? I have a huge list of additional pipe that I'm willing to trade for Arch pipe .

Looking for the below sizes.

22"
28"
36"
44"
51"
58"
65"
73"
88"
102"

If you would like a list of the pipe I have already added just e-mail me at.

bneu at alignex dot com

Thanks
Bill Neuhauser P.E.
58 REPLIES 58
Message 21 of 59
billneu08
in reply to: billneu08

For those that don't know how. (most of use reading this thread!) Once you have this .zip file unzip it into the following folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2009\enu\Pipes Catalog\US Imperial Pipes\Storm Pipes

Now run C3D and open your template file then type PARTCATALOGREGEN this will recompile the stock catalog and add in the new arch pipe. (Press P for pipes)

Now the new arch pipe will be in your pipes catalog which you will now have access too and be able to add to any parts list.

Bill Neuhauser P.E.

Happy New Year!
Message 22 of 59
davelglen

Lisa, I think you will find that things posted here are already in the Civil Community site under AutoCad Civil 3d. Did you have in mind posting it in some other category?
Dave
Message 23 of 59
KEStewart

OK - Maybe I am missing something - but after building an arch pipe on my own, and also after using the example provided on this thread (arch.zip) by davelglen - I am coming up with the same problem...

My arch pipe is not showing up at the correct elevation in profile or section.

I'm sure that this is probably because of the way that Part Builder defines the arch pipe, but I am curious if anyone else has encountered this, and if they have conquered it, what was the remedy?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin Stewart
Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7-4790 CPU
32.0 GB
64-bit Operating System
NVIDIA Quadro K2200
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 24 of 59
ccookusi
in reply to: kcobabe

Hello,

Is there any way I can get a hold of your RCP ARCH Pipe Catalog?

Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
NVMe Samsung SSD 960 Boot
16 GB Ram
Message 25 of 59
kcobabe
in reply to: KEStewart

I do work for Jacobs and I believe we are still a solution partner with Autodesk.  However, I cannot share my catalog because it was built on company time.  Making it a proprietary document that I cannot share.

If anyone still needs help with building these parts I would be more than willing to help.  They key is using the unbounded lines to hold the shape.  I'm posting a pic of my elliptical and arch pipes to show what I'm talking about.

ell.jpg

arch.jpg

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 26 of 59
ccookusi

Ok, No problem.
Thanks for replying..

Chris Cook | CADD Solutions
USI Consultants, Inc.
8415 E. 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46216

Office: 317 544-4996 | Direct: 317 522-2478 | Cell: 317 372-3555
ccook@usiconsultants.com | www.usiconsultants.com

[AutoCAD_Civil_3D_2015_Certified_Professional_Badge]
Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
NVMe Samsung SSD 960 Boot
16 GB Ram
Message 27 of 59
alonzom_90

Were you able to fix this issue? I'm having the same problem.

C3D 2015
Message 28 of 59
Avera737
in reply to: alonzom_90

I was able to create a Pipe Arch part family based on standard CMP sizes from CONTECH.  Alonzom_90, I do not know if this solves your problem, but let me know.

To install, create the directory C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2016\enu\Pipes Catalog\US Imperial Pipes\Arch Pipe, copy the .zip into this folder, extract.  You will then want to fire up CAD, run "partcatalogregen," and select "Pipes."  Create a new part family in any part list you have (storm sewer?).  You can easily add all sizes as they are configured in a table.

Message 29 of 59
jsender
in reply to: Avera737

Thank you very much for sharing your arch pipe file.  It just so happens that I am currently working on a culvert design project using an arch pipe from CONTECH and your file has saved me many hours of work and frustration trying to fumble around in Parts Builder.  Thank you so much!!!

Any chance you've done a similar thing with the CONTECH arch pipe end sections?

Message 30 of 59
Avera737
in reply to: jsender

I do not, but when/if I complete them I will certainly share them.  My current solution has been a "dumb" 2D style.

I did find a great CMP end section part at one point (see attached).  That's where I would start for the pipe arch end section, but honestly I'm not sure if that is the right approach.

Message 31 of 59
alonzom_90

@Avera737 Thank you for posting your Catalog!

Unfortunatey I am still having the same problem.

I uploaded your zip file, added it to my part directory, ran partcatalog regen, went into my parts list added the part family and the different pipe sizes.

I go and create a pipe network and this is what i see.

