Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arc tangent to line and arc

105 REPLIES 105
SOLVED
Message 1 of 106
AllenJessup
28000 Views, 105 Replies

Arc tangent to line and arc

I thought this would be simple but I can't get it to work.

I'm trying to draw an arc that's tangent to a line at a specific point and tangent to an arc. I drew the line, started the arc command, hit enter to force the arc tangent to the line at the endpont and then tried to use a Tangent OSnap to hit tangent to the arc. This is what I got. Note the Tangent snap at the midpoint of the arc.

tan.PNG

If I accept the Tangent snap it does draw the new arc to the midpoint of the existing arc. Definitely not tangent.  Does this mean there is no solution? I think I'm missing something. I'm usually aiming for a set radius and have no trouble. This is kind of a Best Fit situation. The only criteria are that the new arc be tangent to the red line at the intersection with the yellow line and tangent to the red arc.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Tags (2)
105 REPLIES 105
Message 61 of 106

@AllenJessup wrote:

OK. The Lisp comes out with the same answer as the formula,16.4048. However I'm still missing tangency to the arc by 0.05783658m. The tangency on the line is perfect. I'm going to start a gain and see if I can figure why I'm seeing that.

For some reason I've been having trouble with arcs in this drawing. I have a SR open with Autodesk regarding fillet results that don't quite fit.

Allen

16.4048 is the answer to the equation if the angle used is 121 degrees, but the angel is not 121 Use these numbers and you will get :

Trust me, its correct. And I believe Doni's lisp is using the formula.

16.268449m

Point of tangency coordinate accurate to 5 decimal places.

cosine_contd.png

Message 62 of 106

OK. I probably caused a lot of confusion when I posted the drawing. I later found that while the yellow line was still perpendicular to the red line. It had been moved aprox. 0.10 away. So there were 2 endpoints there and close to each other. This is what I actually needed to work with:

alt.PNG

So the final answer is 16.40508700.

I still havn't been able to do it with an Alignment because my alignment tools won't work. I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 63 of 106

I was excited to see this problem. Have used this test problem with our new surveyors.

I just skimmed through the posts and if a solution was given, I apologize.

I like basic cad.

Take a line 90 degrees to your tangent, copy it to the radius of the curve you want to hit, extend the line to the curve, draw a line from that intersection to the end tangent. Now extend the curve to hit it. That is the PRC. Extend it to the original line at 90 degrees to your tangent and you have your radius.  

Capture.JPG

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 64 of 106
Pointdump
in reply to: jefflambert9091

Jeff,

Are you any kin to Johann Heinrich Lambert, inventor of the Transverse Mercator and Lambert Conformal Conic Map Projections?

JHL.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 65 of 106
Pointdump
in reply to: AllenJessup

Allen,

See what you started? This Monster Thread might soon dwarf the "2015 Bug List" thread.smiley-cool02.gif smiley-dance013.gif

P.S. I was having problems with my Alignment Tools, too, until Joe squared me away.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 66 of 106
Neilw_05

I tested your geometry and I don't get a solution. Please review the screen recording and see if I followed the steps properly.

http://screencast.com/t/zy5VGQJpL
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 67 of 106
Neilw_05

I've found the missing piece to your graphical solution Jeff. The center of the final arc is found by projecting the perpendicular bisector of the chord between the original tangent line and the PRC. See screen recording.

http://screencast.com/t/rbP7Ttgq

One kudo for you. Well done!

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 68 of 106

Excellent!
Message 69 of 106
doni49
in reply to: Neilw_05

@Neilw wrote:

I've found the missing piece to your graphical solution Jeff. The center of the final arc is found by projecting the perpendicular bisector of the chord between the original tangent line and the PRC. See screen recording.

http://screencast.com/t/rbP7Ttgq

One kudo for you. Well done!

I must be missing something.  How did you find the end point of the chord line (the point shown in the image)?

EDIT:  Never mind.  I took another look and realized you're offsetting through the center pt of the original curve the perpendicular line that was drawn at the end of the tangent line.  Nice!  I love the way this board comes together to help everyone.  🙂

Neil.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 70 of 106

That's wonderful Jeff. I was hoping for a graphical solution. I had a feeling that there must be one. In fact if there is a mathematical solution I think there has to be a graphical proof.

Now I have to ask the inconvenient question. Why won't the software do it? Why does the tangent snap take you to the middle of the arc? This is the type of thing AutoCAD should excel at!

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 71 of 106
AllenJessup
in reply to: doni49

Don,

Copy the line drawn at 90° to the original tangent line to the center of the arc. Then extend that line to intersect the arc. That intersection gives you that point.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 72 of 106
doni49

@AllenJessup wrote:

Why won't the software do it?

My guess would be a software bug.  I can't imagine that they'd ever intentionally plan for it to do what you've experienced.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 73 of 106
Joe-Bouza

It does it for me. accurate to 8 decimal places

Your Name

EESignature

Message 74 of 106
AllenJessup
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

What does it Joe?

Don's Lisp does it right down to 14 decimal places. Strangely the graphical solution fails after 11 places.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 75 of 106
doni49

Allen,

I set my units to the maximum precision it allows me to do:  8 decimal places.  How are you finding that the measurement is off at 11 decimal places?

Don Ireland

Message 76 of 106

8, 11, or 14 decimal places… I’ll take it!

After drafting thousands of lots is subdivision in the old days, plain AutoCAD was about it. I have just been used to using plain CAD for this purpose. The fillet command works well!! I tried the software and after a while I just gave up. I am now inspired to find out why the software won’t do it.  

Dave, I don’t think I am related to Johann. Maybe, if I was I might have learned about it a little quicker! I have always wondered! 🙂

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 77 of 106
AllenJessup

Don,

Draw a line from endpoint to endpoint and used this lisp to list the length of that line to 14 decimal places.

AutoCAD will tell you you've drawn a zero length line but don't believe it.

Allen

;; Return line length to 14 decimal places as a string.
:: By Joe Burke in Autocad 2006 discussion group on 02-09-2006

(defun c:LG ( / e )
  (vl-load-com)
  (if (setq e (car (entsel "\nSelect line: ")))
    (progn
      (setq e (vlax-ename->vla-object e))
      (rtos (vlax-get e 'Length) 2 14)
    )
  )
)
(princ "Type LG to start") ;end

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 78 of 106
doni49

ok.  I was trying to measure with plain old acad tools.  When I use autolisp to measure, it shows me what you're talking about.

When I used my lsp routine, and then do as you say, it produces a line that's "0.00000000001029" long.  When I use the graphical solution, I get a line that's "0.00000000000575".  So in my test case, the graphical solution was actually more accurate than the lisp routine version.

Don Ireland

Message 79 of 106

I've posted a Screencast of this answer https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/01a2eca4-27cc-40e4-9691-1f606c3a741b

Thanks very much, Jeff, for helping me with some of the basic AutoCAD skills I've lost over the years.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 80 of 106
AllenJessup

doni49 wrote:

When I used my lsp routine, and then do as you say, it produces a line that's "0.00000000001029" long.  When I use the graphical solution, I get a line that's "0.00000000000575".  So in my test case, the graphical solution was actually more accurate than the lisp routine version.

That's strange. Every time I use your Lisp I get zeros out to 14 places. Are you using Fillet to trim out the circle?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report