Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

apply grid scale factor when importing from FBK

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
donal.mcmoreland
1469 Views, 3 Replies

apply grid scale factor when importing from FBK

Hello all,

I have a couple of field book file related questions, hopefully someone can help me...

1. Can you apply a grid scale factor to measured distances when importing from an fbk file? You can apply using coordinate transformation if importing from csv file but I need to use FBK files to allow the user to make changes to the observation data of the points. As far as I can see the translate survey database command allows you to shift easting, northing, rotation and elevation but not scale. There is mention of a workaround at the following link but I could not locate this on the Civil Community. Has anyone heard anything about this?

http://www.ejsurveying.com/Articles/C3DConversionSettings.aspx

"The Survey Data must first be imported from the FBK into the Survey Database, then translated/rotated in the Survey Database using the Survey Addition available from Autodesk Civil Community website, or some other third-party solution."

2. Also on fbk files, I have manually typed in alphnumeric point ID's for the point number in the field (see fbk file attached, file extension changed). When importing the resulting fbk file into Civil 3D the point ID's come in under point name and I cannot determine where it is getting the point number from? Opening the fbk file in notepad I do not see any of the point numbers that are getting assigned to the points in C3D. Any ideas where these numbers are coming from? Also is it possible to import alphanumeric strings as point numbers using fbk format?

Using description keys would require manually entering in the point ID as an attribute with each point (it automatically appears if added as point number with incremental identifier). This doesnt seem like a big deal but tI may have up to 10,000 sections to survey with 250 points in each section so it would be time consuming.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

In answer to your first question:

Use the .fbk command "SCALE FACTOR #.########" to apply your local scale factor near the top of your field book, like the EDM/PRISM OFFSET lines , (replace #'s with the actual scale factor). Then go to the Survey pulldown, Edit Database Settings,  and check Scale factor under teh Measurement Corrections grouping. Now your .fbk should scale when it imports.

Second question:

Check the Point Identitiy settings in your drawing/template under Point->Commands->CreatePoints. As far as I know you can't use Alpha point names. There is a name column for points in C3D, but you would have to make a custom import format, it won't work with fbk.

Ian McClain
Message 3 of 4

Ian,

Thanks for your reply - that is a great help. There isn't much information on the web on this topic, and some is even misleading in that it would lead you to believe that applying the scale factor can only be applied using coord. systems. Good to know that it can be acheived, thanks.

It looks like we might have to find another way around the point identifier issue.

cheers

Donal

www.civilintentions.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 4

Make sure that you use the proper factor to scale your distances with. I suspect that what you really need to use is called the COMBINATION FACTOR, and is the product (multiplication) of the geodetic scale factor and the elevation factor.  Ask the licensed land surveyor in charge of your mapping project for this number.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report