In plan view the pipe has the wrong dimensions. and actually it doesnt matter what pipe you size you choose they all shopw up with 17' width. I wanted to model a 71" S x 47" R CMP. instead the pipe gets drawn at 17ft in plan view.

Arch1.JPG

I proceed and give my pipe inverts of 0.00' both ends.

In my sections view my pipe looks great. the inverts match and the pipe height is correct.

Arch2.JPG

when I draw the pipe in a profile view the pipe looks good to but its drawn with the wrong dimensions and it had the incorrect invert.

Arch3.JPG

I am currently working on a big project (62 miles long) with 110 culverts. We have multiple firms working on it and its important that when the pipe is drawn and the data shortcut is created the pipe needs to have consistent invert/shape and dimensions for the plan, sections and profile views.

What i have done currently is i modeled concrete boxes to accomodate for the rise vs stand difference. in profile view they look incorrect but if there is no way around this we may just hand draw them in the profiles where we need them. The project is at a 30% design.

I've tried reading up on parts builder and trtied creating a part family but i was unsucesseful. If anybody out there has any tips or suggestions its greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

C3D 2015

Message 32 of 59
alonzom_90

Thank you for posting your Catalog!

Unfortunatey I am still having the same problem.

I uploaded your zip file, added it to my part directory, ran partcatalog regen, went into my parts list added the part family and the different pipe sizes.

I go and create a pipe network and this is what i see.

In plan view the pipe has the wrong dimensions. and actually it doesnt matter what pipe you size you choose they all shopw up with 17' width. I wanted to model a 71" S x 47" R CMP. instead the pipe gets drawn at 17ft in plan view.

Arch1.JPG

I proceed and give my pipe inverts of 0.00' both ends.

In my sections view my pipe looks great. the inverts match and the pipe height is correct.

Arch2.JPG

when I draw the pipe in a profile view the pipe looks good to but its drawn with the wrong dimensions and it had the incorrect invert.

Arch3.JPG

I am currently working on a big project (62 miles long) with 110 culverts. We have multiple firms working on it and its important that when the pipe is drawn and the data shortcut is created the pipe needs to have consistent invert/shape and dimensions for the plan, sections and profile views.

What i have done currently is i modeled concrete boxes to accomodate for the rise vs stand difference. in profile view they look incorrect but if there is no way around this we may just hand draw them in the profiles where we need them. The project is at a 30% design.

I've tried reading up on parts builder and trtied creating a part family but i was unsucesseful. If anybody out there has any tips or suggestions its greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

C3D 2015

Message 33 of 59
Avera737
in reply to: alonzom_90

alonzom_90,

Try running "partbuilder," open the pipe arch family, run "units," set to inches, save the part family (using the icon in the sidebar), and refresh the library.

You may need to create the parts again in your template, but this should resolve the issue.  I must have inadvertenly changed that before uploading the family.

Let me know how you make out.

Message 34 of 59
alonzom_90

@Avera737

that fixed the issue issue. Thank you!
Message 35 of 59
annw2

Is anyone aware of any updates to this post in the last 8 years?

I am interested in a Contech 10 ft X 3.5 ft high open bottom arch pipe.

Has anyone created a pipe network part family for this?

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 36 of 59
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: annw2

Anne -

Feel free to pull this and modify https://github.com/MattAndersonPE/Civil-3D-Catalog/tree/master/US%20Imperial%20Pipes/Arch%20Pipes 

I never got around to the open-bottom pipes.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 37 of 59
annw2
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Thanks Mat.

Are these just the standard CMP small arch pipes?  I might have a use for those on another project.

The project I am looking at is a 10 ft wide by 3.5 high open bottom pipe.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 38 of 59
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: annw2

Yes, those are standard arch pipes - either concrete or metal.  

To save me the research - email me the family geometry...

Matthew.Anderson.pe at gmail.com

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 39 of 59

Civil 3d 2017 comes with concrete horizontal elliptical arch pipes.

Message 40 of 59
pbrockamp

@KEStewart wrote:
OK - Maybe I am missing something - but after building an arch pipe on my own, and also after using the example provided on this thread (arch.zip) by davelglen - I am coming up with the same problem...

My arch pipe is not showing up at the correct elevation in profile or section.

I'm sure that this is probably because of the way that Part Builder defines the arch pipe, but I am curious if anyone else has encountered this, and if they have conquered it, what was the remedy?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

This part is flawed.  It doesn't know where the invert is.  When you swap part it changes the invert of the pipe.  Does 2017 have a working Arch Pipe part?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report